The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

I’m fine with one of ASP or Willander. TW has something about him that just says steady second pairing. I think that and the fact he is going to develop in the NCAA makes him. Great choice. You can’t deny the skating and skills of ASP though. We will get a great player 100%. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hammertime said:

I doubt it. Rather take Bonk if we are going for next best RHD once Rein ASP are off the board. I think it's smoke. Willander is a great 2nd round pick IMO I have about as much faith in him becoming a 2/3D as I do Stramel becoming a 2C. 

I love Stramel as a 3C all day in the late 1st early  2nd just as I appreciate Willander as a 4/5 RHD that's a tough position to play. 

Yeah with Willander he has had a great season but I would prefer to get a guys that has been excelling the last two or three seasons. Seems like what happened with Juolevi where he had a great year and we choose him instead of guys like Chychrun who was having a bit of a down draft year but at was a stud the two previous years and was getting wildly getting compared to Pronger at 15 years old. 

11 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I've seen a lot of top 10 mock drafts that look like this.  If it ends up going like this the Canucks have Barlow, Wood, Danielson and ASP.  Lots of choices at 11, either way can't wait to see who we get.  6 weeks away.

Could contain: Logo, Symbol, Advertisement, Text, Poster, Person

This looks like NHL Draft Pros mock draft board.  I like his enthusiam in his videos.

12 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I've seen a lot of top 10 mock drafts that look like this.  If it ends up going like this the Canucks have Barlow, Wood, Danielson and ASP.  Lots of choices at 11, either way can't wait to see who we get.  6 weeks away.

I doubt sharks don’t take Smith and I don’t see why Arizona doesn’t take a D-man. I think Mich is there for Philly/ Caps. 

Dylan MacKinnon would be a great 3rd round pick 6'2" Defensive right shot Dman and one of fastest straight line skaters in this draft class.

Nick Lardis is another guy (RW) who is on the smaller side and has a late birthday, but has many physical tools that if developed properly could become a really good player down the road. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/18/2023 at 8:01 AM, Phat Fingers said:

Me, I am with Button on ASP.

I don’t see size as a problem either, as he is 5’11 and around 180lbs in his draft year.

Already bigger than Hughes.

He adds an inch or two he and  twenty pounds in the next three to four years, he will have no issues in playing in the NHL with his agility and skating.

ASP 

then 

Reinbacher 

then 

Willander

Or a Center that can play in two years.

I am

Reinbacher

Willander

ASP

Right now but I aam fully comfortable and would bee happy if we took any three of them at this point.

On 5/18/2023 at 9:57 AM, HighOnHockey said:

I wouldn't say that, no. He played mostly on a line with Matt Savoie so they couldn't focus on one or the other. The Blades just played a tight-checking game, clogged up the middle and cut down on time and space. Their coach was named WHL Coach of the Year, by the way.

OK well, less convinced about him than I am about Carlsson as a center. Carlsson has been centering Sweden's top line at this Men's World Championship, between Lucas Raymond and Jonaten Berggren. I was very early on the Carlsson hype train and also the Carlsson center train, so loving to see him play such a huge role for Sweden and arguably outperform Fantilli on this big stage.

Compared to Wood and Honzek, about whom there's been a lot of talk as potential centers, I prefer But's 200 foot hockey IQ, as well as his playmaking and distribution through the middle of the ice.

Here's a few clips of him carrying through the neutral zone, the first two from the 2021 Hlinka gold medal game, where he was under-aged (#25), and the next two from a game late this MHL regular season (#50). Be sure to watch the 4th clip through to the end; features some nifty hands in tight space and leads eventually to a goal.

But is such a big boy.

Its interesting cause he doesn't really hav any comparables that I can see.

I dont know even with this clips (thank you for sharing) its not enough for em to form an opinion.

He does seem like. Avery interesting prospect though.

If he turns out to be 6 ft 5 ++ impact RHC though that would be insane..

13 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Scott Wheeler said something kind of interesting yesterday that Columbus could b very very high on Will Smith and some teams are higher on him then others.

I wonder if there is a world where:

BEDARD

CARLSSON

SMITH

FANTILLI 

is possible.

I feel like ASP has the bigger bust factor compared to Willander and I’d actually be pretty stoked at this point if we went with Willander. 

