The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are your unpopular Canuck opinions?

Rate this topic

Coconuts

19 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

One could argue it helped us specifically, a team that was struggling at the time. If you want to use the excuse of "circumstances out of our control" it goes both ways - it's very possible the circumstances helped us more than most other teams in 19-20.

I'd have more time for the 20-21 excuses if it was an anomaly of a season, as in we were perennially a good team before that and it was just a blip on the radar. But it was one excuse after another under old management, just depends on the year: some years it was the schedule, some years it was bad lottery luck, some years it was the fault of previous management, some years it was "rebuilds aren't linear", some years it was bad contracts that conveniently "only look bad in hindsight / who could have known?"

The only excuse I'm willing to buy for 20-21 is for the actual players/coaches which is that their GM undermined their attempts to take a step by the butcher job that was the 2020 off-season.

Your first point is purely speculative. The fact is that all teams had to stop at the same point and take 2 month hiatus before reconvening in their respective city (Edmonton/Toronto) to continue the season. No single team had to endure exceptionally difficult circumstances as part of the planned conditions. 

In a sense, 20-21 was an anomaly because the P% and goal diff./game had improved consistently from 17-20; that trend ended in 20-21. The record previous is irrelevant when considering the harshness of the circumstances they played under. The fact they had a bad record a couple of seasons earlier has nothing to do with the fact they had extraordinarily adverse circumstances during 20-21. I am not going to waste any more time explaining why, it should be obvious. 

You being willing to buy excuses is also irrelevant. You are hardly the person to be the arbiter of what is or isn't extraordinary misfortune. You should go and listen to Miller's post-game availability after the final game of that season, it is very telling. If you think that season went the way it did strictly because they didn't re-sign Toffoli, that is just dumb. Do you actually think playing, effectively, in a league where half your opponents are three time zones to the east is just going to have a null effect? They were in a bad spot from day one. That doesn't mean I think they would have won the cup under normal circumstances, but the circumstances they played under definitely put downward pressure on their performance. The fact this needs to be explained to you says a lot. Don't even bother replying with any more blather. 

I think they should bring back the maroon orca jerseys, the color scheme is underrated. 
The lumberjack crest should become an alternate logo, and they should find a way to reincorporate the 94 color scheme (fan of both the black and white jerseys).
The flying V jerseys are atrocious.

After the past season, I think Myers has it in him to be shutdown defender, even if (perhaps equally unpopular) they move OEL up and move Hughes to the right side on the team's #1 pair (I think Schenn with Hughes is good, but in case they want to load up a super pairing).
I think Spencer Martin might be a one-season wonder (he'll probably be good, not but so lights out as he was, and probably doesn't have it in him to become the next Georgiev/ Martin Jones, etc. former backups who turn to starters).
I think it's best that we use Hoglander and Rathbone as trade assets, even if it's to move salaries as a sweetener (or trade Rathbone for RHD and Hoglander say for Roy's rights after moving Dickinson's salary). 

Edited by Phil_314
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 8/1/2022 at 10:21 PM, Goal:thecup said:

Said nobody ever.

Mag just did. 

And I agree. But that's tempered by saying we've never had a rock solid jersey.

I don't like the identity crisis having multiple looks over the years. 

I have a lot of PTSD from the Flying V and downhill skate years, that one cup run can't cure. 

I still think it's difficult with a name like Canucks to have a cohesive identity. Is that a Lumber Jack? A Pilot? A sea captain? First Nations Warrior? A person drinking coffee with skates on and a hockey stick beside him? 

I'd be curious what a First Nations Artist can do to improve the Orca Look. 

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Mag just did. 

And I agree. But that's tempered by saying we've never had a rock solid jersey.

I don't like the identity crisis having multiple looks over the years. 

I have a lot of PTSD from the Flying V and downhill skate years, that one cup run can't cure. 

I still think it's difficult with a name like Canucks to have a cohesive identity. Is that a Lumber Jack? A Pilot? A sea captain? First Nations Warrior? A person drinking coffee with skates on and a hockey stick beside him? 

I'd be curious what a First Nations Artist can do to improve the Orca Look. 

I like the Johnny Canuck skating toward the goal the best.

The original Skate in Rink is too boring and the blue/green, even though I like that colour scheme, is too passive according to psychologists and when we switched to the agressive black, red, orange, yellow or whatever it was, we immediately got better and we sure as heck were a very tough team then.

The Orca is ok, imo, a little weird, but a dominant predator, and I like the one they did up for First Nations Day/Week/Month or whatever it was called is my favorite Orca, and hopefully respectful.

