The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Truck driver in deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash granted day parole

CBH1926

He pleaded guilty.

Did the allocution ever suggest why he blew through the intersection?

So sad, even for him. I hold some compassion.  But sadder for many more! 

My grandfather ran the community store in Humboldt, my cousin taught at its high school where many went.  RIP & healing to all, including families.

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He pleaded guilty.

Did the allocution ever suggest why he blew through the intersection?

So sad, even for him. I hold some compassion.  But sadder for many more! 

My grandfather ran the community store in Humboldt, my cousin taught at its high school where many went.  RIP & healing to all, including families.

It is a very sad situation indeed - for the kids and their families & friends but you should not feel any sadness for someone that was convicted of dangerous driving causing death and bodily harm that killed 16 people and injured 13.     His criminal negligance is inexcusable and no sympathy should be conveyed towards him whatsoever.  He is officially a criminal and will likely be deported.  

Under federal law, a permanent resident convicted of a crime that holds a maximum sentence of at least 10 years is deported, with few avenues for appeal.  In the vast majority of cases like this, the IRB orders deportation. The immigration minister can intervene, but that is rare. There is an opportunity to ask the federal court for a judicial review of any deportation order, but only on the grounds that due process was not followed — and that would only restart the admissibility process.   

These laws are in place for a reason - to deal with Criminals like Mr. Sidhu

Edited by RU SERIOUS

I don't agree Serious.

I am not excusing consequences for the driver.  If he gets deported, its fine with me.  More time in jail would have been better! Nor do I begrudge aby bitterness considering the carnage. This was not small? 

I simply also respect that he put forward his regret. Felt for his victims. Set his fate before judgement admitting what he did was wrong...

• Cheers 2

Sentenced in 2019 to 8 years and he's out after 3? Our justice system is all messed up....why do we call it 8 years then? Let's keep it real here.

This is a slap in the face to the families who lost their children/loved ones. As they said, they're serving life sentences.

I do feel for the driver to some degree....it seems his employer also shares some guilt here.  But we're all responsible for our actions and this guy's wiped out a busload of kids....that's the reality here. The punishment doesn't fit the crime, even if it wasn't intentional.

I will say, trucks in general need to slow the hell down and take more care....we have dump trucks and recycling trucks just flying down the road here and it's a disaster waiting to happen. These drivers need to remember how long it takes them to stop in these vehicles.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

And the company that hired the driver? And probably gave him insane timeframes. I bet the trucking company doesn't even pay a fine.

Truckers get mad for having to get vaxxed. Maybe they should be worried about being pressured to work long hours without rest, and driving vehicles that companies send out that aren't maintained properly.

• Cheers 2

Vehicle crimes need to be punished better by our laws. In 2007 (Calgary) a drunk cement truck driver crashed into the back of a car Killing a family of 5. He then proceeded to get out of his truck and toss his empty vodka bottle into the cement mixer. He was sentenced to 5 1/2 years... If anyone of us kills 5 people purposefully or by accident we are looking at minimum 15 year, probably more likely 20+. But since he was in a vehicle... Ridiculous

Although I don't agree with how thing are handled justice wise I do believe the Humboldt driver is actually remorseful for what happened and besides the punishment handed down, he has to live with this the rest of his life. That may not mean much to many, but if you've never take a life you couldn't begin to imagine how that would mess someone up, I know I can't

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I really don't understand why in this country its OK to kill people with vehicles. If he had been drunk he maybe would have got 2 or 3 more years. 

Was he drunk?

You've never blown a stop sign in your life JM_?  

Maybe had a cup of coffee and spilled it in your lap. Or reached over to adjust the radio been distracted for a moment. 

I feel for the victims families of this crash. But I also feel for the driver he's got to live the rest of his life with this on his conscience. It is incredibly likely that the driver was under duress to drive more hours than he is legally allowed to and was fatigued. He wasn't drunk or on his phone. This was a very unfortunate accident. His sentence is more than adequate for his crime. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

Was he drunk?

no he wasn't, just pointing out how little more he would have received in jail time if he was

You've never blown a stop sign in your life JM_?  

Maybe had a cup of coffee and spilled it in your lap. Or reached over to adjust the radio been distracted for a moment. 

you think thats comparable to operating a semi on a highway? 

I feel for the victims families of this crash. But I also feel for the driver he's got to live the rest of his life with this on his conscience. It is incredibly likely that the driver was under duress to drive more hours than he is legally allowed to and was fatigued. He wasn't drunk or on his phone. This was a very unfortunate accident. His sentence is more than adequate for his crime. 

he actually took a week of training, thats it. Its on the trucking company and our stupid laws that allow that kind of inadequate training. 

But no, that sentence is not adequate not even close to it, and his boss should be behind bars with him. 

You may see it differently, thats fine, but he took on a job he knew he had rushed training for, and then went out and wasn't careful.

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 3

50 minutes ago, JM_ said:

no he wasn't, just pointing out how little more he would have received in jail time if he was

you think thats comparable to operating a semi on a highway? 

he actually took a week of training, thats it. Its on the trucking company and our stupid laws that allow that kind of inadequate training. 

But no, that sentence is not adequate not even close to it, and his boss should be behind bars with him. 

You may see it differently, thats fine, but he took on a job he knew he had rushed training for, and then went out and wasn't careful.

IMO this is a very comfortable de humanising way to look at it. Slippery slope. 

I have a hard time seeing what keeping this remorseful man behind bars will accomplish.  

It wasn't premeditated, he wasn't drunk, and he had zero intention of causing the accident.  

How would you guys/girls feel if your occupation was a pilot or a bus driver?  

It's very easy to sit behind a desk in an office and claim that everything in the world should be 100% safe, but that's just not realistic. 

I know that the families have been/are devastated, but I don't think that ruining this man's life will make anything better. 

20 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I have a hard time seeing what keeping this remorseful man behind bars will accomplish.  

It wasn't premeditated, he wasn't drunk, and he had zero intention of causing the accident.  

How would you guys/girls feel if your occupation was a pilot or a bus driver?  

It's very easy to sit behind a desk in an office and claim that everything in the world should be 100% safe, but that's just not realistic. 

I know that the families have been/are devastated, but I don't think that ruining this man's life will make anything better. 

how is not punishing those responsible going to help change anything? people can still go out with shoddy training today and risk people. I see insane semi drivers every week on the sea to sky that don't give two $&!#s who's lives they are risking. 

he chose to drive with poor preparation, and he chose to drive distracted. Pretty clear cut to me. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

how is not punishing those responsible going to help change anything? people can still go out with shoddy training today and risk people. I see insane semi drivers every week on the sea to sky that don't give two $&!#s who's lives they are risking. 

he chose to drive with poor preparation, and he chose to drive distracted. Pretty clear cut to me. 

View must be nice from up there.

9 minutes ago, JM_ said:

So if this guy was punished, yet people still drive like idiots; it seems punishment doesn't work to change others behaviours?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

So if this guy was punished, yet people still drive like idiots; it seems punishment doesn't work to change others behaviours?

Some people will be idiots, regardless of potential consequences (harm to others and criminal charges). Other people behave because it’s right and don’t want to harm others.  Then others follow rules because there are negative consequences attached to not doing so.  There will always be some selfish idiots.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Yes but he has served his time and is going to be moving onto the next stage, which is day parole.  

I can't really speak about shoddy training or not.