The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

I know the Canucks need more C&D and to get bigger  but the two I hope most for in 11 days are Michkov or Benson , Ep and Miller will be taking all the faceoffs for the foreseeable future so does Benson really have to be great at taking faceoffs . I would see Miller taking all the faceoffs for Benson same as he did mostly on the 649 line . Benson could be wing or center depending on the matchup .  Michkov drops past Washington to 11th than you can't pass on that talent unless you know something that really really frightens you . If they are gone than I would choose either their best true center available or the the most promising D the Canucks like and this is the only time i could see them trading down a few spots .

42 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nashville, Detroit and Winnipeg are the teams to move back with.  Nashville has the 15OA.  Detroit 17OA and Winnipeg 18OA.  I'd feel best moving back with Nashville as there is a possibility that our guy will still be there at 15.  We don't need to move Garland but we can ask for Sissons in return for Nashville moving up 4 spots.  That's only if Nashville really likes a guy that is still available at 11.  Same would apply to Detroit.  We could give them Beauvillier and ask for Rasmussen for them to move up 6 spots.  With Winnipeg, it would be the PLD deal, but not sure that is feasible now that we've opened up the cap space and don't need to move Miller any longer...

I agree Nashville is the only team that makes sense to trade down with, and it should only be for the purpose of recouping an early second round pick as we no longer need to move out contracts after the OEL bought out. I wouldn't drop to 17/18th unless Detroit/Winnipeg is willing to pay a hefty price, which is unlikely to happen. We should have the leverage to make it very expensive for other teams to move up in the draft. 

My most ideal scenario is for us to get one of Nashville's early second round pick by swapping our 11th with their 15th, and still be able to draft Wallinder. 

I would stay away from PLD. He strikes me as a me player and I highly doubt he wants to come to Vancouver. It would be habs or some other non canadian big market team. 

Edited by canuckwings
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Every year there are players (like Garland) that exceed their draft projection by far; just as there are others

that never live up to their projected (1st round high ceiling). The law of averages dictates that this is not the norm

and the chance of drafting a good player are better in the 1st round.

Benson will be picked in the top 10 at the draft, so the chances of him finding success in the NHL are high.

If I were picking him, I would expect him to be a top 6 player.

Garland (who is underrated by fans) has overachieved his draft ranking by far.  Imo, he is a middle 6 player.

Still, I think it's ridiculous comparing him to Benson.  Benson should be compared to other top 10 picks.

Like...Juolevi?  Yakupov?  Virtanen?  Patrick?  Stefan?  G Reinhardt?  Pouliot? Dal Colle?  A Nylander?  L Anderson?

My statement stands.  The moment a player has been drafted, that draft pedigree goes out the window in all but the eyes of GMs and the stat sheets.  After that number is called it's a whole new game.

48 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'm surprised by your top D. Thought you were niet to Ruuskis. 

I'm just really nervous about drafting a Russian at #11, because the pick is so important, and they can't miss on this one. Maybe Simashev ends his KHL contract and signs/goes to Vancouver as soon as possible? If that were the case, then I'd be very happy getting Simashev. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuckwings said:

I agree Nashville is the only team that makes sense to trade down with, and it should only be for the purpose of recouping an early second round pick as we no longer need to move out contracts after the OEL bought out. I wouldn't drop to 17/18th unless Detroit/Winnipeg is willing to pay a hefty price, which is unlikely to happen. We should have the leverage to make it very expensive for other teams to move up in the draft. 

My most ideal scenario is for us to get one of Nashville's early second round pick by swapping our 11th with their 15th, and still be able to draft Wallinder. 

I would stay away from PLD. He strikes me as a me player and I highly doubt he wants to come to Vancouver. It would be habs or some other non canadian big market team. 

Yeah I was also looking at that. Nashville’s 15OA plus one of their 2nd’s for our 11OA. I think it all depends on who is available at 11. If Wood or Willander are available at 15 then I would do that deal 100%. 

I’s also do 15OA and Sissons for 11OA. Again depends who is available at 11OA. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah I was also looking at that. Nashville’s 15OA plus one of their 2nd’s for our 11OA. I think it all depends on who is available at 11. If Wood or Willander are available at 15 then I would do that deal 100%. 

I’s also do 15OA and Sissons for 11OA. Again depends who is available at 11OA. 

