The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

58 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think he's in that top tier of players either.  Rising because of the combine is a risky gamble for teams.  I'd keep guys where I had them based on their season.

I think he rose because of his U18 tournament. I agree one short tournament should never be the reason, but sometimes it makes scouts realize perhaps they under rated a player. There's also the simple fact that scouts generally under rate European prospects (unless they are the elite of the elite) because of views and the idea that 'Canadians want it more".

Look at Petey, Kucherov, Pastrnak, over and over every year there are euro's who get under appreciated, and personally I have always thought its because scouts have a North American bias (as they think North American leagues are the best)....

Hard call, I haven't seen enough of him, but from what I have seen he's no slouch, and there's talk of him being the 2nd defenseman taken now. I don't think that talk is because of the combine.

Edited by NuckLuck19
  • Thanks 1

This draft looks like there could be a good chance of being creative.  If the Nucks don't like what is

available at 11oa, they could attempt a trade (Detroit) and up with 17oa + one of (41,42 or 43) Wings

are rich in 2nds.  Chances are, one of the guys they've been looking at might be at 17oa.

For the 2nd round pick, I think Stramel and Stbak are looking like sleeper picks. Ritchie

and Bonk might even end up in the 2nd round.

I like Willander (his speed/smarts/physicality are impressive).  Woods not so much (questionable

skating and processing is a concern). Danielson reminds me of Bo, but with better skating and

defence.  He appears to be in the 'middle 6 (safe pick)' category, but might top out as an elite

3C.

**If Oliver Moore is sitting at the 11oa, the Nucks have to grab him.  Despite his smaller

stature, he has so many +s in almost every skill category.  He plays 2nd banana to Smith,

who has better wingers on his line.  Also, it's interesting to note that Smith is only 1" taller

and 7lbs less than Moore.  Lots of 18yr olds continue to grow during their late teens and

early 20's. 

I can see him replacing JT at C in a few years.  I'm dreaming of a Miller-Moore-Pods line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I don't think he's in that top tier of players either.  Rising because of the combine is a risky gamble for teams.  I'd keep guys where I had them based on their season.

But he’s exactly the type of player we need though. How many teams need a Brett Pesce. 

He’s been steadily rising since Christmas. If Moore is there and they take him I wouldn’t be mad because I love his skill set too. Same goes for Leonard or Benson. Grab your guy then you can afford to gamble with the abundance of 3rd and 4th rounders we have. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

This draft looks like there could be a good chance of being creative.  If the Nucks don't like what is

available at 11oa, they could attempt a trade (Detroit) and up with 17oa + one of (41,42 or 43) Wings

are rich in 2nds.  Chances are, one of the guys they've been looking at might be at 17oa.

For the 2nd round pick, I think Stramel and Stbak are looking like sleeper picks. Ritchie

and Bonk might even end up in the 2nd round.

I like Willander (his speed/smarts/physicality are impressive).  Woods not so much (questionable

skating and processing is a concern). Danielson reminds me of Bo, but with better skating and

defence.  He appears to be in the 'middle 6 (safe pick)' category, but might top out as an elite

3C.

**If Oliver Moore is sitting at the 11oa, the Nucks have to grab him.  Despite his smaller

stature, he has so many +s in almost every skill category.  He plays 2nd banana to Smith,

who has better wingers on his line.  Also, it's interesting to note that Smith is only 1" taller

and 7lbs less than Moore.  Lots of 18yr olds continue to grow during their late teens and

early 20's. 

I can see him replacing JT at C in a few years.  I'm dreaming of a Miller-Moore-Pods line.

All of this!

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

For Oliver Moore I've been thinking maybe Chandler Stephenson. I don't think he's a top line player, maybe a 2nd line player maybe a great 3rd liner on a contender, but with that speed he'll be a useful middle 6 player.

Also the bolded is how I feel about Tanner Molendyk. Amazing skater but seems to often hold onto the puck too long & not really make anything of it.

I don't see the Moore/Stephenson comparison, although I do think Vegas somehow has turned

(what was likely a bust) into a very good, all around player.  Being a 3rd round pick,

Chandler has outplayed his projection 10-fold.

Looks like Canucks took out Danielson, Barlow, and Willander out for dinner. They did not interview nor speak to ASP at all.

according to Harman Dayal

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Looks like Canucks took out Danielson, Barlow, and Willander out for dinner. They did not interview nor speak to ASP at all.

Ya if you scroll back we’ve been talking about it all day aha  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Just read this as well. He had some interesting points on Willander playing bigger than his size, and with some nastiness.  I like these three, and think one, if not two should be available

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Well.  I won't give any reasoning for it because I just don't see the need to give an opinion on every player but I'll do my best here and this is not in order of who teams will pic; just my opinion only on who will be the more successful player over the five years post draft

Hips List:

1. Fantilli
  2. Carlsson
  3. Bedard
  4. Smith
  5. Dvorsky
  6. Sale
  7. Michkov
  8. Wood
  9. Reinbacher
  10. Barlow
  11. Simashaev
  12. Danielson
  13. M Hrabal
  14. Leonard
  15. Honzek
  16. Musty
  17. Bruszteweicz
  18. Sandin-Pellika
  19. Willander
  20. Moore
  21. Ritchie
  22. But
  23. Gulyav
  24. Bonk
  25. Benson
  26. Augustine
  27. Zeimer
  28. Halttunen
  29. Ciernek
  30. Heidt
  31. Stenberg
  32. Perreault

That's about it really.  No mention of teams.  Just players I think will be impactful over the next 5-10 years and I struggled putting Benson and Perreault on that list at all.

Thanks for the reply.

That was the criteria for my list, not where players would be drafted but what I think  their chances are of achieving of achieving success in the NHL.

