The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Simashev is super intriguing but could he still be there if we trade down?  

If we stick at 11 I still hope we go C if Reinbacher is off the board as expected.

Pronman at the athletic is super high on Danielson but even then I was surprised to see him ranked 6 for upside:

Hide contents

6. Nate Danielson, C, Brandon-WHL

Danielson checks every box you want in an NHL forward. He skates like an NHL player, he has great stick skills, he can set up and finish plays, he has good size and he wins battles. The pure stats this season don’t blow you away, but his teammates were lacking in quality. From a pure pro projection and in thinking about what he could be, he has all the tools and has shown a history of scoring when with better players. If he hits, you could get a star.

FWIW Simashev was 17 and Willander was 16:

Hide contents

14. Dalibor Dvorsky, C, AIK-Sweden-2

Of the consensus top 10 prospects, Dvorsky’s pure tools may stand out the least. He’s very skilled, has a great shot and works hard, but he’s an average-sized, skating forward whose pure skill/sense are not “off the charts” good. A big appeal of Dvorsky’s game is his long track record of production and consistency at various levels, including often playing against older players.

15. Quentin Musty, LW, Sudbury-OHL

Musty is a player full of talent. His full-season scoring pace in the OHL would have been 100 points and it’s realistic he could have hit it. He has excellent hands, vision and overall offensive creativity. He’s an excellent playmaker, while also being a shot threat and having an NHL frame. Scouts have reasonable concerns about the pace of his game and his ability to give a more consistent effort, but there is legit top-six forward upside in Musty.

16. Tom Willander, RHD, Rogle-Sweden Jr.

It’s easy to watch Willander — especially on his best days, such as at the close of the season — and see a ton of NHL potential. A defenseman who is a top-level skater with good skill and hockey sense and decent size is a set of traits that tends to lead to a lot of NHL success. Whether his offense is for sure going to translate is a minor question up for debate in his projection, but if he hits he could be a very good top-four defenseman.

17. Dmitri Simashev, LHD, Lokomotiv-Russia

While I wouldn’t call anything about Simashev’s game truly dynamic or standout at the NHL level, there is a lot about him that gets high grades. He has NHL skill and mobility, and in a 6-4 frame that is a highly appealing combination of traits. You think of the careers players like Rasmus Ristolainenand Mattias Ekholm have had and I could connect the dots with Simashev as a possible outcome.

18. Axel Sandin Pellikka, RHD, Skelleftea-Sweden

Most evaluators tend to agree that in terms of pure offensive ability, Sandin Pellikka has among, if not the most of any defenseman in this draft. He has excellent skill and hockey sense and is a goal-scoring threat as well. The concern on his ultimate upside is the lack of size primarily and that he’s not a truly elite skater at that size, even though he’s a good skater. He may score, but can he defend in the NHL? If you told me any defenseman was going to end up a top-four type with 40-plus points regularly in this draft, though, I would guess it’s Sandin Pellikka.

This guy is a goof. The recent combine showed ASP was the best athlete there. I think the LOSER Habs take a bustaroo in Reinbacher at 5.  Yzerboy takes asp at 9 because he needs a puck mover after letting us steal his best D in Hronek. We take Shimashev at 11. And he proves to be the best D in the draft. We win! Habs and Detroit lose. Yzerboy gets canned, agsin, for being a puck sucker. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This guy is a goof. The recent combine showed ASP was the best athlete there. I think the LOSER Habs take a bustaroo in Reinbacher at 5.  Yzerboy takes asp at 9 because he needs a puck mover after letting us steal his best D in Hronek. We take Shimashev at 11. And he proves to be the best D in the draft. We win! Habs and Detroit lose. Yzerboy gets canned, agsin, for being a puck sucker. 

I actually think a quality top 6 C is harder to find than a top 4 d-man - especially a lefty. 

All things being even (and I know they aren’t - but I’m also not a scout) I take the C.  That’s what this draft is known for and we’d be wise to lean into it.

Danielson or Dvorsky for me but I’d warm up to Willander or Simashev pretty quick.

• Upvote 1

The other picks.

3rds 75/89 OA

Luca Pinelli C/W this kids a fire hydrant had a better playoffs than any CHL player not named Bedard. He's a guy we want if he hits. It's out of the park. 

Tristian Bertucci LD One of the youngest 2023 prospects has shown incredible promise at both ends total package of size skating IQ ceiling is sky high and his floor is pretty good too. I don't think we can miss with this pick. 

Juraj Pekarcik W Speaking of guys I feel very confident have what it takes If you liked Dvorsky at the u18 you've seen what he can do. I won't beat it to death play making PWFs who can skate like him are so valuable. 

Alexander Rykov W I like pests. He forces mistakes and has enough skill to complement highly skilled players or play a checking role. 

Oskar Asplund LD  I will assume that our scouts have seen him. 

4ths 

RHD Carter Sotheran The man behind the man Luca Cagoni who by all right's (Luca) will be long gone in this range. None the less the 6'3 mobile defensive RD has been the perfect partner for the roving Luca. Sotheran is a great package of size, skating, physicality, offensive and defensive acumen. I have him late 2nd Bob doesn't have him top 100 can we get the steal of the 4th?