The V or Flying V (I don't know why it is called that) is ok but a bit boring and doesn't really have anything to do with a Canuck.

The Skate or Downward Skate (which it never looked like that to me) is ok but again not really a Canuck.

That copy of the Avs colours thing was something to be ashamed of and everybody should burn theirs' if they have anything with that monstrosity/copycat thing.

Ditto the gradation colour change piece of crap.

What else have we had?  I don't know.

The Johnny Canuck cartoon character from comic books way way way back is pretty good; aviator; warrior, etc., and at least it is a Canuck.

It is my understanding that in the Excited States of Murica, the word Canuck is a derogatory term for a Canadian, so it is tricky to work with.

Sorta like the Washington Redskins perhaps, but I could maybe go for something where we turn that around into a positive.

Basically, there have been too many changes imo.  And now we are floundering.

How 'bout a great big, nasty looking, multicultural, monster Canuck hockey player?

I obviously don't know, but I would not be adverse to moving away from the sedate blue/green thing and getting more aggressive with it.

Edit:  Which one was the plate of spaghetti, I never did get that either?  lol

Edited by Goal:thecup
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/2/2022 at 4:38 PM, MNaslund?? said:

To much loyalty to players in this organization, to nice to trade players because we might be able to bring them back as an equipment manager assistant in 10 years.

Also, we celebrate the 1994 final loss like we won it.  No other team does that and it’s pathetic. 

hot dang you heard it here first folks trade Petey!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

hot dang you heard it here first folks trade Petey!

why trade Petey?

He had nothing to do with 1994

I think MNas was talking about players like Motte, Jake and Oli

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lmm said:

why trade Petey?

He had nothing to do with 1994

I think MNas was talking about players like Motte, Jake and Oli

EP would make a great equipment manager in 10 years

1994? so what. Both points were about fan perspective. also means in addition.

Edited by Angry Goose
  • Haha 1

On 8/6/2022 at 9:27 PM, BCNeil said:

Rathbone is the only current Abby Canuck that will ever play more than 100 NHL games.

You don't think Klimovich will make the big show? I think Woo still has some time to figure it out as well. Dowling only needs to play 3 more games in the NHL lol.

10 hours ago, 250Integra said:

You don't think Klimovich will make the big show? I think Woo still has some time to figure it out as well. Dowling only needs to play 3 more games in the NHL lol.

Dow - Ling, Dow - Ling, Dow - LIng

On 8/7/2022 at 12:54 PM, kilgore said:

The "Sprite can" jersey's are the best Orca logo jerseys we've ever come up with.  The white pin stripe accents, not seen on other designs, is classy and brings it all together. The fade also brings the top and bottom together, and is subtle enough to be interesting but not annoying, maybe its because of the more natural colours.  This jersey reeks of pure class.  And I'd love it if it were are full time home Orca jerseys, at least while we are still using the Orca.

EupG7hfUUAE1Szx?format=jpg&name=small

That jersey grew on me very quickly. I like it far more than the original gradient.

• Cheers 2

22 hours ago, Baggins said:

That jersey grew on me very quickly. I like it far more than the original gradient.

Me too. I loved the burgandy gradient from years ago, but this one is like a cleaner updated version of it.

Doesn't hurt that we absolutely murdered with that jersey on too. 

I think I'll go with the black/white skate jersey, then this one, then the 2011 skate in rink alternate and then the burgandy fade. The original gradient one looks super clean in real life too. 

• Cheers 1

On 8/8/2022 at 9:22 AM, 250Integra said:

Woo seems to have problems just sticking as D in the AHL (forget the NHL) as I seem to recall the coach moving him to forward on occasion (I assume to give him at least some icetime).  If you can't begin to dominate at some level in the AHL, you're not going to get 100 games at the NHL level barring a ton of injuries on the Canucks.  Even failed longshot ex-Canuck D prospect Subban was an allstar at the AHL level one season (but still lol couldn't play a lick of defense).

Klimovich is the mystery box.  Hopefully he can make it.

5 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Woo seems to have problems just sticking as D in the AHL (forget the NHL) as I seem to recall the coach moving him to forward on occasion (I assume to give him at least some icetime).  If you can't begin to dominate at some level in the AHL, you're not going to get 100 games at the NHL level barring a ton of injuries on the Canucks.  Even failed longshot ex-Canuck D prospect Subban was an allstar at the AHL level one season (but still lol couldn't play a lick of defense).

We've gone through a lot of these mystery boxes.

HilariousCreamyAnnelida-size_restricted.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Woo just needs to get tossed aside by us and he will do well like the others we don't know how to make use of and lose.