The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Line combinations for 2022-23

Rate this topic

Googlie

37 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

miller and petey are playmakers. horvat is not. kuzmenko is a playmaker. i put him with BO. mikheyev is good defensively so put him with petey and boeser. miller loves the pods and would be a good mentor. pearson has worked good with JT. that leaves garland with BO and kuz. my reasoning behind these choices.

I would put Bo with Mikheyev because they play more similar north south games which probably meshes better.  Maybe put Boeser on the wing cause he's more like that as well.  Most of our other forwards are a lot more east west which probably fits a lot better together than splitting the north south guys and put them with east west guys.

Pearson Miller Podkholzin

Garland Pettersson Mikayev

Kuzmenko Horvat Boesser

Lockwood Lazar Dickenson

Hoglander down to the AHL as he needs minutes and is waiver exempt, Dakota Joshua riding pine

Hughes Schenn

OEL Myers

Rathbone Dermott

Burroughs as the extra D, because, well I like the way he plays, hits, and his overall feistiness.  Tenacity....ah, Truculence, that's the word.

Demko

Martin

Lock it in and send it off, as it'll probably show up at some point during the season, till they throw the lines in the blenders because, damn, You can really mix and match with this roster.  I'm hoping we get some solid synergy but I can see people double shifting, combinations of centers and a winger, depending on what we need during each and every game.  This is the kind of lineup you'd have fun with not just on the club, but in NHL23

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

miller and petey are playmakers. horvat is not. kuzmenko is a playmaker. i put him with BO. mikheyev is good defensively so put him with petey and boeser. miller loves the pods and would be a good mentor. pearson has worked good with JT. that leaves garland with BO and kuz. my reasoning behind these choices.

podz is way better fit on pettersson then he is on miller. Podz can drive the net and play with speed and back defenders off giving pettersson space. Mikheyev if anything should be playing with miller he’s the worse defender out of the bunch besides faceoff and his analytical stats would support that mikheyev can cover his deficiency and brain farts with the puck as he’s top 10 in giveaways amongst forward in the league. Kuzmenko would also be a candidate to play with pettersson. Pettersson is not only a playmaker.. he has the most lethal shot in our forward group by a country mile. Having a guy capable of setting him up for goals at the same time he’s setting others for goals is not a bad thing 

At some point, at sometime, during camp or whenever, I’d be fun to deploy a red-line of Podz, Kuz & Micky - all together. I’d like to see it! Even if practicing - 3 vs 3! 

I’m dreamin’ with a large screw loose & it’s likely an impossible ask, but have any of these 3 ever played centre? Mikayev may well be as defensively shifty & fast as any D-man 3 vs 3? Would knowledge of the language used as chatter upon the ice…help or hurt this trio?

Are all of these speculations & musings just a waste my time?

Edited by viking mama

14 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

I would put Bo with Mikheyev because they play more similar north south games which probably meshes better.  Maybe put Boeser on the wing cause he's more like that as well.  Most of our other forwards are a lot more east west which probably fits a lot better together than splitting the north south guys and put them with east west guys.

to me, that then becomes a checking line.  i'm looking for 3 equal scoring lines. bruce will have his own lines.

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I mean yea you take Sutter in a heartbeat if he’s healthy.

I do question how much rust there would be and how much training he’s been able to do after this long off though.

Worth a PTO at the very least to see where he’s at.

it would be great to have him back... have to wonder what the new mgmt group thinks of him? PTO certainly makes sense. 

On 9/5/2022 at 5:03 PM, JM_ said:

I feel like Myers can skate it out OK tho... or am I making that up?

As for Dermott, in his very small sample size here he seemed to be OK at it, at least according to the article. 

Yeah he can it's literally his only play though, and it's got to be set up for him to curl around the net. Most every other time he just coughs it up in a myriad of different ways. Dermott is not bad but if can't suddenly become a #3 pairing puck clearer ... shudder

We'll see simple defence is one thing I believe can be taught. If BB can simply get him to dump the puck out he can be effective. Typically you don't want 6'7 guys with poor mobility over-handling the puck in your own end. Doesn't mean they can't be effective players. It comes down to coaching though.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

it would be great to have him back... have to wonder what the new mgmt group thinks of him? PTO certainly makes sense. 

Won't be before mid-season.  He's still not fully recovered but hopes to resume his career at some point.  

