The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seider had worst stats then Hronek last year.  Seider was a -11 and Hronek was a +9 while with Detroit.  Hronek is also more effective on the PP and has a much better shot.  Seider may be bigger and may be a bit better defensively, but he is in no way in the same class as Dahlin, Makar or Hughes.

Seider has his sophmore slump last year and still put up decent numbers on a gross team. He is going to be the "man" and I for one, will not be surprised when he puts up more points than Hronek next season.

Also, I never said he was in the same class as Dahlin, Makar and Hughes and simply referenced them as elite skaters with an amazing knack to get the puck up the ice fast via skating prowess. Seider is young and improving and as we know D typucally take time to marinate. Dahlin took 5 years to "break out"- let's see how Seider looks when he is in year 5 at age 25. By then he should be battling for Norris votes as a serious contender.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bob McKenzie has Matthew Wood right at 11. And higher than Barlow. If his board drops exactly according to his picks then l will be quite happy. 

Ya I’ll be ecstatic if we get Wood

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seider had worst stats then Hronek last year.  Seider was a -11 and Hronek was a +9 while with Detroit.  Hronek is also more effective on the PP and has a much better shot.  Seider may be bigger and may be a bit better defensively, but he is in no way in the same class as Dahlin, Makar or Hughes.

Are you really stating you would rather have a 25 year old 6' 188lb guy that has never played a full season in the NHL over a 22 year old, 6' 4" 200Ib kid that has played 2 full 82 game seasons since entering the league ?

Hroneks first few years , - 10, - 38, - 18, - 29 up until this year his first on the plus side + 9  

I dream about a Hugh's - Seider pairing.

That is really the makings of one the best/ balanced top pairings in the NHL, that will only get better with age.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Are you really stating you would rather have a 25 year old 6' 188lb guy that has never played a full season in the NHL over a 22 year old, 6' 4" 200Ib kid that has played 2 full 82 game seasons since entering the league ?

Hroneks first few years , - 10, - 38, - 18, - 29 up until this year his first on the plus side + 9  

That is really the makings of one the best/ balanced top pairings in the NHL, that will only get better with age.

https://public.tableau.com/shared/F8GYNQ4TG?:display_count=n&:origin=viz_share_link&:embed=y

5 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Over 20 views. I always watch a lot of the NTDP. And besides I didn't mention anything about how I rank him. Just that to say it's based on a single tournament is stupid.

Was referring to Hodgson and Schroeder. Chill. However like the former, Perreault is a product of his line mates. His lack of skating and intangibles give me the impression his tools won’t translate. That’s my impression from what I’ve seen from him. 

I didn’t ask where you ranked him. 

4 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

What statement are you trying to make with these stats  ?

From what I can gather, Seider clearly faced the highest quality of competition, and had the second least offensive zone starts ?

Didn't really think I needed to make a statement. Earlier in his career Hronek had to be the guy on defense for a bad team in Detroit, and his +/- suffered. This season he was able to see second-rate matchups behind Seider and had his first positive +/- season. Also, Hronek's defense partner most of the year was the pretty respectable Ben Chiarot... Seider's most common partner for the second half was (career 139 games played) Jake Walman.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Didn't really think I needed to make a statement. Earlier in his career Hronek had to be the guy on defense for a bad team in Detroit, and his +/- suffered. This season he was able to see second-rate matchups behind Seider and had his first positive +/- season. Also, Hronek's defense partner most of the year was the pretty respectable Ben Chiarot... Seider's most common partner for the second half was (career 139 games played) Jake Walman.

So if you had to choose between Seider and Hronek in the trade we made with Detroit, who would you choose ? 

4 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

So if you had to choose between Seider and Hronek in the trade we made with Detroit, who would you choose ? 

... Is this a trick question? Can you imagine what Detroit's asking price for Seider would actually be though?

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Seider has yet to prove anything.  Even Tyler Myers won the Calder.  I'm not saying I'm taking Hronek over Seider, but the stats show that Hronek is currently the superior Dman.  We will see in the next 2-3 years what happens...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seider has yet to prove anything.  Even Tyler Myers won the Calder.  I'm not saying I'm taking Hronek over Seider, but the stats show that Hronek is currently the superior Dman.  We will see in the next 2-3 years what happens...

weird to go back and see the detroit red wings forum

all their fans absolutely slamming hronek calling him a bottom pair d-man, bad defensively etc etc.

they talk about him like we talk about tyler myers

hope theyre proven wrong

3 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

... Is this a trick question?

No, can't seem to work out whether you are pumping up Hroneks tyres and deflating Seiders.

Seems pretty obvious to me who any rational person with any knowledge of hockey would choose. 

So I am guessing to would choose Seider.

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I totally disagree that the stats show Hronek is the superior D- man.

First off when you pay some one what you expect them to do.... work.

Hronek has never played a full season in his career. 

Second Seider had a fantastic first season and while he dipped a little he still scored 42 points while playing against better competition than Hronek, playing all 82 games in both seasons.

94 points in a 164 games as a 22 year old versus 157 in 309 as a 25 year old ?

And we haven't even talked about the defensive side of their games which even at 22 Seider is a better defenceman than Hronek.

He is 22, 6' 3" 200lbs, that big play off body that everyone seems to be raving about since the cup final.

This choice is a no brainer.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I totally disagree that the stats show Hronek is the superior D- man.

First off when you pay some one what you expect them to do.... work.

Hronek has never played a full season in his career. 

Second Seider had a fantastic first season and while he dipped a little he still scored 42 points while playing against better competition than Hronek, playing all 82 games in both seasons.

94 points in a 164 games as a 22 year old versus 157 in 309 as a 25 year old ?

And we haven't even talked about the defensive side of their games which even at 22 Seider is a better defenceman than Hronek.

He is 22, 6' 3" 200lbs, that big play off body that everyone seems to be raving about since the cup final.

This choice is a no brainer.

Why do you keep mentioning Seider's size?  Isn't Hronek bigger than Cale Makar and Adam Fox?  Didn't Colorado win the cup with Cale Makar and Devon Toews as their top pairing?

We don't need our puck carrying Dmen to be 6'4" 210 pounds.  Hughes is also smaller than Hronek.  We can surround our guys with the bigger defensive Dmen, which is exactly what Allvin is going to do and exactly why we bought out OEL.

Again, I am not saying that Hronek is going to be better than Seider, but really, at the end of day we got our guy that we wanted for a couple of draft picks.  Craig Button calls Filip Hronek a top pairing Dman, so it doesn't really matter what Seider does moving forward to be totally honest...

Edited by Elias Pettersson