The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are your unpopular Canuck opinions?

Rate this topic

Coconuts

2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Cheech does the colour; Shorty does the play-by-play.

Can we trade them?

As if anyone would really want them but it's a nice thought of actually having the volume up on games again...

Edited by iceman64
  • Haha 1

My “unpopular opinion” is Mike Keenan did the Canucks a big time solid. The best trade in Canuck history was trading away Trevor Linden.

That led to the greatest trade tree ever:

1) Bertuzzi (best power forward in Canuck history) & McCabe 

2) McCabe became a Sedin (HHOF and one of best players ever)

3) Bert became Luongo (HHOF and best goalie in Canuck history)

4) Luongo became Markstrom 

Over 3 decades of rewards full of legendary players. 

Edited by grandmaster

On 7/25/2022 at 10:34 AM, kanucks25 said:

My point is, people who think your hockey team is bad because they are obviously bad / have been bad are not "haters".

And the term feels like an attempt to invalidate the opinion, like "it doesn't matter because you're just a hater" (or a "troll").

Here's what people who claim they are factual and others delusional overlook....it takes time to get there. Just labelling the team bad without considering all the things they've been up against is simply....hating. You have to consider what's been happening in those terrible runs and also take in the good as part of the assessment.

We have some up and coming stars who deserve better than to be labelled "bad" and if you label the team bad, that's on them. But...if that's all you/some see, that's on you not the team. There have been some very good aspects to this team and we're encouraged by that and focus there instead. It's ok to do it that way and we're not "delusional" because we have faith in this team and aren't chasing our idea of what the team should be. Supporting them as they build toward that makes it a more enjoyable experience than griping all the time. There's this idea that you just do A & B and boom you're a good team, but it just isn't that easy. The Avs took time to get there...many of the good teams we're seeing have top 3 picks...some of them have multiple players of that calibre. They get a head start through those top picks.

Bruce is a very good example and helped demonstrate that this team isn't so "bad" and if you don't acknowledge that then you're stuck on the idea of a "bad team".

It's all a matter of opinion and yes, some of us do get a little offended at the labels our team's been assigned by some here who don't exercise patience or reasoning at times. Give Bruce some more time with this roster then decide they're "bad" (or good). Also, a team can have some bad periods (like when Petey was MIA or they were in a rut under Green that they couldn't find a way out of).....doesn't mean they're just plain bad. They've been very good at times too, but some disappear when that happens.

The names are thrown out on both sides...can't tell how many times I've heard "homer" and "rose coloured glasses"...balances out the hater/troll stuff. But, in the end, we are all Canucks.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Here's what people who claim they are factual and others delusional overlook....it takes time to get there.

People been saying this for 8 years...

4 hours ago, -DLC- said:

We have some up and coming stars who deserve better than to be labelled "bad" and if you label the team bad, that's on them. But...if that's all you/some see, that's on you not the team. There have been some very good aspects to this team and we're encouraged by that and focus there instead. It's ok to do it that way and we're not "delusional" because we have faith in this team and aren't chasing our idea of what the team should be. Supporting them as they build toward that makes it a more enjoyable experience than griping all the time. There's this idea that you just do A & B and boom you're a good team, but it just isn't that easy. The Avs took time to get there...many of the good teams we're seeing have top 3 picks...some of them have multiple players of that calibre. They get a head start through those top picks.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this but I think it's clear the way the team was being "built" under old management was faulty, proof is in the pudding.

So you can call it griping but they were clearly legitimate complaints.

4 hours ago, -DLC- said:

It's all a matter of opinion and yes, some of us do get a little offended at the labels our team's been assigned by some here who don't exercise patience or reasoning at times.

The hilarious thing about comments like these is that if you go all the way back to 2014 when Benning was hired, a lot of us wanted the full, slow, do it right from the ground up rebuild and not the Frankenstein retool that was created. And a lot of people here supported that plan and still do. So who really is the impatient group? I'd say thinking you can take shortcuts is against sound reasoning, if anything.

4 hours ago, -DLC- said:

.doesn't mean they're just plain bad. They've been very good at times too, but some disappear when that happens.

Have there? Other than the bubble "run" what more can you point to other than individual performances/progress?

4 hours ago, -DLC- said:

The names are thrown out on both sides...can't tell how many times I've heard "homer" and "rose coloured glasses"...balances out the hater/troll stuff. But, in the end, we are all Canucks.

The difference is the one time I called someone a homer you deleted the post and warned me yet I've been called a troll or hater about... well let's count... 1, 2, 3, 4 maybe like a million times here and that doesn't seem to be a problem. ;) 

• Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

The difference is the one time I called someone a homer you deleted the post and warned me yet I've been called a troll or hater about... well let's count... 1, 2, 3, 4 maybe like a million times here and that doesn't seem to be a problem. ;) 

your plight reminds me of an old joke:

“When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, There's just something about you that pisses me off.”

