The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

He had a pretty big Hlinkas too. 9 points in 5 games. His 4 Nations and 5 Nations were less than stellar but that's how it goes. With Russia and Belarus out the quality of competition at this tournament was unusually low. Last year they rolled with 8 teams but decided to go back to ten this year. A lot of players racked up numbers they maybe shouldn't have under normal circumstances. 4 Nations are what they sound like, USA, Sweden, Czechia, Finland. Every game is tough.

If Stenberg is in fact racking up points against weaker competition, then his performance at this tournament would be somewhat less impressive. So I figured I'd break it down. 4 against Canada, 1 against a pretty decent Slovakian team, 2 against an ok Czech team, 2 against a weak Germany team, 2 against a weak Latvia team, and then the games that matter - 5 more against Canada, and nothing in the gold game.

I dunno, all in all that doesn't look half bad to me. It's not the best team Canada has ever sent to this tournament but it's far from the worst. We were missing a few key players in Bedard, Benson, Molendyk, Bonk, Akey, Yager, Barkey, but still a lot of the top guys were there.

Anyways, to answer your question, I have no idea. Stenberg looked good to me. Skilled, pretty responsible with the puck, used his teammates well. 5'11 though and there's just so many really good forwards in this draft. He also played on the wing this tournament. If I had to guess I'd say late teens to early 20s, but it wouldn't shock me that much if he goes 12-15 I guess.

Thanks for answering my question

They caution, not to use one tournie as an assessment, which is why I asked

And there were alot of players out.......including the top 4 in the world

so....it is screwed things up for sure........

I guess, all I can take out of it, is he is solid, and well deserving of being a 1st rounder

So ow many guys looked better on this one.........Smith, Lenard, Perreault, Dvorsky, Sandin Pellikki (sp), Wood, ??????? Strabak......I don't think too many more

I guess what confuses me is his earlier rankings.aka late 1st round.......to go to 12-15 is a big jump.......I am confused.......nice player though!

Hey thanks again!

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

If theirs one thing this U18 tournament accomplished it was making Reinbacher more of a possibility at 11. 

He definitely dropped down the rankings because others rose 

Sandin Axel Pellika 

Leonard 

Dvorsky 

all supplanted themselves in the top ten 

I don't think that's how it works. 

I'm sure scouts are doing their homework just because player XYZ wasn't at the U18 doesn't make them automatically drop. I think it has a bigger effect on later round picks this is their chance to stand out against their peers. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Odd. said:

Reinbacher. Dvorsky, Pelikka, and Wood would be my selections, whoever is available in that order.

Surely at least 1 of them will be available…………

For me I would be ecstatic if we landed any one of Leonard, Dvorsky, Reinbacher, ASP, or Sale (in that order for me). The great thing is that there’s a decent likelihood that one or two of them will still be on the board when we make our pick. 

PS I don’t see us picking him with the 11th pick, but I absolutely loved Willander’s game. He’s solid and skilled. If there’s anyway we can package our two third round picks to get him I would do that in a heartbeat. 

Edited by YearoftheNuck
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

So who do we think the winners and losers of the U18's were in the end, that affect our draft region at least.  While I didn't see all the games - for me i'd say : 

Big risers

Perrault - lots of scouts had him second round. Maybe gone by 15 now.

ASP  - Likely goes top 10 or close now - lots of scouts had him below Reinbacher in 15-20 

Wood - hard to ignore his play - likely rises 5-10 spots but likely still on the board after we pick

Risers

Smith - was pretty much destined to go high anyway. Might have jumped a spot or too tho. 

Leonard - hard to see this guy not going top 10 now. 

Dvorsky - Looked to be falling coming into this tournament but hard to see how he doesn't go ~10 or higher now.

Fallers

Sale - He looked really good in the game I watched him in, but his stat line is hard to swallow for a pure scoring top-10 pick in such a draft. 

Moore - Didn't deliver the goods like some did and he looked a bit weak on the puck in the game I saw.  Still goes top 15 no problems, but top 10 I think now is a? 

Cristall - Didn't really get it done in this tournament - hard to see him going top 10 now, I think he could be the faller

I think you're bang on. Strbak, Willander and Lindstein really elevated their game too so I'd say that they should be in the conversation for the late first round, but may drop to 2nd. It's hard to separate that USA top line and say who was carried by the line vs who carried the line. Smith was brilliant but dare I say he doesn't generate as much offence without being on such a solid team. Dvorsky really shone for me - the guy is playing with plugs and carried that team along with Strbak, so they deserve some respect. Moore looked very average, hope we stay away from him. The Swedish forwards were decent but didn't really elevate their play in the big last game. Wood and Barlow will attract some attention for their gritty play.

11 hours ago, Odd. said:

On the other hand, Wood has been incredible and is exactly the type of forward our core is missing. 6’4, crafty, incredibly skilled, top 5 hands in the draft, and can absolutely rip the puck home like Pettersson. A guy like that on the wing would be a massive asset like a Rantanen, Laine, or Timo Meier. 

Wood was also a center before coming to college hockey which is always an amazing plus. I can see the Canucks perhaps converting him back to center if it’s in both parties interest.

As well, Wood has the most points in a college season as a 17 year old since before the lockout. The last player who put up similar points as a 17 year old freshman was Toews.

Yeah I think Wood's clutch play will get him taken high for sure, as will Barlow's IMO. Everyone always goes for a gritty guy like that. Last time we did it was Virtanen so I'd rather stay away and use a high pick to acquire top-end talent and skill, but someone will take one of these guys high and draw comparisons to prime Lucic/Tkachuk etc. but we've been burned by that before. I think the problem with drafting powerforwards is if their hockey IQ/speed/skill doesn't match up with their frame, they never become top line forwards, we see a lot of big guys taken top-10 who don't pan out. Meanwhile if you're drafting top pure skill (eg. Petey or Hughes) you can't really go wrong. 

