The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Poolman is a “slow thinker”.  He has stone hands too.  Very bad combination.  He can skate fine, but (due to his lack of processing and poor puck skills) he plays a VERY SLOW game.  

If we don't pickup a top-4 guy (like Conor Murphy), I think Poolman plays his way out of the lineup soon.

Burroughs is a MUCH more useful RHD. Dermott is much more skilled with the puck. Rathbone doesnt help us defensively but he can help us offensively. Schenn is slow but smart, and thinks faster than poolman. 

All of these guys help us more than Poolman. 

I still want to see Dermott given a couple of games in the top-4. Also OEL on the right side, instead of Hughes. 

Seen enough of Poolman. 

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Poolman played his first games in months, I think we can let him play a few pre season games and get back to game shape. Jesus christ. :huh:

Not his play this year that bothers me, its last year, and how he played in Winnipeg. He was a negative on both rosters - eye test and statistically. 

"Yes eeergh but he was paired with Morrissey who was an offensive defenseman"

Great, what is he here then?

Guy is fine as a sheltered third pairing defenseman who basically stays out of the way. Anything more and he makes us worse. 

6 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Not his play this year that bothers me, its last year, and how he played in Winnipeg. He was a negative on both rosters - eye test and statistically. 

"Yes eeergh but he was paired with Morrissey who was an offensive defenseman"

Great, what is he here then?

Guy is fine as a sheltered third pairing defenseman who basically stays out of the way. Anything more and he makes us worse. 

Not at all true and his play in the playoffs with Winnipeg completely refutes that both statistically and in the eye test. He’s just the whipping boy because of the 4 year deal, the pay isn’t even an overpayment. The hate the dude gets here is beyond stupid. 

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Hughes is now gonna play with Poolman.  I kinda figured this would happen.  Hughes misplayed a few easy passes last night because he was trying to take them on his backhand not forehand.  He also got turned around in a corner and got hit because of it.  I think our star Dman needs to play the left side so we can maximize his talents.

That's what I was talking about the other day. Of him getting exposed to awkward hits learning the switch mid game. I took a lot of flak for it lol. This pro level is too unforgiving physically.  Just keep it the same and go steady. We'll get a RHD. Let's not be desperate.  Keep our franchise player safe.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Huggy Bear 3

28 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not at all true and his play in the playoffs with Winnipeg completely refutes that both statistically and in the eye test. He’s just the whipping boy because of the 4 year deal, the pay isn’t even an overpayment. The hate the dude gets here is beyond stupid. 

A few good games does not rule out his atrocious play over the rest of the year(s). 

He was among the absolute worst in the league in expected goals against, and high danger scoring chances against. A REAL shutdown defenseman (e.g. Tanev) is near the best in the league in those categories. Given that he was brought in as a "budget tanev" you would expect him to at least be middling. 

I'm saying that one could argue that his bad defensive stats are due to being played alongside offensive minded players (e.g. Morrissey) but thats literally what he was brought in to do - cover for an offensive minded partner. If he cant even do that well (he couldn't in Winnipeg) and failed here (he likes to jump up and play like Hughes - he and hughes together allowed way more high danger chances against than they got FOR) then what good is he in our lineup. 

He's a third pairing defenseman who needs to play against weak opponents to be serviceable. 

Just now, eeeeergh said:

A few good games does not rule out his atrocious play over the rest of the year(s). 

He was among the absolute worst in the league in expected goals against, and high danger scoring chances against. A REAL shutdown defenseman (e.g. Tanev) is near the best in the league in those categories. Given that he was brought in as a "budget tanev" you would expect him to at least be middling. 

I'm saying that one could argue that his bad defensive stats are due to being played alongside offensive minded players (e.g. Morrissey) but thats literally what he was brought in to do - cover for an offensive minded partner. If he cant even do that well (he couldn't in Winnipeg) and failed here (he likes to jump up and play like Hughes - he and hughes together allowed way more high danger chances against than they got FOR) then what good is he in our lineup. 

He's a third pairing defenseman who needs to play against weak opponents to be serviceable. 

Who said he’s a shutdown dman? He’s a bottom pair dman that can play adequately in the top 4 when needed. And paid as such. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

That's what I was talking about the other day. Of him getting exposed to awkward hits learning the switch mid game. I took a lot of flak for it lol. This pro level is too unforgiving physically.  Just keep it the same and go steady. We'll get a RHD. Let's not be desperate.  Keep our franchise player safe.

