The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Rachel Doerrie

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

7 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I love this thread; its always full of fun.

If they had had social media when I was 25, I probably wouldn't have survived.

Every day was just that, a new day; there were no pictures or video of what you were like last night.

Then again, the so-called cancel culture wouldn't have existed either. I just feel like attitudes would've been different back then.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Then again, the so-called cancel culture wouldn't have existed either. I just feel like attitudes would've been different back then.

Well, I can't really speak for anyone else, but to my recall there was a hell of a lot less 'attitude' "back then".

Generalizations suck, but people didn't get a hate on for anybody for almost anything; unless it was a pretty good reason, or something to do with your girlfriend, but I digress.

There was a lot more patience and virtually no blatant entitlement; mind you this was here in BC not in like Memphis where there is deep racist entitlement etc.

People had jobs, if they could keep them, and partied on the weekends, liquor stores were closed on Sundays as were bars.

So people got back to work Monday and settled into their 20s.

Then everybody did their own thing.

Then mobile smartphones.

The end.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

18 minutes ago, awalk said:

Wow there it all is. So she's alleging it was her relationship with Castonguay that soured and Castonguay was jealous or upset about her her promotion...

Alf doesn’t understand.  So the lady that was fired is now saying she was treated badly by one of the other ladies we recently hired?  Dory was being attracted by Castonguay?  

One side of the lawsuit.

The tough part for the Canucks will be having to explain why Rachel was the only one sacked for talking to the media.

Also discipline -in a union setting anyway, is to be progressive.

This seems like a one strike your gone event.

Edited by Gurn

I can't imagine Castonguay would have the ability to unilaterally fire Doerrie even if Doerrie was reporting to her. Assuming Doerrie's allegations are true, how did Castonguay go about persuading Rutherford, Allvin, and possibly Aqua to fire her? 

Should the Canucks versions of events be made public, they'll make for an interesting read.

5 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I can't imagine Castonguay would have the ability to unilaterally fire Doerrie even if Doerrie was reporting to her. Assuming Doerrie's allegations are true, how did Castonguay go about persuading Rutherford, Allvin, and possibly Aqua to fire her? 

Should the Canucks versions of events be made public, they'll make for an interesting read.

According to the statement, Allvin fired Doerrie based solely on the info he had received for Castonguay after Doerrie went to HR to complain about how she was treated by Castonguay.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Cheers 1

Oh man.  As an aside, I always assume those super snarky Twitter personalities have terrible mental health and yeah, there it is.  I do feel bad for her - that sounds very difficult with the heart condition and nobody wants one of their bosses to be giving them the cold shoulder.  

But it’s professional sports - it’s built on competitive edge, toughness and grit.  Castonguay being a bag to her isn’t a human rights violation.  

Also pretty clear Rutherford is working hard to keep media leaks in check.  Nothing wrong with that. She wasn’t immediately fired for it - they just tried to slap her hand and it spiralled. Mental health doesn’t give you a blank cheque to not be sent to the principal’s office. 

Maybe she has a case because they’re dismissing her because of her mental illness?  But they hired her.  Gave her a chance.  Promoted her.  But she really seemed to perseverate on how Emile didn’t congratulate her on the promotion. I get why they made the cold decision to just cut ties even if the best course would have probably to give her some time / space to heal up and try again.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Gurn said:

One side of the lawsuit.

The tough part for the Canucks will be having to explain why Rachel was the only one sacked for talking to the media.

Also discipline -in a union setting anyway, is to be progressive.

This seems like a one strike your gone event.

Where does it say an employer needs to give a warning?  If one of employees pulled anything that hurt the team or company i have every right to fire them.

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Oh man.  As an aside, I always assume those super snarky Twitter personalities have terrible mental health and yeah, there it is.  I do feel bad for her - that sounds very difficult with the heart condition and nobody wants one of their bosses to be giving them the cold shoulder.  

But it’s professional sports - it’s built on competitive edge, toughness and grit.  Castonguay being a bag to her isn’t a human rights violation.  

Also pretty clear Rutherford is working hard to keep media leaks in check.  Nothing wrong with that. She wasn’t immediately fired for it - they just tried to slap her hand and it spiralled. Mental health doesn’t give you a blank cheque to not be sent to the principal’s office. 

Maybe she has a case because they’re dismissing her because of her mental illness?  But they hired her.  Gave her a chance.  Promoted her.  But she really seemed to perseverate on how Emile didn’t congratulate her on the promotion. I get why they made the cold decision to just cut ties even if the best course would have probably to give her some time / space to heal up and try again.

The contention is that, as stated in the claim, male colleagues were free to speak with the media and she was the only one disciplined for it.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

You know it's really strange because she had supposedly claimed to leave the NJD organization on the basis of mental health, and now she is back to using this very reasoning for why she is fired.

If she's actually genuine about this reason, maybe she should rest until she is ready again. I just don't know if she's using this claim whenever it suits her purposes. I just find that very vile, if that's in fact that case. I don't know her, but I've read/heard very unflattering things about what she has said about players/people. She's been described as having very 'raw' social skills, which is not a fault on its own, but when working with others, this can cause a lot of miscommunication/misunderstanding.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Canadian said:

Her lawyers probably were like "wtf you doing?!"

I think she’s being very honest about being in a mental health crisis right now.  And fair enough.  None of this is going to help her career at all.  On that level I definitely feel bad for her. She’s making some public / social media moves she probably doesn’t do if she’s feeling solid. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Going to be very interesting to see how this plays out and see what can be proved in court. That's the only part that really matters. Going to enjoy snacking on popcorn and watching the finger pointing and blame game back and forth.

Also, I really hope she gets the help she needs with her mental health issues. They are terrible and not something to be made light of. I've seen the terrible havoc they can wreak first hand and wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Edited by 204CanucksFan

2 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

The contention is that, as stated in the claim, male colleagues were free to speak with the media and she was the only one disciplined for it.

I really just think that her worst enemy is really herself.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1