The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ilya Mikheyev

1 minute ago, Darius said:

Just my opinion here...

Aside from Miller (and thinking that Bo and Boeser are not going anywhere in managements eyes) Garland is our best chance to upgrade the D as a trade chip.  Hes also a small winger who I cant see being dominant against legit cup contender teams in the playoffs when the screws clamp down and the checking , hitting, ramps up.  

Its also arguable whether Mikheyev is a downgrade. Each brings unique elements to the team, but I like the speed, size and defensive / PK abilities Mikheyev brings to the table.

It's not like Garland is gonna fetch us a top 2 dman though. I'd rather keep him unless some miracle happened and he did.

Garland was so severely underrated by this fan base. Nobody cared for all of the finer details he did to help the team succeed. Having somebody that can control the puck in the offensive zone is a very difficult trait to find in a player and is extremely valuable to their linemates. Yet nobody seems to give a rats ass. It's as if we can just go out and find another Garland easily. We had to pay a steep price for him. To just offload a good contract like that for something that isn't going to be equal in value just to fill a position of need is going to be a really stupid move. 

Just now, MikeyD said:

It's not like Garland is gonna fetch us a top 2 dman though. I'd rather keep him unless some miracle happened and he did.

Garland was so severely underrated by this fan base. Nobody cared for all of the finer details he did to help the team succeed. Having somebody that can control the puck in the offensive zone is a very difficult trait to find in a player and is extremely valuable to their linemates. Yet nobody seems to give a rats ass. It's as if we can just go out and find another Garland easily. We had to pay a steep price for him. To just offload a good contract like that for something that isn't going to be equal in value just to fill a position of need is going to be a really stupid move. 

yeah hes not getting us a top pair dman but thinking he can get us a second pair d man isnt a stretch.  We have enough goal scoring, d needs to be fixed.  Sorry, but 40-50 pt smallish wingers are not that hard to find...

What I want for a 3rd line centre is a Chris Draper clone.  He’s ideal for the system Jim Rutherford wants to implement. A structured defensive first system.  One player that would absolutely thrive in this system is Elias Pettersson.  We have players willing to play defence first and we got a bunch today that will thrive under Rutherford’s structured system.  I don’t know how well Miller will do playing defence though. 

37 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Seriously why do people want to get rid of Garland so bad?

Mikheyev is a downgrade from him for nearly the same cap.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY????? 

Brings a different element to our forward group.

size speed pker relentless forechecking 

with upside for more

And not just speed, but I’ll show you real mother efffin speed kinda speed.

ilya has wheels.

it’s no one im wants garland to go but he’s the most tradeable asset to bring back a rhd that’s all it is and we need a RHD upgrade

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Darius said:

Just my opinion here...

Aside from Miller (and thinking that Bo and Boeser are not going anywhere in managements eyes) Garland is our best chance to upgrade the D as a trade chip.  Hes also a small winger who I cant see being dominant against legit cup contender teams in the playoffs when the screws clamp down and the checking , hitting, ramps up.  

Its also arguable whether Mikheyev is a downgrade. Each brings unique elements to the team, but I like the speed, size and defensive / PK abilities Mikheyev brings to the table.

I can see him working well on Petey's line as he needs a puck retriever 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Brings a different element to our forward group.

size speed pker relentless forechecking 

with upside for more

And not just speed, but I’ll show you real mother efffin speed kinda speed.

ilya has wheels.

it’s no one im wants garland to go but he’s the most tradeable asset to bring back a rhd that’s all it is and we need a RHD upgrade

I want both. It's those types of players I'm your middle six that are the kind of players you want filling out your middle six.

We need less one dimensional players like Boeser on this team and more multidimensional players like Garland and Mikheyev on it. 

Just now, MikeyD said:

I want both. It's those types of players I'm your middle six that are the kind of players you want filling out your middle six.

We need less one dimensional players like Boeser on this team and more multidimensional players like Garland and Mikheyev on it. 

So how do you propose to upgrade the D?

Was interesting watching the TSN panel today.  Almost all of them said specifically Canucks need to upgrade the d with multiple D men.  I agree.  With no high end prospects in the system where do top 4 d men come from?  UFA will cost the team through the nose.  It has to come from trades IMHO, even Rutherford hinted at this.

Boeser wont get you the return Garland will right now. He had an off year and management gave him a bridge contract to show that he can perform at the upper end of the abilities he has shown in the past.

Horvat is not going anywhere.

That leaves Miller and Garland.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Do you think Brock was one dimensional the year before last?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Do you think Brock was one dimensional the year before last?

I don't think Brock was one dimensional the year before. He's not perfect by any means, but was working through issues, his injuries, his father, and dealing with the pressure of being an NHL player at such a young age. 

That's no easy task. 

I wish him all the best.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

So how do you propose to upgrade the D?

Was interesting watching the TSN panel today.  Almost all of them said specifically Canucks need to upgrade the d with multiple D men.  I agree.  With no high end prospects in the system where do top 4 d men come from?  UFA will cost the team through the nose.  It has to come from trades IMHO, even Rutherford hinted at this.

Boeser wont get you the return Garland will right now. He had an off year and management gave him a bridge contract to show that he can perform at the upper end of the abilities he has shown in the past.

Horvat is not going anywhere.

That leaves Miller and Garland.

Miller to CLB for Jiricek

They go all in now, We got our long term RHD. CLB could be no joke. Look at that roster already.. soo much upside

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

I'd take Garland over boeser. He does more for his money.

That's based on last year's production  I bet. Would you say the same based on the year prior?

You might, actually. But i would not.

Also, keep in mind what Bess has gone through with his father. Now he can hopefully move on and be the player he is capable of being.

Not to take anything away from Garland. I don't agree with those who want to move him, and I feel he's young enough he will still get better.

Edited by kloubek

I really enjoy this signing. Haven’t felt this good about a free agent in a while. Contract might seem a bit high to some but I think we faired pretty well considering some of the other deals today 

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

I'd take Garland over boeser. He does more for his money.

This is only true if last seasons Boeser is the best he has to offer. Which it isn't. Neither player is good defensively, neither are physical, and neither are centers. Boeser in a down year with mental issues from personal stuff scored 4 more goals than Garland did. We kill Boeser for a bad season but statistically he was right with Garland. And again, Garland doesn't really bring anything that Boeser doesn't.

If we wanna shed cap, move lesser players. Even if it costs us picks. Would you rather lose a 2nd or 3rd rounder or trade a 20 goal scorer for lottery picks that likely never sniff the NHL let alone drop 20 goals. I am a broken record at this point, but y'all realize in a year y'all consider bad. BOESER DROPPED 20 GOALS. So how bad can he be?