The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I don’t think he’s there for us at 11

You’re probably right unfortunately. Nonetheless if we’re going RHD then ASP would be a solid consolation prize. He looked so good at the U18’s and that’s not just because Button couldn’t stop gushing about him lol. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

You’re probably right unfortunately. Nonetheless if we’re going RHD then ASP would be a solid consolation prize. He looked so good at the U18’s and that’s not just because Button couldn’t stop gushing about him lol. 

I think it's realistic/possible that ASP is a far better pick than Reinbacher. It's just that we've already got lots of small skilled offensive Dmen.

I'm no scout, but the sense I get from different people's takes is that he'll eventually be a much better player in the league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

I think it's realistic/possible that ASP is a far better pick than Reinbacher. It's just that we've already got lots of small skilled offensive Dmen.

I'm no scout, but the sense I get from different people's takes is that he'll eventually be a much better player in the league.

Always take BPA because when the prospect is developed the club will be different than when the kid was drafted, so needs will have changed. 

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Always take BPA because when the prospect is developed the club will be different than when the kid was drafted, so needs will have changed. 

Yes, for all the talk about the Canucks wingers they actually don’t have many signed long term 

Garland 3 years 

Mikheyev 3 years 

Kuzmenko 2 years 

Boeser 2 years 

PDB 2 years 

Beauvillier 1 year 

Podkolzin 1 year 

Joshua 1 year 

McDonaugh- 1 year 

Lekkerimaki 

Hoglander

Karlsson 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Exactly - unless we’re planning to still never find our big shutdown RHD for three or four years (which may the case if recent history is anything to go by) - Reinbacher probably isn’t what we need.

As off the schneid has already inferred above, it could be that a winger is exactly what we need in three years after we’ve traded/moved all our current wingers to help address our problems on defense.

12 hours ago, hammertime said:

I would be ok with Sale. I think it would be consistent in terms of showing that PA is drafting in a certain direction. Barlow Leonard Wood these guys are complementary. They would mesh well with our core and fill an organizational hole. Sale on the other hand has the potential to be a franchise player and flip the script. Like Smith or Michkov. 

It comes down to me how much does PA want to Rebuild or Re tool. How much faith does he have in this core? If he's rebuilding I love the Sale pick if he's re tooling I don't like it as much. 

So why wouldn’t you want the franchise guy every time in a rebuild or re-tool? 

11 hours ago, R3aL said:

Canucks central sharing a trade proposal by Chicago media 

proposing 

Canucks 11th overall and a contract like Garland 

for

chicago 19th and a high second so for this example 35th overall (as they have 4 second rounders)

As gross as it would be if the scenario was they drafted two bc boys at 1 and 11 and we contributed to it.

I think I would do it. 

wed still get a high end prospect at 19 and we’d get a solid prospect at 35 and really help our forward mix and cap situation.

Interesting proposal though nonetheless 

Chicago beat reporter proposing this 

yes please 

my trade is getting rid of Brock or Myers with highest cap hit other than oel …want back highest 2nd 

to VAN

19th OA

35th OA

to CHI

Myers

11th OA

to ANA

Brock Boeser 1.5 retained 

to VAN

33 rd OA

= 11.1 in cap space 

gavrikov 4.75 x4 yrs 

compher 5.00 x 4 yrs 

E Rod 2.00 x 4 yrs 

LTIR money = 5.25

Barbashev 3.75

Schenn 1.25, an A, NMC

Milky Petey Kuz

Barby Miller Hogz

Podz E rod Compher

Joshua Aman Garland

Gavvy Hronek 

Hughes Schenn

OEL Bear 

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

yes please 

my trade is getting rid of Brock or Myers with highest cap hit other than oel …want back highest 2nd 

to VAN

19th OA

35th OA

to CHI

Myers

11th OA

to ANA

to VAN

33 rd OA

= 11.1 in cap space 

gavrikov 4.75 x4 yrs 

compher 5.00 x 4 yrs 

E Rod 2.00 x 4 yrs 

LTIR money = 5.25

Barbashev 3.75

Schenn 1.25, an A, NMC

Milky Petey Kuz

Barby Miller Hogz

Podz E rod Compher

Joshua Aman Garland

Gavvy Hronek 

Hughes Schenn

OEL Bear 

Take it to the proposal threads.

