The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Any one of these guys could be a #1 overall pick in a normal draft year: my Top 5

Bedard

Fantilli

Carlsson

Benson

Michkov

The dream is for Benson to drop. 

Smith

Leonard

Dvorsky

I think these guys listed above are gone, which leaves (my choices):

Moore

Danielson

Willander

Barlow

Shane Malloy great talk on 650

-loves Barlow for us if available, likes Wallander but has him at 13/15 range

- Moore - not great hockey IQ but very fast and great shot - reminds me of mason Raymond lol, always hoped for more from him 

-Danielson projects as 3C good numbers with bad team but feels limited offensive upside

8 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

- Moore - not great hockey IQ but very fast and great shot - reminds me of mason Raymond lol, always hoped for more from him 

-Danielson projects as 3C good numbers with bad team but feels limited offensive upside

Hmm, the Mason Raymond comparable is concerning :unsure: 

44 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

fast but low iq, doesn't that sound like virtanin?

Should we hope another team takes Moore before pick #11?

I have no idea who I want anymore, so many good forwards and the D is intriguing as well with Reinbacher, Willander, Simashev and ASP.

2 hours ago, Kuzy said:

With the OEL buyout now and our new found cap space, does anyone think we might make a splash at the draft?

With bear hurt and OEL bought out def must have some loves cooking and hopefully they are ones we will like.. I’m sure they would have gotten squeezed in any trade being over the cap prior to the buy out too

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

He also said ASP isn’t as good a skater as Reinbacher, unless I misheard him. 

9 minutes ago, R3aL said:

With bear hurt and OEL bought out def must have some loves cooking and hopefully they are ones we will like.. I’m sure they would have gotten squeezed in any trade being over the cap prior to the buy out too

Better chance the 11th pick gets traded now I would say. They have cap space to take on an NHL ready player for the pick as they look to continue using the shortcut method. 

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Better chance the 11th pick gets traded now I would say. They have cap space to take on an NHL ready player for the pick as they look to continue using the shortcut method. 

Nope. We already made our trade for a top pairing elite d man. We dumped Bo on the islanders and used the puck we got to steal Hronek from Yzerman. We will make a couple more of these pkayer swaps for D and use free agency. Plus we have Woo and other young guys pushing for spots. 

Still need at least one more top 4 dman, they could make a run at Soucy or Graves in FA but will cost $$$. More likely they trade for a younger D uses premium trade chips either Lekkermaki or the 11th overall pick. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Still need at least one more top 4 dman, they could make a run at Soucy or Graves in FA but will cost $$$. More likely they trade for a younger D uses premium trade chips either Lekkermaki or the 11th overall pick. 

Now we need 2x top-4 defensemen

i think Graves in UFA

and one of Roy or Peeke via trade - both LA and CBJ have surplus and need cap space after their recent moves

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Any one of these guys could be a #1 overall pick in a normal draft year: my Top 5

Bedard

Fantilli

Carlsson

Benson

Michkov

The dream is for Benson to drop. 

Smith

Leonard

Dvorsky

I think these guys listed above are gone, which leaves (my choices):

Moore

Danielson

Willander

Barlow

I think Reinbacher will be drafted around the Leonard, Smith, Dvorsky tier and ASP could go in the top 10 as high as Detroit just under Moore.  Simeshev, Wood and Honzek might be off the board dark horses 

15 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I think Reinbacher will be drafted around the Leonard, Smith, Dvorsky tier and ASP could go in the top 10 as high as Detroit just under Moore.  Simeshev, Wood and Honzek might be off the board dark horses 

I could see a team liking ASP enough that he goes higher. Lots of hypotheticals.

58 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Now we need 2x top-4 defensemen

i think Graves in UFA

and one of Roy or Peeke via trade - both LA and CBJ have surplus and need cap space after their recent moves

We are probably looking at 5.5-6 million x 7 years for Graves and what happens if his play falls off a cliff in two years, we are back in the same boat. We need to draft and develop some Dmen. Better of drafting Dmen or trading for them. Ideal scenario for me is to draft Reinbacher and Trade for a big young left handed Dman like Bahl/Hague.  

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

I’m pretty certain they go with a defenseman in this draft. Canucks need a top level talent defenseman that will be on an ELC during the big OEL buyout years.

If Benson is taken, I’m almost certain they’re taking Willander. If both Willander and Benson are taken, they’ll trade down.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

10 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I’m pretty certain they go with a defenseman in this draft. Canucks need a top level talent defenseman that will be on an ELC during the big OEL buyout years.

If Benson is taken, I’m almost certain they’re taking Willander. If both Willander and Benson are taken, they’ll trade down.

Yup. The tier we are picking in will include the guys you mentioned. If they are gone then there will be others who we rank in that group that will be there later. 

as i see it, we need the right 5 players to be in the mix,  top 4 left and right d men, a play driving 3c and 2 top 6 rugged wingers that are tough to play against. sign barbeshev and draft one of willander, simashev, barlow or wood. look for another joshua and we have another year after that to find the other pieces. successful retool....?

• Cheers 1