The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

25 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Soooo.I have been thinking about this for a while........I think the canucks will draft one of these guys

Dvorsky, Leonard, Barlow, Danielson, Sandin Pellikka, or Reinbacher

I don't think Dvorsky will be there when we pick, but we would take him if he was there.all the rest we have a shot at?

I'd be pretty disappointed with Sandin-Pellikka at 11, personally. I might prefer Maxim Strbak to ASP after the U18s, but not sure I'd take him at 11 either. The rest I'd be ok with, and I'm sure at least one of them will be there. Maybe Wood over Danielson? They seem to be pretty closely ranked but I think the main difference is Danielson would be more the safer, lower upside pick while Wood is more of a home run swing.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Soooo.I have been thinking about this for a while........I think the canucks will draft one of these guys

I don't think Dvorsky will be there when we pick, but we would take him if he was there.all the rest we have a shot at?

I will be absolutely thrilled with that. 

After re watching last years Canuck draft video though 

Alvin is pretty clear here he doesn't care about the high floor guys. He can get 3c's shut down D's on the market or in free agency (still waiting).

He want's the highest ceiling players with little to no regard for the blue collar. 

I'm thinking he wants one of Benson, Sale, Cristal, Michkov, Perron, Heidt maybe Pellikka, Brindley

His priorities don't sound like a guy picking meat n potatoes. I don't agree with it but he's the guy making the picks. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

22 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Would anyone part with the 11th selection if we could nab Laf and Schneider from NYR and maybe we throw in Hoglander who they wanted badly for Kravtsov

Yes to the trade, but no Hog in it. I'd add Rathbone if they wanted a sweetner, but essentially 

To NYR:

1st round pick (11th overall)

To VAN:

Schneider 

Laff

3 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

No thanks to Dvorsky. None of the players that are solid and decent at everything.

This isn't the draft to make a "safe" pick. We need to be swinging for the fences with our 1sts.

if those are the options we have, leonard or sandin pellikka imo. 

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Alvin is pretty clear here he doesn't care about the high floor guys. He can get 3c's shut down D's on the market or in free agency (still waiting).

He want's the highest ceiling players with little to no regard for the blue collar. 

I'm thinking he wants one of Benson, Sale, Cristal, Michkov, Perron, Heidt maybe Pellikka, Brindley

His priorities don't sound like a guy picking meat n potatoes. I don't agree with it but he's the guy making the picks. 

i agree with allvins plan

the draft is where you go and try to secure a player that no team would ever trade you

Benson, Michkov, Cristal, Pellika could all become core players.

we should never be using our 1st to draft a guy that projects as a 3rd liner or a 2nd/3rd pair defenseman.

we should be finding guys that have some kind of defect that can be improved upon- e.g. too skinny (petersson) awkward skater (raty) too small (caufield). theyre the ones who have a chance to become greater than thier draft projections. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

The high floor logic seems a great idea in building a house, but in the first round,

take you best shot every shot.

Just you have to get Defenders, especially difference making RHD at the draft.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I'd be pretty disappointed with Sandin-Pellikka at 11, personally. I might prefer Maxim Strbak to ASP after the U18s, but not sure I'd take him at 11 either. The rest I'd be ok with, and I'm sure at least one of them will be there. Maybe Wood over Danielson? They seem to be pretty closely ranked but I think the main difference is Danielson would be more the safer, lower upside pick while Wood is more of a home run swing.

Most ranking have ASP in the 10-17 range before the U18's, I think his stock has increase a bit from the tournament as well. At 11 a Swedish RD might be too temping for Allvin. 

homer simpson episode 10 GIF

I am going to call people here...........

Whether it is Dvorsky or anyone else

Players are not put into the top 10 because they have high floors

That is so silly...........

And to look at it another way.............

Players are not ranked lower, because they have potentially high ceilings

They are ranked lower because the higher ranked have better all around skill (or more)

and in most cases, have skills in each category better than the lower ranked players

Sure they could have one outstanding skill, but generally they are ranked lower because

they have multiple skills lower than the higher ranked player

Yes when you compare Dvorky to Bedard, all his skills look average

But compare them to a lower ranked players those skills look pretty good

In the case of Dvorsky and the U18's he looked to have better skills than alot of stars

Which is exactly why there is talk of his draft ranking rising...........

And again in Dvorsky's case......he carried his team Offensively

Just remember Virtanen was one, if not the best skater in his draft year........the best!

