The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

And if Moore is gone at #11, it's a damn for me too.  No wingers in the first, preferably.

I’ve been drawn to Yager. A Center that can pass the puck. Some feel he’s more of a top 20 player but I don’t know I have a good feeling there 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Devron said:

I’ve been drawn to Yager. A Center that can pass the puck. Some feel he’s more of a top 20 player but I don’t know I have a good feeling there 

Yager was ranked around #4 last September and remained in the Top 10 until February/March, but then dropped, maybe partly because he wasn't at the U18, and other players rose up the ranks?  Yager still has a ton of skill, speed and is a very smart player. He would be a steal at #20. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yager was ranked around #4 last September and remained in the Top 10 until February/March, but then dropped, maybe partly because he wasn't at the U18, and other players rose up the ranks?  Yager still has a ton of skill, speed and is a very smart player. He would be a steal at #20. 

https://bvmsports.com/2023/06/11/penguins-take-brayden-yager-to-dinner-at-nhl-combine/

pens are interested 

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Ignorance. At least on my part. I don't know enough about scouting the position. I really like Hrabal and Urban but I honestly wouldn't know where to rank them vs other players. Ian Clarke always get's a goalie pick in the 3rd/4th. Maybe Urban's there?

Judging by things, Augustine and Hrabal could easily go in the 1st round.  A few teams have extra picks that could see them nab one in the late first or early 2nd.  Hrabal looks like an absolute stud out there.  6 foot 6 and incredibly athletic and only 18 and more importantly...from the Czech republic.  I recall another insanely athletic netminder from the Czech republic that did ok in the NHL for a time

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Alf’s empties are chiming Benson will fall to us. With him we get a guy, who would have been 1OA in last year’s draft. He’s a future high compete, ppg, super smart, 200 foot Centre. He’s a guy who will push Miller to wing. He’s going to be brilliant. 

Nothing like boom or bust right?

Why not take the risk on a player in a redundant position who if they don't become a top 6 player will most likely end up in europe in 8 years.  Seems reasonable when we need to hit on every pick

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • elephant 1

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Why not take the risk on a player in a redundant position who if they don't become a top 6 player will most likely end up in europe in 8 years.  Seems reasonable when we need to hit on every pick

Why do we need to hit on every pick when the salary cap era means that there’s a constant flow of good players available for free or dirt cheap (asset wise) via UFA or trade with teams that need to unload cap? 

Better off shooting for the stars and trying to draft a special player that no team in their right mind woule trade away, without it costing an absolute haul 

• There it is 2

Just now, eeeeergh said:

Why do we need to hit on every pick when the salary cap era means that there’s a constant flow of good players available for free or dirt cheap (asset wise) via UFA or trade with teams that need to unload cap? 

Better off shooting for the stars and trying to draft a special player that no team in their right mind woule trade away, without it costing an absolute haul 

And most players on a club are not their own draft picks. Look at Vegas. Look at Florida. Even their top guys were mostly acquired via trade or through free agency. Stone, Tkatchuk, Bob, Eichel and more. It's about building a winner by getting the best players and that's done in more than just the draft. 

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I won’t be upset if we take Benson but I’m personally hoping C and then D before any of the likely Ws.  

C in particular - why not try and lean into the strength of this draft?

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I agree and my view on picks is well documented.  That said, they really do need to hit at #11.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Devron said:

Still quietly in the camp that Yager has more offensive upside than Moore.

Didn't have the greatest year this season but his tools are fantastic, very fast skater (not quite as fast as Moore but up there on the class) and can really fire the puck too. 

I'm really curious where he goes, guessing teens but not sure whether that's early or late.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Maybe they should take them to the strip club. Tell them every city has a secret Vegas. B)

Strip joint in Vancouver are well worth the visit.................... I've been told :bigblush:

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Alf’s empties are chiming Benson will fall to us. With him we get a guy, who would have been 1OA in last year’s draft. He’s a future high compete, ppg, super smart, 200 foot Centre. He’s a guy who will push Miller to wing. He’s going to be brilliant. 

Lol not even close.

2 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

ASP is way more of a boom or bust. I’d feel nervous picking him that high. Willander you can justify cause he’s an all situations dman and he’s committed to school for the next couple years where he most certainly will learn the North American game. Way more space to dangle and skate on the euro rinks which can make some players look a lot better than they are. Time will tell. Any of the 4 dmen I would be happy with. 

it’s fun to speculate but at the end we know nothing and barely have access to a fraction of the footage and resources professional scouts do. 

Will be interesting to look back and see how wrong or right these guys are. Button's previous mock drafts are always pretty close to the final draft and he often has a few players picked higher than they're drafted who really should have been, so he deserves some credit.

• Cheers 1