The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are your unpopular Canuck opinions?

Rate this topic

Coconuts

On 8/10/2022 at 9:07 AM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Woo seems to have problems just sticking as D in the AHL (forget the NHL) as I seem to recall the coach moving him to forward on occasion (I assume to give him at least some icetime).  If you can't begin to dominate at some level in the AHL, you're not going to get 100 games at the NHL level barring a ton of injuries on the Canucks.  Even failed longshot ex-Canuck D prospect Subban was an allstar at the AHL level one season (but still lol couldn't play a lick of defense).

Klimovich is the mystery box.  Hopefully he can make it.

I agree. I never saw a lot in Woo, even when CDC was all excited for him early on. I didn't expect him to succeed, and now I REALLY don't expect him to.

Klimovich is a toss-up, as you state. He needs to work on his 2-way game, though his base offensive ability is undeniable. 

There are other prospects we have which I think would carve out an NHL career:

I do think Lekkerimaki will make it to the NHL - though his ceiling is yet undetermined because the kid is only... what.. 17? I think this is the only prospect we have with top 6 potential. I've watched a lot of tape on him, and he is quite skilled.

I also feel that McDonough may be able to produce in a bottom 6 role. I like the way he plays, though I just don't feel he has top-level talent that would allow him to get into the top 6.
Although I didn't expect much initially, all reports are that EP2.0 is looking strong. Could be good for a bottom pairing or more eventually.
Even though most experts are not, I'm also hopeful for Karlsson. I think he has a lot of skill, but needs to get faster and put it all together at a higher level. 

• Cheers 1

On 8/10/2022 at 4:13 PM, kilgore said:

We've gone through a lot of these mystery boxes.

HilariousCreamyAnnelida-size_restricted.

Yep.  Including this one.   All bad.   Anyway they try ... well it's just bad, or at least not as good as the original.   Like Coke.   They changed it, then brought back "Classic Coke" but it wasn't the same either.    We brought back the Skate and well Miller said it best.   Play it for every home game. 

soft drink sprite GIF

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Including the useless wannabee media like CanucksArmy? That is pathetic beyond belief, I use it as humour after reading or watching the  daily news (which I have to stop as it's getting too depressing these days)  War, Covid, Putin, Rump, Global Warming... You know.. . 

Anyway, the local hacks are good for a laugh, especially the way we got fleeced picking up JT Miller, Fack that will always keep me laughing everytime it comes to mind and of course how funnier it was every time he scored or assisted one just made me chuckle.. plus single handedly move us forward a ways  as we will get a lot for him since we can't afford to keep him. The gift that keeps on giving. :D

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, DS4quality said:

Travis Green was not a good Willie Desjardins replacement, and it would be terrible for the team.

We are talking about "unpopular" opinions.   I'm going against the grain this year and saying we are going to make the playoffs this season, with or without Miller.   Also made this a Miller thread now ... discuss...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CanucksCountry said:

Miller re-singing for 6-8 years wouldn't be a bad thing or hold the team back with a big contract 

I don't know, for sure, but some people should only lip synch; and leave the cover songs for other people.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

We are talking about "unpopular" opinions.   I'm going against the grain this year and saying we are going to make the playoffs this season, with or without Miller.   Also made this a Miller thread now ... discuss...

Yeah it was very unpopular at the time. Everyone except a few of us knew that it wouldn't work. It took 3+ years for some fans to realize.  The bubble gave Green even more life by a fluke.

That's the reason I say it is unpopular. 

20 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

The bubble gave Green even more life by a fluke.

The players gave Green more life than they should have.

Green got re-signed after exit interviews, where the players gave praise to Green's coaching.

JB then signs Green, and one year later very few platers were playing to potential.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

The players gave Green more life than they should have.

Green got re-signed after exit interviews, where the players gave praise to Green's coaching.

JB then signs Green, and one year later very few platers were playing to potential.

Benning gave Green more life by hiring him...there were other choices. 

• Cheers 1

Signing Miller is nice and I think works out well.   

What I see is we still lack a power forward.  Amy chance we can swap one of the smurfs for someone big strong fast with decent mitts?   Like garland for Alex Tuch or something?  

Really think we have all the forward parts then.  Goal looks good.  Still think dermott has to play the right side, wonder if he can be Hughes new Tanev........

We are close.  Maybe two parts away from being a third round playoff team.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I would like to see a late 90s/early 00s throwback uniform. It's not better than what the team is wearing now and I don't want them to make any permanent changes, but seeing as we're throwing back to seemingly every era, why not the time with Nazzy, Ohlund, Bert, etc? It's also the era when I got into the team and if people can wax nostalgic about the skate, why not the West Coast Express?

• Cheers 1

Here's one that I originally posted back when the hirings were taking place that I might as well post here.

I am not sold or that confident in this management group. I saw Jim hire a bunch of his buddies from Pittsburgh and people with zero front office experience. Now, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt as they still haven't made many moves, but the hype train I saw was pretty inexplicable and was the exact same when the last regime was hired. They're new and shiny and will lead us to the promised land because they're new and shiny.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • There it is 1

7 hours ago, McBackup said:

Here's one that I originally posted back when the hirings were taking place that I might as well post here.

I am not sold or that confident in this management group. I saw Jim hire a bunch of his buddies from Pittsburgh and people with zero front office experience. Now, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt as they still haven't made many moves, but the hype train I saw was pretty inexplicable and was the exact same when the last regime was hired. They're new and shiny and will lead us to the promised land because they're new and shiny.

I think the clear communicated direction laid out by both JR and PA helps tremendously. I don’t have the vitriol some here have for JB and think he did lay some good ground work for new management to build from. But even I admit his communication skills publicly were lacklustre at best. 

Other than good character guys the direction under Benning was a little unclear. He put too much value in high paid bottom 6 vets and struggled building a solid defence. The offseason we added both Beagle and Roussel I didn’t have too much an issue with either contract but that was a time where we should have picked one of the two, not both and left a spot to be filled internally. (inexpensively)

JR and PA have preached making good use of cap space, but that they are not willing to give assets up to do so. They have maintained that even if some here are itching to have contracts dumped. They have not swayed from keeping picks and youth and not parting with them for a band aid fix. 

Further to that watching the draft video during the young stars game with Winnipeg seeing PA having scouts focus on players bringing a special and unique talent is refreshing. He even said as far as I’m not interested in 3rd/4th line guys cause those can be had in FA and don’t cost much. Find something those players don’t bring. 

Benning built a good core but failed to build a full team. Rutherford has completed a team in Pittsburgh and Carolina in the last 2 decades with great success. I think the optimism is warranted. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1