How did that formula work?

I will go one step further...........anyone who is ranked in the top will not be slated to be a 3rd line center or winger

And the defenseman that is slated to be a 3/4 could and should be a very high #3, otherwise, why did he get ranked so high?

I actually doubt a top 10 defenseman would be ranked a 3/4 defenseman potential.........that seems quite foolish

I agree.......one should not pick average or mediocre, but...........IMO, top 10's are not that...especially in deep drafts

In saying that............Sandin Pellikka  will go before Reinbacher just for that reason, unless some scout actually think Reinbacher's "potential" ceiling is higher

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

My List of the range in which I think they'll get drafted in no exact order. 

(#1 Overall)

Bedard

(Picks 2-6)

Michkov, Fantilli, Carlsson, Dvorsky, Smith

(Picks 7-19)

Leonard, Wood, Sale, Benson, Perreault, Barlow, Honzek

Danielson, Moore, Yager

Gulyayev, Reinbacher, Sandin-Pellikka 

20-XX

Stenberg/Edstrom/Nordh/Willander/

Lindstein/Nilsson/Wahlberg/Erliden

Strbak/Ciernak/Cedzo/Pekarcik

Dvorak/Stancl/Hrabal

Hameenaho/Hulttanen/Kiiskinen/Kumpulainen/Nurmi/Pieniniemi

Cristall/Ritchie/Musty/Molendyk/Heidt/Dragicevic/Allen/Price/Bonk/Pinelli/Nadeau/Sawchyn/Ziemmer/Morin/Gauthier/Perron/Gibson/Bertucci/Bjornsson

Brindley/Nelson/Stramel/Whitelaw

But/Kantserov/Rykov/Simashev/Muhkanov/Susuyev

Molgaard

Etc..

I'm looking forward to finalzing my list after the draft lottery.

7 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Looking at the updated lists, It seems ASP, Barlow and Danielson might still be available at 11. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I really like Danielsons skating that and the premium position when compared to wood are big differences between them I think. 

i still think danielson potential is being slept on when other guys are saying he’s projecting as a 3C. I think I’ve got him back in my top 10 pushing Moore and I consider a 3C future being more of his floor. 

i agree with you on ASP now. I was much higher on him earlier in the year but I think I wouldn’t want to select him at 11 either:

Reinbacher is the only d I’m okay taking at 11. 

Strbak scares me a bit but he did have a hell of a tournament.

9 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Recrutes has him at 10 since at least Christmas.and I believe it was @R3aL here who was pumping Danielson's tires very early on saying he preferred Danielson to Ritchie (who was still pretty consensus top 10 at the time).

Haha ya I couldn’t understand why people weren’t talking about him more. Think it’s just the team he’s on and who he has to play with.

if he had a better team and line mates he would have had a more impressive year stats wise I think 

im still much higher on him than Ritchie too

8 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I could see this too and I’d throw sale and benson in as wild cards because they are wingers with things that could have them drop and they could also be super high on some scouting boards. 

i think Leonard and Dvorsky will be gone by our pick now sadly and they became two of my favorites in the range I thought we would be able to get them not so long ago 

Reinbacher / Danielson 

RIGHT HANDED guys with size high floors and high ceilings could be the play. 

• Cheers 2

I’ve become a bit obsessed with Stenberg. If he was a little taller I think he’d be higher on a lot of boards.

i don’t want a tournament to impact how I view a player so drastically but I can’t help it Stenberg has really impressed me 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I really like Danielsons skating that and the premium position when compared to wood are big differences between them I think. 

i still think danielson potential is being slept on when other guys are saying he’s projecting as a 3C. I think I’ve got him back in my top 10 pushing Moore and I consider a 3C future being more of his floor. 

i agree with you on ASP now. I was much higher on him earlier in the year but I think I wouldn’t want to select him at 11 either:

Reinbacher is the only d I’m okay taking at 11. 

Strbak scares me a bit but he did have a hell of a tournament.

Who’s a good comparable for Danielson?

9 hours ago, hammertime said:

to everyone complaining about how we went on a winning streak last season and picked at a worse spot, it wouldnt have made a difference. We could have been picking 7th overall and Alvin says in this video they had their list and they were sticking with it. On their list Lekkerimakki was 7th. So they most likely would have picked him in that spot. Just food for thought

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2