The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade Proposal - Van / Bos

Horvat to me has more value then Carlo.  Not sure what the obsession is with these guys.   Just find a good LHD, and move someone over.    Problem solved.  Carlo has size, but doesn't offer any points.   And not sure he's that great of a defender either.     

This undervalues  Horvat.   He's a top 30 centre in this league.   Is Carlo a top 30 D?  Horvat plays on both special teams.    Bruins would have to add, assume this would include a contract in place with Horvat.  Otherwise  maybe this is fair as far as rental goes.   But Horvat will be signed by us.   He'd be a good Bergeron hole filler for Boston.    But we then lose a team strength ourselves.    And well Rathbone could be something, and is likely a wash with Studnika.   Who's done virtually nothing at the AHL level.  

The only way i'd do this deal, is if it's Horvat for Carlo, and they add a couple firsts.   

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

carlo is a pretty good defensemen but bo horvat is the better player.

canucks lose on-ice value. the reason why carlo is worth so much in a trade is he is a right handed defenseman who is on a good contract with lots of term. the reason why bo horvat is worth so much in a trade is because he is a very good centreman. horvat is better just doesnt have a cheap contract to compete with carlo's trade value

even is rathbone/studnika end up being a wash, canucks still lose this trade imo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There have been several reports to say that they'll need to trade a defenceman when McAvoy's back. They have about 5 top-4 guys who can play 20 minutes a night, mostly on LD but you've got to think we can nab Carlo somehow.

No way Bo is getting traded.

Podkolzin has too much value for someone like Carlo - who's a 20-30 point big, physical decent shutdown guy but only playing 18-20 minutes a night. He's a 3-4th guy on Boston, but would be on our top pairing with Hughes (but quality-wise maybe our 3-4th guy after OEL/Myers).

Boeser has too much value for Carlo.

Garland maybe doesn't have quite enough quality unless he can score at a 20-25 goal pace again so we may have to sweeten the deal with a pick or depth defenceman. Rathbone has too much potential but tossing them someone like Burroughs or Poolman isn't the worst idea in the world...

On 10/15/2022 at 1:01 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

There have been several reports to say that they'll need to trade a defenceman when McAvoy's back. They have about 5 top-4 guys who can play 20 minutes a night, mostly on LD but you've got to think we can nab Carlo somehow.

No way Bo is getting traded.

Podkolzin has too much value for someone like Carlo - who's a 20-30 point big, physical decent shutdown guy but only playing 18-20 minutes a night. He's a 3-4th guy on Boston, but would be on our top pairing with Hughes (but quality-wise maybe our 3-4th guy after OEL/Myers).

Boeser has too much value for Carlo.

Garland maybe doesn't have quite enough quality unless he can score at a 20-25 goal pace again so we may have to sweeten the deal with a pick or depth defenceman. Rathbone has too much potential but tossing them someone like Burroughs or Poolman isn't the worst idea in the world...

I would do Boeser for Carlo any day of the week, but I don’t think Boston does it.

• There it is 1

Bostons biggest need going forward will be top 6 centres with Bergeron and Krejci almost done. Top 4 rhd are hard to get so they won’t trade Carlo for a winger. Also as stated above, no to trading Bo. Have to be a 3way including Mtl or Arizona?

Van Carlo

Bos Dvorak

Mtl ?

Van Carlo

Bos Schmaltz

Ari ?

Cant see them trading Carlo anyway. Mcavoy is injured. Trade one and the other gets injured, what does that leave them. They’ll trade a lhd and sign maybe Domi+ in the offseason. 

On 9/14/2022 at 11:35 PM, kenhodgejr said:

To Boston - Bo Horvat, Jack Rathbone 

To Vancouver - Brandon Carlo, Jack Studnika 

Garland Miller Boeser 

Kuzmenko Pettersson Podkolzin 

Hoglander Studnika Mihkeyev (fast energy line) 

Pearson Lazar Chiasson 

OEL Carlo

Hughes Schenn

Poolman Myers 

.I think Horvat for Carlo could be fair but with 3 concussions already, Carlo might be the next Ferland/Poolman

image.thumb.png.aed4050fd699cbf57d1bbffc57104eb7.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just circling back to this proposal due to the news today. I have to say Im thrilled about the trade for Jack Studnika. I was huge on this prospect which is a big reason why I packaged him with a Horvat proposal. He is one of the fastest skaters in the AHL and he's a right shot C with size. I dont feel like we lost much in getting him.

• Cheers 2