The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Michael Stone with Flames

I mean, he's older.  Slower.  But stil defensively responsible for an RHD

Don't get why there's genuine options available yet not a single sniff at an RHD that might be available for cheap.

I stand by my original statement.  Since like 2004 the Canucks have only drafted like 7 RHD; never try procuring them and don't seem to trade for them.  They try offhand LHD at the RHD position more often than not.  This makes me believe that at some point in time; an RHD kicked Aqua mans dog while doing the stuff to his wife

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Don't get why there's genuine options available yet not a single sniff at an RHD that might be available for cheap.

I stand by my original statement.  Since like 2004 the Canucks have only drafted like 7 RHD; never try procuring them and don't seem to trade for them.  They try offhand LHD at the RHD position more often than not.  This makes me believe that at some point in time; an RHD kicked Aqua mans dog while doing the stuff to his wife

Defencemen are pretty much at a premium, especially good ones. Canucks should follow the Preds example of drafting heavy on defence. Then trading when we have a surplus. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

This is who I was looking at for a PTO.  You look at OEL's career best season,  he played with Stone.   Yeah,  they're both older now and probably lost half a step or so, but there's literally nothing to lose on  PTO. 

I think it was you that mentioned him in another thread... I'd happily give him under the $1.1m waiver amount, just on the off chance he could rekindle some of that chemistry with OEL.

48 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think it was you that mentioned him in another thread... I'd happily give him under the $1.1m waiver amount, just on the off chance he could rekindle some of that chemistry with OEL.

Yeah,  the 3 PTO's I would've liked to see were Stone, deHaan, and ZAR.  A bit of competition in camp never could hurt. 

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I could be wrong but since the 1999 Sedin draft only 2 RHD that we drafted ever played an NHL game, Kevin Bieksa and Frankie Corrado.  We are probably the worst drafting team for RHD in NHL history.

We did have one good run in the early 80's where we drafted Doug Lidster, Garth Butcher and Michel Petit.  Seems like the GM at that time is the only one in our history who believed you needed RHD on your team...

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

You are right about the lack of drafting for RD, but not sure we need another depth RD at this stage. We already have these:

Myers

Schenn

Dermott

Poolman

Burroughs

Juulsen

Keeper

Johansson

We are lacking a top 4 RD and more depth doesn't necessarily help us.

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

You are right about the lack of drafting for RD, but not sure we need another depth RD at this stage. We already have these:

Myers

Schenn

Dermott

Poolman

Burroughs

Juulsen

Keeper

Johansson

We are lacking a top 4 RD and more depth doesn't necessarily help us.

Dermott is left handed. So not really a RD. Especially given he's pretty meh defensively, and that's putting it mildly. 

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Yeah,  the 3 PTO's I would've liked to see were Stone, deHaan, and ZAR.  A bit of competition in camp never could hurt. 

I love ZAR but we are pretty deep at forward DeHaan and Stralman were tops for me and Rodrigues on the fwd side because C and makes Dickinson expendable. But oh well glad Rodrigues got a shot to go for bank next season. 

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Dermott is left handed. So not really a RD. Especially given he's pretty meh defensively, and that's putting it mildly. 

Yes I am aware he is left handed. He plays both sides though. He played most of his ES ice time in VAN last season as a RD. He may well play the right side more next season if Rathbone sticks on the roster.

Also he might not be amazing defensively but Dermott is better than Michael Stone in almost all aspects of play, both offense and defense.

Stone has only played 32 NHL games in the last 2 seasons, compared to 111 games for Dermott last 2 seasons.

Career average on ice goals for/against per 60 mins at even strength for Dermott...oiGF/60 = 2.7 and oiGA/60 = 2.2. And in VAN last season his stats were even better at ES oiGF/60 = 2.9 and oiGA/60 = 1.8. Those are excellent numbers for a guy that spent 65% of his ES ice time paired with Brad Hunt. It shows he is contributing to scoring and is not giving up many goals at ES.

At ES for Stone his career oiGF/60 = 2.1 and oiGA/60 = 2.4.

Dermott also shows up well shorthanded with career oiGA/60 = 3.4 and by comparison Stone career SH oiGA/60 = 7.6.

Again if Rathbone is on the roster then I think it also might make quite a bit of sense having someone like Dermott playing RD at ES and then slotting into LD on a PK pairing.