No point clearing cap space JUST to spend to the hilt.

Rutherford will do something, it's in his blood.  But no thank you for me because his history isn't exactly full of wins

https://www.capfriendly.com/trades/staff/jim-rutherford

• elephant 1

On 5/21/2023 at 8:01 PM, flickyoursedin said:

The Canucks being over the cap maybe a trade down might make sense. Detroit has a plethora of picks thanks to us and we already have a working relationship. What about 11th and Beauvillier for Rasmussen 17th and a 2nd round pick. This saves us 2.46 million in cap space gets a a big 3rd line center that can win faceoffs and the 17th probably still gets you Willander.

I think I would pull the trigger on this if both Wood and Reinbacher were off the board. Willander or Simashev would still be on the board. Dont know much about either, but both seem enticing enough to make this deal. 

Theres also a chance a top 10-15 player drops to 17 like Barlow, Danielsson, Moore etc. We get a young top 3c, retain a first, and recoup a 2nd round pick whilst saving 2.5m in cap. I think with Beauvillier, you may even be able to squeeze out an additional 3rd/4th pick given Detroit is moving 6 spots to just outside the top 10. 

On 5/22/2023 at 10:31 AM, canuckwings said:

Hmm wonder if that means more teams will pass on him...it's unlikely he'll drop as far as 11 but it's so interesting. 

I think he definitely has a chance to drop to 11 now. Podkolzin was similarly ranked top 3 in his draft year, no? Dropped to 10th. Maybe lightning strikes twice and we get Michkov. 

Convert Podk to center and run Kuzmenko Podk Michkov in the top 6 when he gets here (pipedream) 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why not take a player who is more ready then?

Reinbacher

Dvorsky

Barlow

Willander

Sale

Musty

Danielson

Just my guesses on some players who might be ready sooner.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Really?

We've needed a minimum of 2 true RHCs since 2013.  Two true RHDs since 2006.  Instead we drafted Schroeder, Grabner, and about a half dozen redundant wingers

BPA is not always what is best when you ignore points of critical need for a decade or more

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

I'm glad I don't have to make the final decision on the #11 pick. Some fans will be very happy, some will be really mad. 

A lot of negative talk about Benson lately, and maybe it's understandable? But when I think about the traits of the type of player I'm hoping for, regardless of size:

IQ

Skating

Competitiveness

Benson comes to mind. I wish he had more size, but if he has the heart of a lion, who knows how effective he'll be one day?  

Other players that could fit the mold are Barlow, Leonard, Perreault and are I say it - Cristall.

Smart, good skaters, gamers

Or do the Canucks draft a player who's already got size or already playing against men, etc?

Glad I don't have to make the pick.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, hammertime said:

I would be ok with Sale. I think it would be consistent in terms of showing that PA is drafting in a certain direction. Barlow Leonard Wood these guys are complementary. They would mesh well with our core and fill an organizational hole. Sale on the other hand has the potential to be a franchise player and flip the script. Like Smith or Michkov. 

It comes down to me how much does PA want to Rebuild or Re tool. How much faith does he have in this core? If he's rebuilding I love the Sale pick if he's re tooling I don't like it as much. 

Hasn't Sale been playing in the Czech men's league already? I get a sneaky sense watching him play is he's capable of adapting and playing sooner than later. I loved watching the clips of the Czech defender posted last page. Nearly every single outlet was to a wide open Sale blitzing up the wing for a great chance or goal. He looks like the real deal to me.

2 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

So why wouldn’t you want the franchise guy every time in a rebuild or re-tool? 

Yeah right. I get what he's saying in theory but as per above I think he fills both roles simultaneously. 

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Really?

We've needed a minimum of 2 true RHCs since 2013.  Two true RHDs since 2006.  Instead we drafted Schroeder, Grabner, and about a half dozen redundant wingers

BPA is not always what is best when you ignore points of critical need for a decade or more

I mean who thought ignoring the two most important out positions for 20 years would have consequences. If only someone had mentioned it to us earlier.

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm glad I don't have to make the final decision on the #11 pick. Some fans will be very happy, some will be really mad. 