I’ve seen lots of smaller offensively gifted Dmen bust and in redrafts seen the steady eddy jump up or hold much more value 3 years later. 

Either or I’m trusting the scouting staff, almost everyone in management has a background in scouting in either Pro or Amateur. 

Im also handing one of our 3rd round picks to Ian Clark and say take your pick of what’s available. 

Edited by KyGuy123
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Amazing How Detroit still needs everything at the NHL level- goaltending, more D, high end C... ok well maybe they do not need more wingers with Larkin, Raymond, Kasper (C/W), I do not see DET drafting Moore- they have a much of tweeter Cs already in the system, they will swing high for player with highest ceiling 

Looking at the grouping this years it seems like there are 3 groupings give or take a player or two.

1-5, (Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, Smith)
6-10 (Dvorsky, Benson, Reinbacher, Leonard, Moore)
11-19 (Yager, Pellikka, Wood, Perreault, Danielson, Willander, Barlow, Sale) 

With us being at 11, the more I think about it, unless a players like Dvorsky, Benson or Leondard drop to us, I'd like to see us explore moving down.  Were still going to pick up a solid player 

Preds pick at 15 and have FIVE 2nd round picks over the next two years.
A deal with them around something like:

11th for the 15th + 46th + TBL 3rd round pick

Wings pick at 17 and 8 picks top 60 picks in the next 2 years.
11th for the 17th + 41st + 73rd

Hawks pick at 19 are Oozing top 60 picks over the next 3 years.  Since they are 8 picks back and a cap floor team, it might make value sense to offload some cap at the same time.  11th + 2024 NJ 4th round + Garlund for the 19th + 35th + 2024 VAN 2nd round pick

There's quite a few decent Ds down the line, after ASP, Reinbacher, Gulyeyev, Simashev and Willander.

Some will go in the 2nd Round, but could some of them drop to the 3rd and 4th?

(RD) Maxim Strbak

(LD) Tanner Molendyk

(RD) Lukas Dragicevic

(RD) Oliver Bonk

(LD) Theo Lindstein

(RD) Cam Allen

(LD) Caden Price

(RD) Hunter Brzustewicz

(LD) Etienne Morin

(RD) Aram Mennitian

(RD) Andrew Gibson

(RD) Adam Jiricek

32 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

There's quite a few decent Ds down the line, after ASP, Reinbacher, Gulyeyev, Simashev and Willander.

Some will go in the 2nd Round, but could some of them drop to the 3rd and 4th?

(RD) Maxim Strbak

(LD) Tanner Molendyk

(RD) Lukas Dragicevic

(RD) Oliver Bonk

(LD) Theo Lindstein

(RD) Cam Allen

(LD) Caden Price

(RD) Hunter Brzustewicz

(LD) Etienne Morin

(RD) Aram Mennitian

(RD) Andrew Gibson

(RD) Adam Jiricek

Jiricek is next year. 

I think Allen and Price will be there. I'd still take one or 2 of Sotheran, McCarthy, Dvorak 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

5 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Amazing How Detroit still needs everything at the NHL level- goaltending, more D, high end C... ok well maybe they do not need more wingers with Larkin, Raymond, Kasper (C/W), I do not see DET drafting Moore- they have a much of tweeter Cs already in the system, they will swing high for player with highest ceiling 

After messing the bed when they passed on Hughes and went after Zedina I don't think they'll pass up on ASP.  They got lots of forward prospects and rhd are so coveted  

• Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

After messing the bed when they passed on Hughes and went after Zedina I don't think they'll pass up on ASP.  They got lots of forward prospects and rhd are so coveted  

Yup. Yzermsn needs a high end puck moving D man. He make a huge mistake passing on Quinn and then another huge mistake letting us steal Hronek. He’s taking ASP. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Which one of these teams can you see picking Benson ? 

Top 5 = No 

Arizona- No 

Philadelphia- No 

Wash - No 

Detroit- Maybe 

St. Louis - No 

if Detroit doesn’t take Benson I can see him available at 11th

Coincidentally I think Detroit is one of the only teams that may select Reinbacher so their could be a pretty good chance one will be available . 

Arizona is the wildcard though 

possibly Arizona, because they need high end skill regardless of position, they need everything except big ok wingers