At 11, we won’t know who is available at 15. We could trade #11, then see Wood and Willander taken at 12, 13 or 14. I do agree that trading down with Nashville makes more sense than trading lower, like to #19.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

This management better not trade away the 11th pick, that's all i gotta say. 

I'm with you..  I was so choked when we traded away the 9th two years ago.  Ended up being a total bummer for the 2021 draft after researching all the prospects. 

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm just really nervous about drafting a Russian at #11, because the pick is so important, and they can't miss on this one. Maybe Simashev ends his KHL contract and signs/goes to Vancouver as soon as possible? If that were the case, then I'd be very happy getting Simashev. 

Dan Millstein is his agent....  we probably have a good idea about his future if we end up picking him. 

10 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Dan Millstein is his agent....  we probably have a good idea about his future if we end up picking him. 

Maybe even a good chance the Canucks take Simashev, with Millstein in the mix

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

My issue with Danielson is it seems like alot of his offense comes from being bigger (reach) & faster than other kids in junior, taking opponents wide & creating opportunities that way (sort of like Virtanen in the W). Itll be alot harder in the NHL.

His vision is good as far as finding options but he's not very creative & seems to play more to the outside. 

Not sold he's exactly a Selke-level defensive C either. Though hes certainly committed to his own end. 

His off the rush offence is what your referencing and Virtanen usually just overpowered players from the outside.

he wasn’t that creative in his play making or how he created chances. Nate drives offence in lots of different ways and he creates space to elevate his line mates. He does use his reach size to his advantage but so does every big forward.

Jake scored so many goals by going through defenders on the wall or just burning by them and shooting it clean through a goalie. And it was quite a big % of his offence which are not how most goals are scored in the NHL

hard to project selke at this age but he has his coaches praise, he has the commitment to not cheat at this level and play the right way and he showed well against bedard when they played against eachother and he had to shadow him. He also has the physical tools to matchup well

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

His off the rush offence is what your referencing and Virtanen usually just overpowered players from the outside.

he wasn’t that creative in his play making or how he created chances. Nate drives offence in lots of different ways and he creates space to elevate his line mates. He does use his reach size to his advantage but so does every big forward.

Jake scored so many goals by going through defenders on the wall or just burning by them and shooting it clean through a goalie. And it was quite a big % of his offence which are not how most goals are scored in the NHL

hard to project selke at this age but he has his coaches praise, he has the commitment to not cheat at this level and play the right way and he showed well against bedard when they played against eachother and he had to shadow him. He also has the physical tools to matchup well

Danielson definitely has better vision. He's a better hockey player than Jake pretty easily, I just brought up that name b/c I think some of Danielson's offense comes from using his speed + reach advantage on the outside & its a similar critique to how most of Virtanen's offense came from blowing by players on the outside. (Atleast that's what came to mind for me, still scarred by that pick apparently lol)

Danielson will often look for passes or continue to hold onto it until there's a better play (unlike Virtanen who would flip a nothing shot on net last second) but I still think there's a question of if his offensive game will suffer when the advantage of holding onto it as long as he wants on the outside goes away. He does have good vision with the puck on his stick but as a playmaker I don't find him to be very creative. I think he projects as a pretty north/south player.

Its a good point that no one has ever really projected a selke win for a prospect, but just don't think Danielson is as aggressive as you'd like (at both ends tbh), like Dvorsky is for example, maybe even Moore aswell. I think I like Dvorsky's defensive game more. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 2

I wonder if we could pull something sexy like trading Myers + the 11th to Chicago at 19 but then flip 19 plus Garland to Pittsburgh for the 14, Granlund and bonus parts.

Would open up some serious cap, still having us pick relatively high, and put a warm body in the 3C hole.

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

I wonder if we could pull something sexy like trading Myers + the 11th to Chicago at 19 but then flip 19 plus Garland to Pittsburgh for the 14, Granlund and bonus parts.

Would open up some serious cap, still having us pick relatively high, and put a warm body in the 3C hole.

I think that’s awful. Moving down out of the top 15 to unload an expiring contract that is an asset to cap floor teams and could be a trade chip at the deadline 

theyd very poor asset management from my perspective 

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I think that’s awful. Moving down out of the top 15 to unload an expiring contract that is an asset to cap floor teams and could be a trade chip at the deadline 

theyd very poor asset management from my perspective 

No they trade back into the top 15 by moving the 19 for Granlund + the 14OA