The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Idk. Put me in the skeptical camp.

Big then when I am scouting smaller players is I am looking at the is a low center  of gravity and the other is compete. Michkov has both in spades.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

It would seem that the current state of the Black Hawks franchise is set up perfectly to draft Michkov, if they don't win 1st overall.

They are a long way from contending and can afford to wait out Michkov while they build around their future superstar.

The draft order is taken from Tankathon without running the simulator:

1. CBJ - Bedard

2. SJ - Fantilli

3. Chi - Michkov

4. Ana - Carlsson

5. Arizona - I don't know why, but I feel like they're going to reach and take Reinbacher here if they are not in the top 4 and the aforementioned players are already drafted.  He just seems like a logical choice now that Chychrun is gone.

Edited by TheQuietQuitter
Wouldn't put it past the Coyotes to do that, but there are so many talented wingers available to address a weakness, it would be hard to pass on a Benson, Cristall or Sale.

48 minutes ago, jyu said:

Michkov's weight could be outdated. He will gain weight over time.

And that weight isn't stopping him from putting up crazy numbers in the KHL against men.

Michkov (Draft eligible 2023):

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2021-22 St. Petersburg SKA KHL 13 2 3 5 0 2 -- -- -- -- --
2022-23 St. Petersburg SKA KHL 3 0 0 0 2            
2022-23 Sochi HC KHL 27 9 11 20 20 1        

Malkin (drafted 2004):

Regular Season Playoffs
2003-04 Magnitogorsk Metallurg Russia 34 3 9 12 12   -- -- -- -- --
2004-05 Magnitogorsk Metallurg Russia 52 12 20 32 24   5 0 4 4 0
2005-06 Magnitogorsk Metallurg Russia 46 21 26 47 46   11 5 10 15 41

OV (drafted 2004):

Regular Season Playoffs
2001-02 Moscow Dynamo Russia 21 2 2 4 4            
2002-03 Moscow Dynamo Russia 40 8 7 15 28 1 5 0 0 0 2
2003-04 Moscow Dynamo Russia 53 13 10 23 42   3 0 0 0 2
2004-05 Moscow Dynamo Russia 37 13 14 27 32   10 2 4 6

More room in the KHL. Different ice. 

24 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

More room in the KHL. Different ice. 

Almost all KHL clubs have switched to the NHL-sized rinks.

BTW this will be new hockey arena for SKA St. Petersburg where Mitchkov is going to play next three seasons. 21.5K capacity.

SKA arena.jpg

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

11 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Almost all KHL clubs have switched to the NHL-sized rinks.

BTW this will be new hockey arena for SKA St. Petersburg where Mitchkov is going to play next three seasons. 21.5K capacity.

SKA arena.jpg

Let's just say I'm kinda glad he'll be taken before we draft.

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

25 minutes ago, jyu said:

True, but that applies to every European-trained skater.

Kucherov was also slight. 

Yes I understand that there are many small players that make and impact in today's game. There are even more that fizzle out because they can't overcome size. 

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Yes I understand that there are many small players that make and impact in today's game. There are even more that fizzle out because they can't overcome size. 

Hey, size doesn't matter!:mad:

*****looks at my own 'equipment' and tries to delude myself into believing*****:ph34r:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Small + avg NHL skill, yes. Small with elite skill, they tend to make it as long as they have high work rate. 

They should do their due diligence in case he falls — if there are no red flags regarding off ice related issues, I’d say we should draft him. 

Michkov is such a wild card, heck he could go as high as 2nd overall or the 3 year deal might drop him out of the top-5 (I doubt it though). Teams like CBJ and ANA are pretty good so doubt they want to wait another 3 years, they're just one Bedard or Fantilli away from icing a decent forward group. Chicago is the perfect place for him with their rebuild only just starting, they'll likely bag another few top picks and will line up entering the league all at the same time. San Jose is the same. No idea what Arizona is thinking, whether they want to start a new rebuild or not.

Funny to see Anaheim really catching fire on the road lately and ruining their top pick, they were slated for a top-2 pick and if they keep this up they'll be in the 4-6 spot.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jyu said:

Small + avg NHL skill, yes. Small with elite skill, they tend to make it as long as they have high work rate. 

They should do their due diligence in case he falls — if there are no red flags regarding off ice related issues, I’d say we should draft him. 

We'll see. 

• Cheers 1

Unless Sale shows very well at the U18s I don’t have him just on winger depth head of:

michkov

benson

leonard

barlow

cristall

wood

honzek

but

Musty

etc so many great wingers and I’m just not sold on Sale at all

didn’t look good at 4Nations, wasn’t impressed with world juniors looked like a line passenger 

but if he can convince me otherwise with the u18s let see

5 hours ago, Isam said:

Actually since 2019, alot of teams in the k have been shifting to smaller rinks. 

I believe I read a couple years ago that they were planning to mandate small ice league-wide. Not sure if that's happened yet or not but I'm pretty sure the vast majority do by now.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, R3aL said:

Unless Sale shows very well at the U18s I don’t have him just on winger depth head of:

michkov

benson

leonard

barlow

cristall

wood

honzek

but

Musty

etc so many great wingers and I’m just not sold on Sale at all

didn’t look good at 4Nations, wasn’t impressed with world juniors looked like a line passenger 

but if he can convince me otherwise with the u18s let see

From the scouting reports I've read, a lot of the highly gifted offensive wingers in this draft suffer from an incosistent effort, can be prone to floating, or need to improve their defensive game.  Sale, Cristall, Yager all have a mixture of these weaknesses that can easily be fixed in a more structured NHL system.  Not sure where I would rank Sale, though 

We are moving into Calum Ritchie, Nate Danielson, Barlow, Stramel territory I'm good w that these are the guys who win playoff rounds. 

If Reinbacher is off the board which I believe he will be. One thing I will say that I really like about Axel Pellikka if we go for him is that he is constantly playing the body on D that's not to say he is laying thunderous hits because he isn't but like say Troy Stetcher he steps up on guys at the blue line to put the opposition offside or gives nudges to create enough separation that they can't make a play on the puck in a dangerous spot. I think his defensive game is quite underrated. I'm not convinced he will translate to being a top pairing guy but if he's a mid pairing RHD I think thats a win in the 8-14 pick range.  

So the tank is dead I think thats not the worst thing. It seems pretty unanimous Pete and Hughes don't want to be around for a rebuild so lets keep winning I like how the team is playing right now.

• Cheers 3