• Haha 1

My (unpopular) opinion is still that Motte should not have been traded and that it undermined BB's tremendous work getting the team to play their best and try for the best results, which at the time, were making the playoffs.  A 4th round pick down the road is a piece of dirty toilet paper in comparison.  IMO

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

My (unpopular) opinion is still that Motte should not have been traded and that it undermined BB's tremendous work getting the team to play their best and try for the best results, which at the time, were making the playoffs.  A 4th round pick down the road is a piece of dirty toilet paper in comparison.  IMO

I’m not sure I wouldn’t rather have Motte and an extra 3 mil in cap space than Mikhayev and a 4th if we’re so concerned about speed and the PK.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

your plight reminds me of an old joke:

“When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, There's just something about you that pisses me off.”

Well now you know why I am the way I am :(

10 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Here's what people who claim they are factual and others delusional overlook....it takes time to get there. Just labelling the team bad without considering all the things they've been up against is simply....hating. You have to consider what's been happening in those terrible runs and also take in the good as part of the assessment.

Bruce is a very good example and helped demonstrate that this team isn't so "bad" and if you don't acknowledge that then you're stuck on the idea of a "bad team".

It's all a matter of opinion and yes, some of us do get a little offended at the labels our team's been assigned by some here who don't exercise patience or reasoning at times. Give Bruce some more time with this roster then decide they're "bad" (or good). Also, a team can have some bad periods (like when Petey was MIA or they were in a rut under Green that they couldn't find a way out of).....doesn't mean they're just plain bad. They've been very good at times too, but some disappear when that happens.

While this is a bit of an emotional take, there is definitely some reason here. The problem is the person you are speaking to is too obtuse to consider something like extenuating circumstances. For instance, I cannot believe there are those in the fanbase/media who take the team's performance in the 20-21 season as if that season was not totally fraught with irregularities that provided the Canucks with more adversity than, perhaps, any other team in professional sports over the last generation+. To look at that season with a Canucks focus and determine that it was "business as usual" requires a substantial amount of ignorance or stupidity ( or both).

Edited by BlastPast

59 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

While this is a bit of an emotional take, there is definitely some reason here. The problem is the person you are speaking to is too obtuse to consider something like extenuating circumstances. For instance, I cannot believe there are those in the fanbase/media who take the team's performance in the 20-21 season as if that season was not totally fraught with irregularities that provided the Canucks with more adversity than, perhaps, any other team in professional sports over the last generation+. To look at that season with a Canucks focus and determine that it was "business as usual" requires a substantial amount of ignorance or stupidity ( or both).

mmk so what about the 19-20 season when the Canucks were on a 6-10-1 skid or something and perhaps saved by the COVID stoppage? Had it not been for "irregularities" we could have easily fell out of the race and not gone on that "bubble run".

It goes both ways. Excuses are for losers, and we've been a loser franchise for too long now.

It seems now that some adults are in charge we may be headed in the right direction, albeit so far they've been all talk with very little walk.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

mmk so what about the 19-20 season when the Canucks were on a 6-10-1 skid or something and perhaps saved by the COVID stoppage? Had it not been for "irregularities" we could have easily fell out of the race and not gone on that "bubble run".

It goes both ways. Excuses are for losers, and we've been a loser franchise for too long now.

It seems now that some adults are in charge we may be headed in the right direction, albeit so far they've been all talk with very little walk.

Yes, the difference there is the irregularities affected all teams equally. Did the Covid stoppage give the Canucks some sort of advantage over Minnesota? Those other comments are just blather. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, BlastPast said:

Yes, the difference there is the irregularities affected all teams equally. Did the Covid stoppage give the Canucks some sort of advantage over Minnesota?

One could argue it helped us specifically, a team that was struggling at the time. If you want to use the excuse of "circumstances out of our control" it goes both ways - it's very possible the circumstances helped us more than most other teams in 19-20.

I'd have more time for the 20-21 excuses if it was an anomaly of a season, as in we were perennially a good team before that and it was just a blip on the radar. But it was one excuse after another under old management, just depends on the year: some years it was the schedule, some years it was bad lottery luck, some years it was the fault of previous management, some years it was "rebuilds aren't linear", some years it was bad contracts that conveniently "only look bad in hindsight / who could have known?"

The only excuse I'm willing to buy for 20-21 is for the actual players/coaches which is that their GM undermined their attempts to take a step by the butcher job that was the 2020 off-season.

To much loyalty to players in this organization, to nice to trade players because we might be able to bring them back as an equipment manager assistant in 10 years.

Also, we celebrate the 1994 final loss like we won it.  No other team does that and it’s pathetic. 

Edited by MNaslund??
  • Cheers 2