The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Im out

What a terrible 4th round. Least we got Hunter and Mynio

Why? Just cause Cam Robinson says so? Give it a chance. It's a crapshoot, maybe they see something in the player that most others don't. 

One thing that this management regime has been able to do is evaluate talent.. from this past years NCAA signings, last year's FA signings (Kuzy, Aman, Joshua, Johanssen, etc) to last year's draft even with D-Petey and others 

I'll reserve my jidgement on the 4th round picks until we see how they progress over the years.

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

correct me if I am wrong.

But Mueller as a DY+2 could have simply been offered a contract right?  Same with Perkins if he didn't go in this draft?  they'd have been essentially free players right?

Yes, if no one else drafted them, and if the players chose to sign. Once you sign as an NCAA player, your NCAA career is done. This way they go back to college. 

6 minutes ago, Laheys Liquor said:

Bro, the 4th round is not where you take D+2 and D+1 players that you can easily sign in a couple of days on July 1st. That's what people are upset about. Take players with upside, it's not hard. 

Only thing is signing them takes up a contract spot while drafting them gets you their rights while they develop.

Every year there's interesting college UFA's, maybe your getting someone a year or 2 early that would've otherwise been a hot commodity. 

For example imagine taking Akito Hirose last year, would've been the same hand wringing but look how great he looks now a year later.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I don't have time for second guessing not picking a guy that's been passed over 100 times in a draft. 

Come On Please GIF by NBA

But yet we took Mueller, who has been passed over 554 times before we selected him. Using a pick to get him when he is a UFA come July 1.

• Vintage 1

Don't think any of these 3rd or 4th rounders will see the light of the NHL. Brisebois was a 3rd rounder and I doubt even he or Woo will ever be a consistent NHLer.

Problem is we threw away a 1st and 2nd, that's where the gold is.

There should be some long hard comparisons between ASP and Hronek going forward, not to mention we could have maybe snagged Strbak with the 2nd.

Just now, Warhippy said:

correct me if I am wrong.

But Mueller as a DY+2 could have simply been offered a contract right?  Same with Perkins if he didn't go in this draft?  they'd have been essentially free players right?

Perkins and Mueller picks confuse me too but our pro scouting staff is pretty good so maybe they will show us what's up.

Even though I dont like Cam Allen if we took him and Aram at the end there I woulda dev loved the amount of RHD in the system. A couple of them would probably have hit or at least been valuable trade chips.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We could have had Stanley and Lipinski and let them take their time developing.

Ugh.

Well we have 6'6" winger maybe he will be a physical force?

Imagine we took Willander / Hunter / Stanley and Minnetian

RHD woulda been EXCITING lol

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Laheys Liquor said:

???
These players have been passed on by EVERY TEAM at least once, one of them has been passed on by every team twice. There is little risk or competition to sign these guys in free agency. Lol.

Except that NCAA players won't sign until they are ready to leave school. 

They can't sign and go back for another year. 

2 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

But yet we took Mueller, who has been passed over 554 times before we selected him. Using a pick to get him when he is a UFA come July 1.

Has he said that he's not going back to NCAA? 

If his NCAA career is done, then you're right. 

Pretty sure in the last 8 drafts only a couple of players drafted in the 4th round have over 100 career points.  That is 4 of 240+ player that have made any sort of impact.  THEY ARE ALL WILD CARDS.  

Every guy we picked, and every guy that people wanted to pick have a very small chance of contributing at the NHL level.  

We got two RD in this draft that have top 4 upside, and stocked our prospect pool with C and D.  This is a great draft for us.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Willander, Brz, Mynio - good picks, and the D pool looks better, so I'm pretty pleased

I agree Mynio could be a sneaky pick.

IF they added Stanley and Minnetian too would have been insanely optimistic about our D pipeline all of a sudden. But how well at least we finally added two awesome RHD prospects

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Only thing is signing them takes up a contract spot while drafting them gets you their rights while they develop.

Every year there's interesting college UFA's, maybe your getting someone a year or 2 early that would've otherwise been a hot commodity. 

For example imagine taking Alito Hirose last year, would've been the same hand wringing but looks how great he looks now a year later.

Fair enough - although for me we would have been better suited grabbing over-age D like you mention, as opposed to these light-weight centers we grabbed. Less chance that they become a factor in the NHL with their frame pretty much already filled out.

But what's done is done, and they are Canucks now - so I hope they tear it up for us and prove me wrong.

• Cheers 1