The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Truck driver in deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash granted day parole

CBH1926

20 minutes ago, gurn said:

So if this guy was punished, yet people still drive like idiots; it seems punishment doesn't work to change others behaviours?

How far do you want to take this concept tho, how many areas of our justice system should this apply to?

The fact is, we need harsher penalties for the drivers and the businesses that put them on the road. Going light on them isn't the answer imo. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JM_ said:

How far do you want to take this concept tho, how many areas of our justice system should this apply to?

The fact is, we need harsher penalties for the drivers and the businesses that put them on the road. Going light on them isn't the answer imo. 

This part right here.

Health and safety is huge in other so many industries, it should be the same for trucking. Businesses should face more accountability for their standards, who they are putting on the road, and how prepared they are for it. Emphasis on safety above all else, especially as it isn't only their employees in danger when things go wrong.

Edited by Ralph.
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 2

12 hours ago, hammertime said:

Was he drunk?

You've never blown a stop sign in your life JM_?  

Maybe had a cup of coffee and spilled it in your lap. Or reached over to adjust the radio been distracted for a moment. 

I feel for the victims families of this crash. But I also feel for the driver he's got to live the rest of his life with this on his conscience. It is incredibly likely that the driver was under duress to drive more hours than he is legally allowed to and was fatigued. He wasn't drunk or on his phone. This was a very unfortunate accident. His sentence is more than adequate for his crime. 

So basically breaking the law, regardless of if it was his idea or the guy that owned the trucking company.

I don’t think he set out to kill these kids on purpose but at the end of the day many lives were lost.

He killed 16 people, and might be out soon, that is not even 3 months per victim!

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, JM_ said:

how is not punishing those responsible going to help change anything? people can still go out with shoddy training today and risk people. I see insane semi drivers every week on the sea to sky that don't give two $&!#s who's lives they are risking. 

he chose to drive with poor preparation, and he chose to drive distracted. Pretty clear cut to me. 

Did he know he needed further training?

The company clearly fast tracked him behind the wheel but did he understand that?

A lot of people come to this country and get into driving trucks, I've spoken to many Indians who have arrived in Canada work multiple jobs until can get on with a trucking company and they all talk about how easy it is to get on board.

Obviously the driver is ultimately responsible for his actions but he sounds like he was pushed and probably over extended as is commonly the case. It is sickening what happened but extremely disappointing how so many people want blood and to ruin more lives like that somehow justifies the loss and pain for those involved. Its insane.

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

The company clearly fast tracked him behind the wheel but did he understand that?

A lot of people come to this country and get into driving trucks, I've spoken to many Indians who have arrived in Canada work multiple jobs until can get on with a trucking company and they all talk about how easy it is to get on board.

Obviously the driver is ultimately responsible for his actions but he sounds like he was pushed and probably over extended as is commonly the case. It is sickening what happened but extremely disappointing how so many people want blood and to ruin more lives like that somehow justifies the loss and pain for those involved. Its insane.

Nobody forces anybody to do anything illegal in their jobs in this country.  There are Labour laws, WCB Safety Laws, Harrassment laws, Motor vehicle laws, civil rights laws and industry laws and gudelines.    If you or anyone else is asked to do something that "pushes you" (as you call it) over the line, then there are avenues to support & protect workers.   It's up to workers to stand up for themeselves or continue to face abuse.  That is why traditionaly Truckers got treated so poorly but things are changing as they are starting to fight for better conditions after being treated badly for years and it's about time.   This is Canada not India or some other corrupt 3rd world country and pleading ignorance of laws is no excuse! 

As for your suggestion of people wanting blood, no one is asking for his execution but he should have served his full 8 year sentence (which was a light sentence to begin with) not 3 and certainly must be deported back to India - which I fully expect will happen as that is normaly what happens in these situations. 

We have laws for a reason and dolling out sympathies to any criminal convicted of dangerous driving causing death and bodily harm that killed 16 people and injured 13 - which Mr. Sidhu now is - is completely inappropriate.   He should count himself lucky as he got off very, very light because if this had happened in some other countries (especially in the middle east) his punishment would have been different!

Guillotine french revolution vintage GIF on GIFER - by Mezizuru

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

not sure how you couldn't. As you say, people know its an easy fast track. 