37 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah he can it's literally his only play though, and it's got to be set up for him to curl around the net. Most every other time he just coughs it up in a myriad of different ways. Dermott is not bad but if can't suddenly become a #3 pairing puck clearer ... shudder

it seems like there's some not totally false hope for that.... but I'd really like to add DeHaan for some insurance. Or trade Garland for a LHD tbh. I know we need right shots but we also need better players, so one or the other is fine by me.

37 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

We'll see simple defence is one thing I believe can be taught. If BB can simply get him to dump the puck out he can be effective. Typically you don't want 6'7 guys with poor mobility over-handling the puck in your own end. Doesn't mean they can't be effective players. It comes down to coaching though.

trouble is teams are waiting for him to try to dump it out and capitalize on him. Now he did do well 5 on 5 with OEL so maybe keeping him off the PK is the better idea?

Edited by JM_

14 minutes ago, mll said:

Won't be before mid-season.  He's still not fully recovered but hopes to resume his career at some point.  

thats OK too. Maybe he could even do a short stint in Abby on a minor league deal to get his wheels back. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, JM_ said:

it seems like there's some not totally false hope for that.... but I'd really like to add DeHaan for some insurance. Or trade Garland for a LHD tbh. I know we need right shots but we also need better players, so one or the other is fine by me.

trouble is teams are waiting for him to try to dump it out and capitalize on him. Now he did do well 5 on 5 with OEL so maybe keeping him off the PK is the better idea?

I remember Mason Raymond was the King for me of safe clears. He used to practice 100-500 a day from in his own end, and they were all perfectly weighted to land right at or just past center ice after a nice high chip, so no chance of an over the board penalty. Problem with Myers is he doesn't do it right away, or he's just too slow when he has a chance.

There is a newer direction some hockey teams are pursuing where they try to keep possession at all costs, even in their own end. To me it looks like that's what Myers does. Other teams see this and just capitalize on how slow and poor he is at decision making in tight spaces. I think BB just has to dumb it down and simplify it so the whole team is aware of stakes. Either dump it out or have a safe alternative. He shouldn't be encouraged to skate the puck out of his own end. Imo of course.

I still think we're asking a miracle out of Dermott. He's showed he's a good 6/7 role guy but to jump into a #3 role out of the blue is a big ask imo. I'm 100% onboard with De-Haan, if he can't garner a better contract elsewhere.

• Vintage 1

17 hours ago, smithers joe said:

I like this a lot. Although I believe near the end of the season Podz-Miller-Garland was a line? I really liked it. IMO Pearson shouldn't be in our top 6. 3rd line is perfect.

Podz-Miller-Garland

Mikheyev-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Kuzmenko

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

I like this a lot. Although I believe near the end of the season Podz-Miller-Garland was a line? I really liked it. IMO Pearson shouldn't be in our top 6. 3rd line is perfect.

Podz-Miller-Garland

Mikheyev-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Kuzmenko

Petey and Boeser are horrible together.  

16 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

podz is way better fit on pettersson then he is on miller. Podz can drive the net and play with speed and back defenders off giving pettersson space. Mikheyev if anything should be playing with miller he’s the worse defender out of the bunch besides faceoff and his analytical stats would support that mikheyev can cover his deficiency and brain farts with the puck as he’s top 10 in giveaways amongst forward in the league. Kuzmenko would also be a candidate to play with pettersson. Pettersson is not only a playmaker.. he has the most lethal shot in our forward group by a country mile. Having a guy capable of setting him up for goals at the same time he’s setting others for goals is not a bad thing 

Podz and Petey were so good together last year in the short time they had together.  Im not sure how you don't keep them together and let them grow.  Put Hoglander on the other wing and that is a future legit top line. 

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

There is a newer direction some hockey teams are pursuing where they try to keep possession at all costs, even in their own end. To me it looks like that's what Myers does. Other teams see this and just capitalize on how slow and poor he is at decision making in tight spaces. I think BB just has to dumb it down and simplify it so the whole team is aware of stakes. Either dump it out or have a safe alternative. He shouldn't be encouraged to skate the puck out of his own end. Imo of course.

So... how to accomplish this? I was reading a bit on how Pits uses its zone defence, maybe this is what  they have in mind here? 

https://blueseatblogs.com/2022/05/03/breaking-down-the-penguins-systems/

Myers in Marino's spot in this example? 

