The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Michael DiPietro

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dickinson is clearly a better player than he showed last year.  But if we can clear his contract and the only cost is adding

Mikey D, then that’s getting (IMHAO) the best value out of Mikey.  

Or we add Mikey to Pearson to clear him off the books?  

wouldn't it be better to try to get someone to take Ferland's contact? maybe thats too much to hope for. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think we all can agree to that. Literally everyone said don't keep him on the taxi squad. I hope aqua finally understands all the harm his decisions have caused.. including the prolonged pain of atleast 2 more years.

I love the kid in interviews, But he will never amount to anything in the NHL. He's like a AHL samsonov, And that's not a good bar to set in the first place

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I think we all can agree to that. Literally everyone said don't keep him on the taxi squad. I hope aqua finally understands all the harm his decisions have caused.. including the prolonged pain of atleast 2 more years.

I love the kid in interviews, But he will never amount to anything in the NHL. He's like a AHL samsonov, And that's not a good bar to set in the first place

Agree with you on the first half.

He was absolutely mismanaged here. 

That’s an understatement. 

Not so sure on the second part.
G takes a lot longer to mature/develop and if a guy like Saros can make a go of it with his stature, nor reason with MDP with his pedigree can’t as well. He just needs more reps to know for sure.

45 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This time, I don’t think it was necessarily management that dropped the ball. I think it was rather the circumstance that ruled the world at the time. I guess in hindsight, we could have just used Martin in the taxi squad in stead of DiPietro.. meh.. 

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Agree with you on the first half.

He was absolutely mismanaged here. 

That’s an understatement. 

Not so sure on the second part.
G takes a lot longer to mature/develop and if a guy like Saros can make a go of it with his stature, nor reason with MDP with his pedigree can’t as well. He just needs more reps to know for sure.

You may be right as well! At the very least I think he's " done " in terms of progressing with us. I'd rather see silovs get those reps in the A at this point. Shorter guys are already at a bit of a disadvantage compared to the taller guys 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

You may be right as well! At the very least I think he's " done " in terms of progressing with us. I'd rather see silovs get those reps in the A at this point. Shorter guys are already at a bit of a disadvantage compared to the taller guys 

Totally.

Although, and sorry to counter again, but according to a lot of NHL snipers, the taller goalies leave larger gaps down low

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Totally.

Although, and sorry to counter again, but according to a lot of NHL snipers, the taller goalies leave larger gaps down low

We are suppose to me enjoying the off season and your out here dangling past my comments:lol: cheers 

15 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

So if the Canucks had to forfeit games because we didn't have a healthy goalie, you would have been ok with that right? 

Hopefully it's a situation that won't happen again. Worst part is the team didn't have cap space to sign a goalie even for 1 year as a fill in. 

It's more of a Benning decision than an Aqua one. 

Covid didn't just effect the Canucks. A lot of junior players had their careers sidetracked, stalled, or perhaps were never even given a chance because of Covid. 

Brandon Sutter probably will have to retire due to long covid. 

On 7/18/2022 at 7:56 AM, Alflives said:

Dickinson is clearly a better player than he showed last year.  But if we can clear his contract and the only cost is adding

Mikey D, then that’s getting (IMHAO) the best value out of Mikey.  

Or we add Mikey to Pearson to clear him off the books?  

0 value

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So if the Canucks had to forfeit games because we didn't have a healthy goalie, you would have been ok with that right? 

Hopefully it's a situation that won't happen again. Worst part is the team didn't have cap space to sign a goalie even for 1 year as a fill in. 

It's more of a Benning decision than an Aqua one. 

Covid didn't just effect the Canucks. A lot of junior players had their careers sidetracked, stalled, or perhaps were never even given a chance because of Covid. 

Brandon Sutter probably will have to retire due to long covid. 

Sign literally anyone to be a bench warmer like MD was. Give him reps in the A. Done. It's not like it was a hard decision... 99% of the fanbase was calling for that to happen.

When your employer only employs a small hand full of yes sir guys.. yes it is the employer aka FA who was the problem. This isn't the first company ever that took that route either... should be clear as day to any true fan what was going on

On 7/28/2022 at 12:34 PM, Sharpshooter said:

I wonder what management saw or didn’t see in him that made them decide not to develop him in the system? 

I think they probably tried but it was more so that they didn't see the growth the last 3 years they were hoping for from him?