The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

He’s not really a projectable C though. He even says himself he’s more comfortable on the wing and is projecting his career on the wing. 

Who knows maybe it changes but based of his faceoffs in Jr him taking draws in the NHL seems very unlikely.

i do think he is a very responsible

wimger though that often covers C ice D zone responsibilities down low and he could be a very impactful forward in the D zone at evens from the wing. 

but projecting him as an Elite C is tough when he doesn’t identify to be a C and his draws are dreadful and he is on the smaller side

Excact same size as Bedard and is better defensively. Very projectable as a centre, wouldn’t draft him high tone a winger. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I'm in a funk there's not much hope. The cap will rise for the rest of the league for us it just offsets our buyout. I don't think this core has a chance. Time to start over. 

Lets swing for the fences and try to draft our next star. I think I'd go Perreault. 

I want to believe because I'm a canuck's fan that we can stay the course and we're on the right path just have faith. I was sold on patience and I can see now they were selling shower curtain rings.

john candy ok GIF

I will enjoy this season as it will be our last chance at glory for a long time to come.  

Well we need:

- a 3C preferably RHC that can kill penalties and provide some offence 

- top pairing RHD to play with Hughes, or they patch it and wait for Bear

- TOP 4 LHD to play with Hronek

- Bottom pairing LHD (PK / shutdown guy) to partner with Myers if he’s staying 

- mikheyev to be rehabbed and good to go

- kuzmenko to take a step in his all around game and still produce like he did last year

- petey and Hughes to maintain last years performance or with the help of god take another step

- Hronek to be rehabbed and as good as planned

- new D unit to mesh together 

- PK to not be cheeks 

- boeser to not be a plug or a slug defensively 

- beauvillier to be consistent 

- JT to play C like he did down the stretch 

- demko to play great and stay healthy

- back up situation to now sewer our hopes

- to stay relatively healthy as our depth is thin

- if keeping bear we need him to come back and not take too long to get back into form 

- to start the season strong

-  a miracle or two

- podkolzin to contribute much more than he did last year

- garland to find a role and / or hoglander to push into a spot and contribute consistently 

- and one more miracle 

- Aman and Joshua to build off last year 

- team to be faster and stronger after a better offseason training 

What If Omg GIF by Bounce

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Excact same size as Bedard and is better defensively. Very projectable as a centre, wouldn’t draft him high tone a winger. 

Bedard is a unicorn though.

Benson in his draft combine interviews has told teams and media he’s a winger. I mean you can project him there but if the player themselves are saying there a winger, they probably a winger.

coild it change over the next couple years on his path sure, but right now it looks very unlikely he will be a C at the NHL imo

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Well if we talking complete fairness I’m fairly sure Garland wasn’t drafted his draft year. And was the following season. 

And if you read what I wrote or previously about them I don’t think they are great comparisons. I do understand the connecting lines that have been drawn and discussed previously here though.

i do think Benson is a higher end prospect though for sure. And I’m not the one pushing the comparisons but they actually do have some similarities. So it wouldn’t be fair to not acknowledge those.

Where the comparison stems for me is simply put they both thrive in scrambly hockey where the defense structure is broken. I have trouble seeing Benson have NHL success due to his lack of ability to break through and make plays against a structured D. It showed in the playoffs and it showed in his inability to score on the PP. 

Am I anti Benson no. Honestly if we get a middle 6 guy who puts up 20g 5v5 50-60 points playing hard 2way mins we could do a lot worse. I like Garland a heck of a lot more than I like Brock's lazy disinterested slow soft play.

He (Benson) ain't a C though. He doesn't strike me as a player we wouldn't be able to replace on the market.  But neither does Lekkerimaki.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Well we need:

- a 3C preferably RHC that can kill penalties and provide some offence 

- top pairing RHD to play with Hughes, or they patch it and wait for Bear

- TOP 4 LHD to play with Hronek

- Bottom pairing LHD (PK / shutdown guy) to partner with Myers if he’s staying 

- mikheyev to be rehabbed and good to go

- kuzmenko to take a step in his all around game and still produce like he did last year

- petey and Hughes to maintain last years performance or with the help of god take another step

- Hronek to be rehabbed and as good as planned

- new D unit to mesh together 

- PK to not be cheeks 

- boeser to not be a plug or a slug defensively 

- beauvillier to be consistent 

- JT to play C like he did down the stretch 

- demko to play great and stay healthy

- back up situation to now sewer our hopes

- to stay relatively healthy as our depth is thin

- if keeping bear we need him to come back and not take too long to get back into form 

- to start the season strong

-  a miracle or two

- podkolzin to contribute much more than he did last year

- garland to find a role and / or hoglander to push into a spot and contribute consistently 

- and one more miracle 

- Aman and Joshua to build off last year 

- team to be faster and stronger after a better offseason training 

What If Omg GIF by Bounce

EEEEEzy peeezy lemon squeezy.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Where the comparison stems for me is simply put they both thrive in scrambly hockey where the defense structure is broken. I have trouble seeing Benson have NHL success due to his lack of ability to break through and make plays against a structured D. It showed in the playoffs and it showed in his inability to score on the PP. 