31 minutes ago, JM_ said:

So... how to accomplish this? I was reading a bit on how Pits uses its zone defence, maybe this is what  they have in mind here? 

https://blueseatblogs.com/2022/05/03/breaking-down-the-penguins-systems/

Myers in Marino's spot in this example? 

Under Green we were deploying the “collapsing zone setup” which when you aren’t first on the puck or winning puck battles equals a lot of time in your own end.

• Vintage 3

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Under Green we were deploying the “collapsing zone setup” which when you aren’t first on the puck or winning puck battles equals a lot of time in your own end.

it certainly did.

Bruce has got a job on his hands figuring this one out. Or I guess King does?

I can't wait, and I'm reminded every off season how much I miss Canucks hockey and how it drags on before the puck drops.

I think the additions of Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Lazar and Joshua are going to give the Canucks a different look. Faster and grittier, and Kuzmenko is a sharp shooter. Adding Rathbone and Martin is also intriguing, and if Dickinson has a bounce back year, that would be a nice surprise. 

The Top 9 is very good, any way you divide them into 3 lines. I still think Allvin brings in another Dman and maybe makes a trade. If the D gets fixed, the Canucks will contend. 

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I can't wait, and I'm reminded every off season how much I miss Canucks hockey and how it drags on before the puck drops.

I think the additions of Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Lazar and Joshua are going to give the Canucks a different look. Faster and grittier, and Kuzmenko is a sharp shooter. Adding Rathbone and Martin is also intriguing, and if Dickinson has a bounce back year, that would be a nice surprise. 

The Top 9 is very good, any way you divide them into 3 lines. I still think Allvin brings in another Dman and maybe makes a trade. If the D gets fixed, the Canucks will contend. 

I’m so curious how the roster looks right now.

Im of the mind that our D issue is not just our dmen / personnel, but structure and overall team Defence. Our forwards need to be better defensively and I think it’s overlooked.

For lines combos Im really unsure right now. 

looking at one of these four players is going to be left off opening night roster:

Hoglander/Pearson/Lazar/Dickinson/Joshua

Im giving podkolzin credit here but realistically it’s his sophomore year and he could be included in that list.

I think Boudreau could really shuffle things around a lot since he has so many wingers and potential combos.

but im going to try and find the best combos:

COMBO 1:

Pearson-Miller-Boeser

Garland-Petey-Mikehyev

Kuzmenko-Horvat-Podkolzin

Dickinson-Lazar-Hoglander/Joshua (hoglander/Joshua depending on matchup and PK UNITS)

I am curious what a: Mikehyev-Miller-Boeser

line would look like.

whatever combos we do I’d like to each line has a player with defensive awareness and one with speed.

Pearson-Miller-Boeser

Miller has speed

Pearson more defensive to help cover millers mistakes.

Miller did play well with pearson flanking him Last season and if they click in camp again I don’t see them not starting the year together. Also boeser with miller makes the most sense I believe too. I mean miller had a 5 pt night last season playing with what chiasson and pods? Does it even matter who he plays with.. lol

Garland-Petey-Mikehyev

This would be a very fast, very annoying, very strong 2 way line. Even if petey lost draws garland and mikehyev are relentless in their puck pursuit and I think with petey so good at reading plays and stealing pucks this line could not onoy force turnovers but draw lots of penalties and be quite successful offensively at the same time.

Kuzmenko-Horvat-Podkolzin

this line could get softer 5v5 deployments which would help kuzmenko adjust to nhl speed / timing. I think kuzmenko playing style fits best to flank Horvat. 

podz potentially could be the most defensively aware forward on this line but with Horvat winning most draws and softer matchups they could be quite productive 5v5.

Dickinson-Lazar-Hoglander/Joshua

interested to see how the 4th line shakes out. I mean it could potentially be three Centres 

Dickinson-Lazar-Joshua who rotate through draws on strong sides and/or whoever is hot.

On the night.

prbkem with my roster set up is will hoglander actually not crack the top 9? It is possible to start the year. Also how our PK unit personnel ends up being will really determine which forward gets scratched opening night. If Joshua is a stud PK guy in camp he’s pushing someone out. Especially since he’s a guy signed by our new group not the old.

very excited for camp and to see how it all looks.