2 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

But he’s exactly the type of player we need though. How many teams need a Brett Pesce. 

He’s been steadily rising since Christmas. If Moore is there and they take him I wouldn’t be mad because I love his skill set too. Same goes for Leonard or Benson. Grab your guy then you can afford to gamble with the abundance of 3rd and 4th rounders we have. 

I don't see willander in the top tier of 12-13 players who have separated themselves from the rest ........kids who would probably be a #5-7 pick in a regular draft year.  In all likelihood, at least two of moore, asp, simashev, reinbacher will be there.  I wouldn't pick willander ahead of any of them

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't see willander in the top tier of 12-13 players who have separated themselves from the rest ........kids who would probably be a #5-7 pick in a regular draft year.  In all likelihood, at least two of moore, asp, simashev, reinbacher will be there.  I wouldn't pick willander ahead of any of them

Exactly, you name 4 propects, we know who the top 5 are so we have an ods on chnace at #11 to get one of those. Sounds good to me

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

Rienbachers ready now willanders gone to university for 2,3 years. 

4 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Rienbachers ready now willanders gone to university for 2,3 years. 

Of the 4 I listed, DR would be my last choice, though I'd still be happy.  He's probably got the lowest floor, but maybe the lowest ceiling of that bunch, imo

On 6/10/2023 at 7:51 PM, Nurnge said:

I really can't see them trading away or down the 11th after trading away a first and second rounder already this year but i do see them trading up into the second with picks and or players 

the reason they move back, is to attain the cap space we need to be compliant and to bring in the right mix of player to have a team like vegas.

• Cheers 1

not sure if it’s been mentioned, but apparently the Canucks had dinners with 

Danielson 

Barlow

Willander 

at the combine 

According to Canucks central 

What this would suggest is these are their top 3 at 11 who they assume will be available. 

Their scouts have a good sense of who other teams are looking at so no Reinbacher, they probably assume he’s gone, and maybe they’re higher on Willander than ASP.

It could also suggest they’re contemplating moving down a couple of spots.

interesting to say the least 

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't see the Moore/Stephenson comparison, although I do think Vegas somehow has turned

(what was likely a bust) into a very good, all around player.  Being a 3rd round pick,

Chandler has outplayed his projection 10-fold.

Stephenson wasn't a bust, he was a very good defensively responsible bottom 6 center in Washington, & brought speed that was hard to play against. When he came to Vegas he started getting more opportunity & broke-out offensively.

He's had back to back 64-65 point seasons, and was on pace for 50+ the year before, that's pretty good production. I think you'd be happy if Oliver Moore is that productive an offensive player while being a speedster PK/potential matchup C. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NuckLuck19 said:

not sure if it’s been mentioned, but apparently the Canucks had dinners with 

Danielson 

Barlow

Willander 

at the combine 

According to Canucks central 

What this would suggest is these are their top 3 at 11 who they assume will be available. 

Their scouts have a good sense of who other teams are looking at so no Reinbacher, they probably assume he’s gone, and maybe they’re higher on Willander than ASP.

It could also suggest they’re contemplating moving down a couple of spots.

interesting to say the least 

Or maybe these three were their biggest question marks.... I'm personally not going to read too much into it. 

• There it is 2

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

Or maybe these three were their biggest question marks.... I'm personally not going to read too much into it. 

It usually means a lot. They don’t have much time there, so who they spend time with matters. 

of course if a player ranked higher falls they aren’t selecting one of those (ie say Moore is there or Dvorsky). 

I see your point but I do believe it indicates who they’re expecting in their range, who they like the best in that range and want to understand all three better such that if all are available they have a better view 

I take a different view than you on this. 

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Spot on... we already have our core star players in Petey, QH, Demko, Hronek (hopefully) and Kuz... 

The rest Should be cheap support, or at least support on ELCs... Size, grit and speed is a must but players also have to able to play up to middle 6, so they can influence the games... Or on D at least be good support players to the two players, we expect to be in our top 4. We already have a few looking interesting in D-Petey, Woo, Johanson, Wolanin and Hirose on top of the Abby D. If only D-Petey can continue his progression and Villiander or similar, we could start to look good on the back end.

look a lot more optimistic on our defence future, after hearing about D-Peteys progress.

But agree whole heartedly we need size, grit and speed, if a forward is chosen, and someone who is a can't miss RHD it that is at all possible, preferably someone who can defend first and foremost... 

I have mentioned this before, I follow the NRL- National Rugby League and my team is the Melbourne Storm.

They have been at the top or thereabouts since their inception over 25 years ago.

In our 25 year history we have been to the cup final 11 times and only missed the finals 3 times.

They did have 2 cups taken away due to salary cap BS.

They have a coach - 22 years- who is a genius at taking other teams discards and turning them into solid players who play their roles to perfection.

I have never seen a coach have success over a prolonged period of time, especially with having to deal with a salary cap like Craig Bellamy has.

We lost four of our key players this year, 13 players on the field, he brought in a few guys, one who had never played league, and we are still sitting third.

Apparently when he is scouting players they go all the way back to the players junior coaches, high school teachers, to assess the character of the player they are interested in.

As players have come and gone the one person who has been there nearly the whole time and who I attribute their success to is Craig Bellamy. 

Now this might be rugby league, however like hockey , AFL, all these team sports require athletes buying into a " system" playing their role in that system and operating under a salary cap.  

There is talk of him retiring this year, I would rather lose a couple of our stars than lose Craig " bellyache". 

Most of us who follow young players in these sports know about development.

This is crucial in any environment.

Some people are better than others at getting the best out of people, in this case young hockey players, than others. 

I wish we had the NHL version of Craig Bellamy.

• Like 1