The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pre-Season [GDT/PGT] Seattle Kraken @ Vancouver Canucks/ Thursday, Sept. 29/22 / 6:30pm KONG, NHLN,SN1, SNP, 650AM at Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

32 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

That's not the only thing Pearson has done, he's overated here, sure he's produced getting top six mins but he's being replaced with younger more talented players. time to stop the man crush and move on. Rather trade Garland? Or Boeser? No,  Pearson is easily replaced. 

Pearson is a very good complimentary player. Hes pretty solid in all 3 zones, nothing flashy, but is good along the boards and down low and manages to get open quite often. He’s a 200ft player. He’s kinda like a swiss army knife, you can put him in almost any role and he’s fairly solid. The kinda guy you need deeper down the lineup in playoffs

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Do people think we are going to go 7-0 in the pre season, 82-0 and then 16-0 to win the cup?

Get the losses out of the way now. I see lots of positives. We will be miles better than last year. And will most likely be a wild card team but very well could be top 3 in the div.

A lot of people seem to say this every year. I have seen zero evidence of that so far. This team has a lot of work to do to be a top 3 team in the division.

Petey looks great and Kuzmenko has shown some real nice play. Power play had some decent movement. Other than that its pretty uninspiring so far. That 5 game road trip to start the season will tell us a lot.

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

A lot of people seem to say this every year. I have seen zero evidence of that so far. This team has a lot of work to do to be a top 3 team in the division.

Petey looks great and Kuzmenko has shown some real nice play. Power play had some decent movement. Other than that its pretty uninspiring so far. That 5 game road trip to start the season will tell us a lot.

Pre season is really hard to Guage. 

I remember during the Oilers run of 1st overall picks they had numerous pre seasons where they won most or all of their games.

Its difficult to know if the vets are even trying.... for example. Miller was invisible yesterday, I dont recall many games if any that Miller was a non factor. If he's not putting up points he's breaking his sticks and screaming f bombs.

On paper we are better and a full season of Bruce....

We will be better 

Edited by BlakeQuinnAndEggs

20 minutes ago, combover said:

I was expecting a more dominate performance from miller he was a non factor most of the game. 
 Pearson was pretty bad 

Poor effort even for the preseason. 

But 
EP demko Kuz didn’t disappoint. 

I also liked  Lockwood Joshua Burroughs 

rathbone made some great plays

aman karlson were noticeable for good reasons 

tbh I don't think Lockwood has done nearly enough to earn a spot. Who's job would he take? I can't see him replacing anyone in the F group. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Jose Christo, its been two split squad games and one game where we would have won with Demko in net for the whole thing.

I am concerned about out two bottom pairing d groups, that one isn't close to being decided yet and there aren't a lot of exciting options there.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

As AHL and Junior the Krackheads lineup was last night they still beat us.  So what are we? 

We are only as good as Demko plays.  Change my mind. 

A couple things, Alf.

The vets use pre-season to get warmed up for the real deal. Injuries are already showing up, they're not going full throttle just yet because they don't have to really prove themselves until the games count.

The first half of the game they looked great....really attacking and Seattle had a hard time keeping up. They were trying to pull the Canucks off their game with some physicality and I was happy that guys stepped up. 

They ran out of gas and that comes with early in the year stuff...was a fast pace and they petered out. 

We'll be fine.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

We should?  They looked completely uninterested on the second half of the game.  

What you call "uninterested" some others see as running out of gas because they were absolutely flying out of the gate. They over exerted in the first half of the game when the Kraken looked slow and "uninterested" and that levelled out toward the end of the game. 

It's been three games 

6 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Yah, around there maybe. Maybe the cap rises next year? LOL. He looked like he's score plenty. Now we'll have to see how he's going to react to ugly hits and dirty plays

designed to irritate him. Nice to know he chose Van. over others though. 