LHD Kristian Kostadinski large and in charge shutdown D his cieling is probably 3/4 D but what a fantastic 3/4 D he would be.

C/FWD Zeb Forsfjall Big upside here however I kinda feel like he will be a tweener. Too good for the minors not good enough for the top 6. I don't want to be the guy who bets against him though. 

RHD Mazden Leslie let's get a Giant in the system. RHD with good size and a great shot it's great for the market and for the team.

7th

RD Bogdan Konyushkov 20 yo could probably step onto Abby's top pair right now. 

LD Tyrell Goldsmith because I don't want none of those hands. 

• Cheers 3

@R3aL After Bob McKenzie's final rankings came out and Sale was the big faller, I've been going back and watching every scrap of footage I can find, trying trying to make sense of it. I can definitely see the reservations people have; I and others have expressed concerns about Smith and Carlsson - cheating for offense, lacking urgency or interest off the puck - but Sale takes it to another level. I've considered mitigating circumstances for various situations, such as deferring to veteran teammates, picking his spots rather than trying to win battles against obviously stronger players, and it seemed like a point of strategy for the WJC team that Kulich and Sapovaliv would handle most of the defensive/board play and try to break Sale offensively. But as Hammer puts it, the more you're having to make excuses for a player, the more you're probably asking for trouble.

That said, from what I recall of watching him at his own age level (Hlinkas, both '22 and '23 U18s) he was a one-man show for Czechia, looking dominant despite subpar talent around him. You were always a detractor; I'm just curious what is your recollection of the discrepancies in his game across various levels (pro, U18s, U20s)?

• Huggy Bear 1

Any BCHL Island fans out there.

How does Victoria's Hoyt Stanley skate?  6'3'' 205lb RHD / ''PMD'' projected late third rounder.     

* * Sounds to good to be true, till u see low scoring in BCHL

* * From West Van & his name screams make a movie about him lifting the cup for our Nucks...

* * Disclosure, I have not seen jim play!  

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/535577/hoyt-stanley

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

in 3 days...my wish list

1. Dvorsky

2. Simashev

3. Willander

4. Danielson

I think we’re guaranteed one of those will be on the board and they’ll immediately become our best prospect since Hughes.

Would you be upset if we swerved for, say, Benson or ASP instead? I don’t know enough to get upset about it but I’ll be disappointed if we don’t get a bigger bodied player considering they’ll almost be guaranteed to be on the board. 

I’ve listened to as many mock drafts as possible from teams in the top ten perspective and I’m fairly confident the top 8 will be these players not in order:

Bedard

Smith

Reinbacher

Mitchkov

Leonard 

Carlson

Dvorsky 

Fantilli

9-10 Names you see 

Willander ASP, Moore, Honzek, Wood Danielson 

Benson is usually the odd man out so I’m guessing he’s available . 

There is also a good chance that at 11 4 of the 5 players they took for dinner will be available ensuring that if they trade down to 15 one will be available ( not including Simashev ) 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

44 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I think we’re guaranteed one of those will be on the board and they’ll immediately become our best prospect since Hughes.

Would you be upset if we swerved for, say, Benson or ASP instead? I don’t know enough to get upset about it but I’ll be disappointed if we don’t get a bigger bodied player considering they’ll almost be guaranteed to be on the board. 

I think Benson and ASP could be great players, but who knows? 

Looking at the 2018 Draft, when the Canucks got Hughes at #7.  Adam Boqvist was taken right after at #8, but he sure hasn't turned out like Quinn.

Ty Smith at #17 and Ryan Merkley at #21, must've been the year of the smallish mobile Dman. So, how will ASP turn out? I think what might be in his favour is his skating and IQ. Willander as well.

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I’ve listened to as many mock drafts as possible from teams in the top ten perspective and I’m fairly confident the top 8 will be these players not in order:

Bedard

Smith

Reinbacher

Mitchkov

Leonard 

Carlson

Dvorsky 

Fantilli

9-10 Names you see 

Willander ASP, Moore, Honzek, Wood Danielson 

Benson is usually the odd man out so I’m guessing he’s available . 

There is also a good chance that at 11 4 of the 5 players they took for dinner will be available ensuring that if they trade down to 15 one will be available ( not including Simashev ) 

Bedard

Fantilli

Carlson

Smith

These elite centres go four in a row. Then the Habs will pick who they think is best from a tier of about 10 guys. It could be Michkov. It could be Reinbacher. It could be Barlow. It could be Benson. It could be a guy from a large group. Maybe they love Shimashev, or ASP? The draft breaks off at #5. Worst spot to select this year because the guy chosen there is almost for certain going to be passed in play by several guys selected soon after. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I think you have a far better chance of picking an impact player with a forward selection at 11 than a defender.

I am guessing the Canucks might have a chance at Wood, Moore, Barlow and Benson at 11.   I would be happy with these guys.   I am very concerned about the upside of the defenders.  If I had to choose I would lean towards ASP and hope that he would fit with D Peaty for 8-10 years.

What if both Benson and Michkov somehow drop to 11 because they are small wingers and that Russia thing . Would you take Benson over Michkov as a safer pick [ is he better all around player] or is the separation in skill between them too great ? This is kind of my dream scenario