5 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

the justification is to bring in better deterrents so we don't see this again. And we will see this again based on the poor actions by gov't so far on this issue. Just look at all the idiots running into overpasses lately. 

• Cheers 1

Iirc, in the original thread it was pointed out that

1- the company vanished-to be replaced a couple of days later by a 'new ' company run by the same owner.

2- about 3 months after tightening the rules regarding truck driver, training and licensing- the government of the province, of Saskatchewan, rescinded many of the new rules.

3- a few posters remarked about how wrong that was at the time.

4 nothing got changed back.

5 lets blame the driver, but not ourselves for allowing the rues to be slackened off.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Iirc, in the original thread it was pointed out that

1- the company vanished-to be replaced a couple of days later by a 'new ' company run by the same owner.

2- about 3 months after tightening the rules regarding truck driver, training and licensing- the government of the province, of Saskatchewan, rescinded many of the new rules.

3- a few posters remarked about how wrong that was at the time.

4 nothing got changed back.

5 lets blame the driver, but not ourselves for allowing the rues to be slackened off.

the SK decisions don't surprise me, given Moe killed a woman when he was allegedly driving drunk, and his other drunk driving arrests. 

https://pressprogress.ca/saskatchewan-premier-scott-moe-failed-to-disclose-his-other-impaired-driving-arrest-an-alleged-hit-and-run/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think most people understand that bigger and heavier the vehicle is, more damage it will inflict to another vehicle in case of an accident. Driving semi truck requires even more vigilance and safety precaution than driving a regular car, hence the reason it’s not for everyone. I don’t think they should bring out the guillotine but maybe if someone served the full sentence, it might prevent another deadly accident. 

23 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I think most people understand that bigger and heavier the vehicle is, more damage it will inflict to another vehicle in case of an accident. Driving semi truck requires even more vigilance and safety precaution than driving a regular car, hence the reason it’s not for everyone. I don’t think they should bring out the guillotine but maybe if someone served the full sentence, it might prevent another deadly accident. 

we really need gov't to do its job and regulate properly, not be in bed with specific industries. The SK gov't doesn't' care about better road safety.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Some of the posts here are why our criminal system is a joke.  Some of these folks must work in the court system.  

Remorseful or not, this persons actions and negligence murdered a bus full of innocent Canadians.  

Does it suck for him?   Sure.  

But not close to as much as it sucks for the kids he killed or the parents and families who lost their sons. 

8 year sentence was a joke. 
Him getting day trips and reduced time served is insane.  

It should have been 20 years, then get the hell out of the country.  

Families are destroyed, but this guy gets to go visit his……..   and people here support it. 
Insane. 

3 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Some of the posts here are why our criminal system is a joke

Thinking that the way people here post, has anything to do with  controlling the way the criminal justice system  is run, is kind of silly- like a joke. 

19 minutes ago, gurn said:

Thinking that the way people here post, has anything to do with  controlling the way the criminal justice system  is run, is kind of silly- like a joke. 

Yeah.  It is a comment on the mentality of some people.   
The bleeding hearts who are more concerned about the feelings of the criminal, and totally forgetting about the victims. 

On 7/22/2022 at 8:59 AM, CBH1926 said:

Hmmmm....I'm struggling to imagine a scenario by which a truck driver rolls up to an intersection and decides, "Well, if I kill someone, I'll only serve 3 of 8 years, so what the hell...." :unsure:

I get the outrage from some folks here...you see the result of Sidhu's actions and three years just doesn't seem adequate, but keeping him in jail does nothing but make people feel better about the entire situation. Once you start making legal decisions based on feelings, you've lost the plot, IMHO....

9 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Yeah.  It is a comment on the mentality of some people.   
The bleeding hearts who are more concerned about the feelings of the criminal, and totally forgetting about the victims. 

I disagree that the two are mutually exclusive....

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

As to whether he should be deported. I'd make the argument he's far more valuable to Canada as an advocate for road safety than deported and forgotten.

I agree. If Sidhu is deported, we pat ourselves on the back and say "justice is done"...

...and the underlying problem of poor training and lax oversight remains unaddressed....

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

As to whether he should be deported. I'd make the argument he's far more valuable to Canada as an advocate for road safety than deported and forgotten.

Do you mean as a “symbol”?  The guy is responsible for 16 deaths, and terrible injuries to many others.  I don’t see him as an “advocate” for anything.  He should be locked away permanently.