The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are your unpopular Canuck opinions?

Rate this topic

Coconuts

11 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Considering how many people are continuing to support Benning here, this wouldn’t be surprising. 

Yeah. I actually see Benning as a tragic figure though. Like I can actually say he was doing good work with some of his moves 2017ish to 2020. But it was like his past moves that came back to haunt him ( those contracts he signed, giving away picks, etc.).

Benning was like a high school kid who starts to get popular in his Junior/Senior year but then before he can become Prom King someone leaks an embarrassing video of him during his freshman year and loses all his popularity and not invited to the graduation after party :lol:

Edited by iinatcc

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Yeah. I actually see Benning as a tragic figure though. Like I can actually say he was doing good work with some of his moves 2017ish to 2020. But it was like his past moves that came back to haunt him ( those contracts he signed, giving away picks, etc.).

Benning was like a high school kid who starts to get popular in his Junior/Senior year but then before he can become Prom King someone leaks an embarrassing video of him during his freshman year and loses all his popularity and not invited to the graduation after party :lol:

8 years, spent to cap every year, got one playoff appearance on the strength of the team he inherited and one gifted to him when was a non-playoff team. 
Gave away first and second rounders like candy on Halloween during a rebuild.

Left the team with few prospects, no cap space and a hockey ops department stripped to the bone. 
high end draft picks (top 10) was pretty much 50:50. 
When take off the homer glasses that is a tragically bad run as a GM.

15 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

8 years, spent to cap every year, got one playoff appearance on the strength of the team he inherited and one gifted to him when was a non-playoff team. 
Gave away first and second rounders like candy on Halloween during a rebuild.

Left the team with few prospects, no cap space and a hockey ops department stripped to the bone. 
high end draft picks (top 10) was pretty much 50:50. 
When take off the homer glasses that is a tragically bad run as a GM.

Oh don't get me wrong ... I am by no means a defender or apologist of Benning. People here I argued with can attest to that :lol:

My point is all the good things he did (and he did some) was negated three fold with his poor decisions. 

I always said Benning has a pretty good hockey mind and is 100% a hockey guy but he is just not cut out to run an NHL team ( or I guess any major professional sports team). I akin Benning running the Canucks like coach Bombay or some of those movie coaches/managers and not someone who is running a multi-mullion dollar Sports franchise (like what an NHL team is).

Like I can see why he would want to get Beagle and he did provide value to this team (especially in the PK as we saw last season) but not with that term and cap hit. 

Edited by iinatcc

Unpopular opinion: last year Schenn is a top 4 quality defenseman. 

Extremely underrated. Eats hard minutes and is a much better outlet passer than given credit for. His expected goals against per game is at 0.66 which is a good number for a defenseman. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Yep.  It is. 

Playing That dumb 'im still standing' song is cringe too. 

I love Elton John music.  But thats not one of his gems. And just becomes annoying when its played over and over and over and over.  Someone has been trying to make that the Canucks Theme Song for a decade already at least. 

Seriously what kind of team would have a song for the last ten years as their main pump up song with the theme of ...."hey, at least were still standing, that's pretty good right?"

Oh.........never mind. 

15 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I love Elton John music.  But thats not one of his gems. And just becomes annoying when its played over and over and over and over.  Someone has been trying to make that the Canucks Theme Song for a decade already at least. 

Seriously what kind of team would have a song for the last ten years as their main pump up song with the theme of ...."hey, at least were still standing, that's pretty good right?"

Oh.........never mind. 

I personally love it, and never grow tired of hearing that tune after a hard-earned win. It’s like the boys are all bloody and bruised, sharing the same sentiment with a disco diva heading home at 3am covered in glitter, missing a set of fake lashes.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/23/2022 at 12:23 PM, iinatcc said:

Flying Skate Logo is not all that or even that good.

I get the nostalgia,. It's also how I remember the Canucks in my childhood. 

But the logo and the font feels like it's stuck in the 90's and there's no timelessness to it. 

I get people don't like the Orca but at least it's an Orca. And the color scheme is much nicer with the more natural colors 

Actually it sucks and the worst uni this team has had.The skate the players themselves wanted back.With those uni's we got the closest we have been to winning the cup and that itself should be why we bring them back.

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Actually it sucks and the worst uni this team has had.The skate the players themselves wanted back.With those uni's we got the closest we have been to winning the cup and that itself should be why we bring them back.

And what does an orca have to do with a canuck anyway?