Management was smart in waiting to see what they've got in Kuzmenko. If it becomes clear that Hoglander deserves a roster spot too, I think it becomes much easier to part with a high value forward to bring in a RHD.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Who said he’s a shutdown dman? He’s a bottom pair dman that can play adequately in the top 4 when needed. And paid as such. 

These things are contradictory - hes either a bottom pairing defenseman or he can play in the top-4. He's not both. 

He was a disaster in the top-4 with Morrissey, and there's a reason he didn't stick with Hughes last year either. 

As for who said he was a shutdown defenseman.. that's literally his selling proposition. Benning brought him in to replace Tanev. It's accepted he's a black hole offensively, so if he's not a shutdown guy, what is he? 

10 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Management was smart in waiting to see what they've got in Kuzmenko. If it becomes clear that Hoglander deserves a roster spot too, I think it becomes much easier to part with a high value forward to bring in a RHD.

Even a solid middling rhd like Mayfield we'd be in a better position.  I think a bigger asset might become available by the TDL.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

7 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

These things are contradictory - hes either a bottom pairing defenseman or he can play in the top-4. He's not both. 

He was a disaster in the top-4 with Morrissey, and there's a reason he didn't stick with Hughes last year either. 

As for who said he was a shutdown defenseman.. that's literally his selling proposition. Benning brought him in to replace Tanev. It's accepted he's a black hole offensively, so if he's not a shutdown guy, what is he? 

He's more of a defensive defenseman than a pure shut down defenseman. 

His last playoffs with Wpg his value was rising as he gained a lot more minutes by the end of that run. 2.5M doesn't make him LE bad. Besides we have other options we haven't tried yet.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Even a solid middling rhd like Mayfield we'd be I a better position.  I think a bigger asset might become available by the TDL.

would be nice, just dont like the premium one has to pay at the TDL. 

Still hoping for a waiver wire miracle too. 

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He's more of a defensive defenseman than a pure shut down defenseman. 

His last playoffs with Wpg his value was rising as he gained a lot more minutes by the end of that run. 2.5M doesn't make him LE bad.

Idk even if we call him a "defensive defenseman" vs a "shutdown defenseman" the point is still the same - hes supposed to be able to help offset the defensive limitations of an offensive minded partner, but numbers + eye test proved he cant do that.

He IS good at one thing - penalty killing + shot blocking + clearing pucks. So that's good. But as for being Hughes' partner.. we already know how that's going to go based on what he did in his audition with Hughes last year + how he still couldn't carry Morrissey. 

If he wasnt such an offensive black hole some of that might even be forgiveable. 

9 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Bottom pair that CAN slot in the top 4. Never said he is definitively both therefore not contradictory at all. 

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Bottom pair that CAN slot in the top 4. Never said he is definitively both therefore not contradictory at all. 

Okay but Burroughs could slot into the top 4 as well, doesn't mean he's any good there.

Poolman isn't useful there either. He was tried out there by Vancouver because we didn't have a better option (ended up being outplayed by Schenn), and was put there in Winnipeg because again, no better option. Results were still the same - more high danger chances against than for, when playing in the top-4 with an offensive minded partner. 

Bottom pair, 13-14 mins/night, against weaker opponents. Wont hurt us there. Or better yet, on someone elses team.

Edited by eeeeergh

4 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Okay but Burroughs could slot into the top 4 as well, doesn't mean he's any good there.

Poolman isn't useful there either. He was tried out there by Vancouver because we didn't have a better option (ended up being outplayed by Schenn), and was put there in Winnipeg because again, no better option. Results were still the same - more high danger chances against than for, when playing in the top-4 with an offensive minded partner. 

Bottom pair, 13-14 mins/night, against weaker opponents. Wont hurt us there. Or better yet, on someone elses team.

In Winnipeg he proved he could he had the 3rd most minutes on the team and was fine and that was in the playoffs as well. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Agreed 100%. Hughes says he’s played the right side before but at lower levels. The NHL is a whole different level. The speed is much much faster and the opposition’s player will be in the corner before Hughes can even turn around. 

Sure there are guys that play their off side, but most are bigger more defensive Dmen. Leave our star player where he plays best. Same with Petey. He’s a centre. Leave him there. These two are our future.

• Cheers 1