Am I anti Benson no. Honestly if we get a middle 6 guy who puts up 20g 5v5 50-60 points playing hard 2way mins we could do a lot worse. I like Garland a heck of a lot more than I like Brock's lazy disinterested slow soft play.

He (Benson) ain't a C though. He doesn't strike me as a player we wouldn't be able to replace on the market.  But neither does Lekkerimaki.

I have a hard time basing Bensons abilities off that one playoff series where they lost so multiple players struggled on the team to play their games. I don’t think their offensive styles are identical or How they carry the puck. And garland stays on the outside and spins much more than Benson does.

i also think Garland size is a greater factor than bensons. I think this is very important too. 

garland was 5.75/5.8 when drafted and honestly even though nhl team

list him at 5 10 I call BS. And his weight is basically that of Benson rn. 

Benson at the age of garland measurements will be very different I think. And their could be 2+ inches in height difference.

also garland has one of the shortest sticks in the league. 

Based off last year comparing boeser and garland 100%. But would you take rookie season boeser or bubble season boeser over garland last year or year before? 

but Out of:

willander

reinbacher 

danielson

wood

dvorsky

simashev

benson

benson would worry me the most for sure. I’ll support the pick if we make it and I’ll be excited but I’ll def be nervous. 

honestly all these kids have concerns, but they also have paths to project them being highly successful and good fits here.

let’s hope they get it right. And let’s hope if we take benson he is a special player. I def agree he’s not a C though.

Lekkeriamki I really really like and I’m super excited to see how he plays next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

Great interview.

I enjoyed that hadn’t seen it. 

marks interview style is bizarre to me though. Like a robot. I like his questions but he’s not got the best vibe / tone lmao like zero personality 

I’m super bullish on this kid. If we pass on him it’s gonna be tough to follow him post draft. Kid in our back yard, physically freak, super skilled, and super determined to be great 

I’d love to draft him and I really do think he’s gonna play C next year and have a hell of a year 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, hammertime said:

All offensive minded players thrive on other club’s mistakes. The difference between Benson and Garland is Benson is great when playing without the puck. He’s élite defensively. 

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

In all fairness, Garland was a 5th round pick, so he's not a good comparison to Benson.  

Garland being a 5th round pick means literally nothing.  It's like saying Hansen was a 9th round pick so he wasn't comparable to Lauri Tukonen.  Or Lidstrom was a 3rd round pick so he wasn't comparable to Doug Zmolek.

Draft pedigree goes out the window the second the draft ends and it's time to produce.

Garland is one of the better 5v5 players in the league for his contract over the past 4 years.  Benson is an aspiring prospect nothing more yet.

Edited by Warhippy

35 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Garland being a 5th round pick means literally nothing.  It's like saying Hansen was a 9th round pick so he wasn't comparable to Lauri Tukonen.  Or Lidstrom was a 3rd round pick so he wasn't comparable to Doug Zmolek.

Draft pedigree goes out the window the second the draft ends and it's time to produce.

Garland is one of the better 5v5 players in the league for his contract over the past 4 years.  Benson is an aspiring prospect nothing more yet.

What’s the point of the draft with that logic.

• Vintage 1

Not too high on Nate Danielson from what I'm reading and hearing. Every year in the draft there is at least one kid who is a very "complete" player but doesn't really wow you. Basically a low ceiling, high floor kind of guy. If the Canucks are going to take a player like that with their first round pick I'd like to see them trade down to do it rather than just use the eleventh for him straight up. 

• Upvote 1

Trying to imagine who I'd want developing for the Canucks. A player I can get excited about, confident they'll make the big team one day soon.

The Russians concern me, just because of the risk factor. Will they be a Kuzmenko or a Tryamkin or a Goldobin? Big gamble. If the Canucks had two 1sts, then I'd say take a chance, but they don't. It's one shot at an elite player that will help the Canucks one day.

Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith and Leonard will all be gone.

Cs - Dvorsky, Danielson

Ws - Benson, Wood, Barlow

Ds - Willander, Reinbacher

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Every year there are players (like Garland) that exceed their draft projection by far; just as there are others

that never live up to their projected (1st round high ceiling). The law of averages dictates that this is not the norm

and the chance of drafting a good player are better in the 1st round.

Benson will be picked in the top 10 at the draft, so the chances of him finding success in the NHL are high.

If I were picking him, I would expect him to be a top 6 player.

Garland (who is underrated by fans) has overachieved his draft ranking by far.  Imo, he is a middle 6 player.

Still, I think it's ridiculous comparing him to Benson.  Benson should be compared to other top 10 picks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1