After this tournament, the big question is - if ASP, Reinbacher, Dvorsky and Leonard are all available, who do we pick?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, hammertime said:

I don't think that's how it works. 

I'm sure scouts are doing their homework just because player XYZ wasn't at the U18 doesn't make them automatically drop. I think it has a bigger effect on later round picks this is their chance to stand out against their peers. 

In a way it does because he was never rated top 10 to begin with. Sometimes the last viewing of a player can stick and play a factor. Based on your reasoning this tournament did not positively or negatively impact these kids draft position .

I would bet that when the final rankings are released Benson, Reinbacher, Danielson and Yager will have dropped who did not play at U18’s.

Edited by Off_The_Schneid!

14 hours ago, Odd. said:

His skating certainly needs work as he has some awkward strides but his speed is decent. He can skate sufficiently enough that it won’t hinder him much at all. He’s 6’4 193lbs so he’s going to need some time to really fill in that frame. 

I dont think its really Wood's speed that is an issue, its his explosiveness in his first few steps that needs some work, but I believe he has identified the need to improve this and college is a great place to improve that kind of stuff with lots of time in the gym. He stepped up in the bronze metal game and was in on every goal for Canada. 

This was a huge goal. He lined up 4 players infront of their goalie. This was Salo esque he didn't try to clap it he knew they respected his shot. This was more surgical love to see it.  

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

My rankings after the U18 Tournament 

1) Bedard

------------------

2) Fantilli

------------------

3) Carlsson

4) Michkov

5) Smith

------------------

6) Dvorsky

7) Reinbacher

------------------

8) ASP

9) Leonard

10) Wood

11) Sale

12) Benson

-------------------

13) Yager

14) Barlow

15) Perrault

16) Moore

17) Honzek

18) Ritchie

19) Danielson

20) Halttunen

21) Cristall

--------------------

22) Stenberg

23) Simachev

24) Dragicevic

25) Strbak

25) Stramel

26) Heidt

27) But

28) Wallinder

29) Musty

30) Gulyayev

31) Brindley

32) Pekarcik

If I had to guess what the Canucks actual draft list looks like. I'd like think it would be something like this. 

Edited by hammertime

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

My rankings after the U18 Tournament 

1) Bedard

------------------

2) Fantilli

------------------

3) Carlsson

4) Michkov

5) Smith

------------------

6) Dvorsky

7) Reinbacher

------------------

8) ASP

9) Leonard

10) Wood

11) Sale

12) Benson

-------------------

13) Yager

14) Barlow

15) Perreault

16) Moore

17) Honzek

18) Ritchie

19) Danielson

20) Halttunen

21) Cristall

--------------------

22) Stenberg

23) Simachev

24) Dragicevic

25) Strbak

25) Stramel

26) Heidt

27) But

28) Wallinder

29) Musty

30) Gulyayev

31) Brindley

32) Pekarcik

Really good list. I’d have Benson at 10, Wood 11, Sale 12. But other than that, great list.

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Honestly based on the tournament and GMs watching, I think the final rankings will go (based on teams picking):

1) Bedard

2) Fantilli

3) Michkov

4) Smith

5) Carlsson

6) Dvorsky

7) ASP

8) Leonard

9) Sale

10) Benson

11) Reinbacher

12) Wood

13) Perrault

14) Cristall

15) Barlow

16) Moore

I think that's quite low for Moore, but that's an otherwise awesome list. I'm glad to see people are taking notice of just how good Dvorsky is, and that people aren't just looking at Sale's stats (or lack thereof) to pass judgement on him. Wood is intriguing too, and I like some of the player comps I've heard for him like Meier, Rantanen and Wheeler, in that he's one of those big forwards with elite skill that will fit like a glove on any team's top line. I think he'll have a long and illustrious career, and a team will be smart to 'reach' for him. Barlow at only 15 is pretty crazy too, but only so many players can go higher...

Bring on the draft already, ladies and gents!!!!!

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Honestly based on the tournament and GMs watching, I think the final rankings will go (based on teams picking):

1) Bedard

2) Fantilli

3) Michkov

4) Smith

5) Carlsson

6) Dvorsky

7) ASP

8) Leonard

9) Sale

10) Benson

11) Reinbacher

12) Wood

13) Perrault

14) Cristall

15) Barlow

16) Moore

I think Stenberg passed a lot of what you have there. Not sure if he cracks the top 10 or is just outside of it. Both him and Pellikka are in my top 10 and above Sale. 

Edited by Pure961089

I found the U18 tournament to be a bit of an eye-opener. I hadn't seen most of these payers play yet. I can see how the rankings will change after this tournament, with some players like Dvorsky, Smith, Leonard, Perreault, etc doing so well, while others like Cristall, Moore, Dragicevic, not doing too good. I see them dropping.

So, what if it's VAN's turn to pick and Reinbacher is still available (ASP is gone), and Allvin selects Willander. ??

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I found the U18 tournament to be a bit of an eye-opener. I hadn't seen most of these payers play yet. I can see how the rankings will change after this tournament, with some players like Dvorsky, Smith, Leonard, Perreault, etc doing so well, while others like Cristall, Moore, Dragicevic, not doing too good. I see them dropping.

So, what if it's VAN's turn to pick and Reinbacher is still available (ASP is gone), and Allvin selects Willander. ??

End Game Success GIF by GEICO

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Then we all got to trust, that the scouts, who followed these prospects throughout the year, know, what they are doing. 

• Cheers 1