A lot of negative talk about Benson lately, and maybe it's understandable? But when I think about the traits of the type of player I'm hoping for, regardless of size:

IQ

Skating

Competitiveness

Benson comes to mind. I wish he had more size, but if he has the heart of a lion, who knows how effective he'll be one day?  

Other players that could fit the mold are Barlow, Leonard, Perreault and are I say it - Cristall.

Smart, good skaters, gamers

Or do the Canucks draft a player who's already got size or already playing against men, etc?

Glad I don't have to make the pick.

Hmmm, yeah except both Benson and Cristall are known for poor skating if I recall correctly. Cristall's is even worse from the scouting reports. On top of that I think Perrault may be candidate for worst skater ever according to the reports. Where are you getting your scouting reports from? ;)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hasn't Sale been playing in the Czech men's league already? I get a sneaky sense watching him play is he's capable of adapting and playing sooner than later. I loved watching the clips of the Czech defender posted last page. Nearly every single outlet was to a wide open Sale blitzing up the wing for a great chance or goal. He looks like the real deal to me.

Yeah right. I get what he's saying in theory but as per above I think he fills both roles simultaneously. 

I mean who thought ignoring the two most important out positions for 20 years would have consequences. If only someone had mentioned it to us earlier.

Hmmm, yeah except both Benson and Cristall are known for poor skating if I recall correctly. Cristall's is even worse from the scouting reports. On top of that I think Perrault may be candidate for worst skater ever according to the reports. Where are you getting your scouting reports from? ;)

my reports? :lol:

Just judging from what I've seen, and a gut feeling. Not very scientific.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

my reports? :lol:

Just judging from what I've seen, and a gut feeling. Not very scientific.

Hehe, just joking around Nucker. We're all amateur scouts here. I am so involved with this draft I need it to hurry up and arrive.  The excitement is killing me. :towel::canucks:

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

yes please 

to VAN

19th OA

35th OA

to CHI

Myers

11th OA

to ANA

to VAN

33 rd OA

= 11.1 in cap space 

gavrikov 4.75 x4 yrs 

compher 5.00 x 4 yrs 

E Rod 2.00 x 4 yrs 

LTIR money = 5.25

Barbashev 3.75

Schenn 1.25, an A, NMC

Milky Petey Kuz

Barby Miller Hogz

Podz E rod Compher

Joshua Aman Garland

Gavvy Hronek 

Hughes Schenn

OEL Bear 

Depending on who's left at 11 I would do both of those trades. At 19, there's a very good chance that at least one of Willander, Simashev, Danielson, Ritchie, Yager, and Honzek are there. All good prospects that the Canucks can use. Plus we would be getting two high 2nds to select multiple of the Strbak/Bonk/Akey/Quentin Musty group.

43 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hehe, just joking around Nucker. We're all amateur scouts here. I am so involved with this draft I need it to hurry up and arrive.  The excitement is killing me. :towel::canucks:

I hear ya, I started looking at the prospects last fall, and seeing all of those names, not really knowing anyone except Bedard (hehe) Now, there's around 20 players I'd love to get on the Canucks. Really excited to see what they do. 

I was also thinking about the current roster and when they plan on arriving in VAN to start training. Sounds like some, maybe most, could be back sooner rather than later. I like that Tocchet is instilling that hard work and dedication. Hope it pans out. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I hear ya, I started looking at the prospects last fall, and seeing all of those names, not really knowing anyone except Bedard (hehe) Now, there's around 20 players I'd love to get on the Canucks. Really excited to see what they do. 

I was also thinking about the current roster and when they plan on arriving in VAN to start training. Sounds like some, maybe most, could be back sooner rather than later. I like that Tocchet is instilling that hard work and dedication. Hope it pans out. 

Yeah no doubt. So many intriguing players in this draft they are very hard to rank. I think the team will be focused from the get go for the first time in years. No rolly polly BB just relying on Miller, Petey, Demko, and Hughes, to do everything, and not getting the youth ready. This year with Tocchet the whole team will be involved right from the start and the team will be expected to play a certain way. There will be way more competition this year as well depending on what JR and co decide to do. For the first time in 5 years I'm kind of excited about the upcoming season and the possibility we could be competitive.