I can't wait to see the whole team together honestly

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

What you call "uninterested" some others see as running out of gas because they were absolutely flying out of the gate. They over exerted in the first half of the game when the Kraken looked slow and "uninterested" and that levelled out toward the end of the game. 

I dont think its “uninterest” or “running out of gas”

its preservation, not going 110% in the pre-season and risking injury. Its a long season ahead and they are experienced in how to manage their bodies in order to play as close to a full 82 as possible, without risking unnecessary injury. Its only pre-season and there are no points in the line

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I dont think its “uninterest” or “running out of gas”

its preservation, not going 110% in the pre-season and risking injury. Its a long season ahead and they are experienced in how to manage their bodies in order to play as close to a full 82 as possible, without risking unnecessary injury. Its only pre-season and there are no points in the line

So why didn't the Flames and Kraken practice the same thing?

You don't honestly believe they "decided" to just stop playing hard in order to save themselves for the reg season do you?  If that's a coaching strategy, I'll eat my hat.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

You don't honestly believe they "decided" to just stop playing hard in order to save themselves for the reg season do you?  If that's a coaching strategy, I'll eat my hat.

because they iced more AHL guys trying to showcase themselves. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, J-23 said:

Rathbone does not look ready.

10 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

No need to rush Rathbone now.. Maybe he still needs about 1/4 of a season down in Abby work on a more complete defensive game. He was trying too hard too show that he can dangle with the puck.

Not completely sold on Rathbone either. He's a liability defensively but he made a few great stretch passes through the neutral zone that could help spark offence from our 3rd/4th line. Those types of passes definitely aren't coming from Poolman/Dekeyser.

I think it really just depends on the identity Bruce wants for the team. If we're going to play more run and gun Rathbone will stay.

48 minutes ago, Muttley said:

This is a huge year for Rathbone. All the talent you could ask for but he does find himself out of position at times. I think he's penciled in but if thing go off the cliff,

He'll be back on the farm. Always thought he has more then enough talent but it aint gonna do him any good. alternating with someone else in the press box. 

Rathbone will need to be in the top 6 to stick I think. Otherwise it would be best to sign Dekeyser to a one year deal and keep him on the big club and send Rathbone to Abby. Burroughs would  probably get claimed on waivers so logically if we send Rathbone down we could keep all of our defencemen without losing anyone on waivers. 

Dekeyser helps our penalty kill and is a big body. With Dermott already injured and Poolman still not 100% conditioning wise Rathbone will get lots of chances for call ups this year. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Not completely sold on Rathbone either. He's a liability defensively but he made a few great stretch passes through the neutral zone that could help spark offence from our 3rd/4th line. Those types of passes definitely aren't coming from Poolman/Dekeyser.

I think it really just depends on the identity Bruce wants for the team. If we're going to play more run and gun Rathbone will stay.

Yaaa.. gonna be tough for Bruce to make his final cuts... Rathbone sure is a flashy offensive D-man but if he can't nail down his #1 priority which is the basic defensive work, then it's gonna hurt us more long term... but we are so lack of skilled D-men right now... Dermott and Burroughs are pretty solid but they won't offer much outside their own zone... 

I'm more interested in seeing more out of DeKeyser and Poolman in the next few preseason games for sure! 

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Lets think logically for a second… You have a guaranteed roster spot… its pre-season and you feel the need to go 110% to block a shot, be first in the corner, take a hit to make a play, or whatever it is….. you get injured on the play and miss 10 games.

Who do you think is going to be pleased with your pre-season effort? when you arent even trying out for the team, you’ve already got a spot.

The fans might be pleased that you gave 110%, but they’ll be devestated when you miss 10 valuable games in the regular season. The coach will be pissed because his opening night roster just shrank and his job to make playoffs got tougher, the GM wont be pleased because now he has to find a solution for 10 games. The owner will certainly not be happy because if they dont make playoffs because you missed 10 valuable games in the beginning, he just lost a ton of playoff revenue for a meaningless game.

if they are trying to win pre-season games, why take Demko out? Makes no sense right?

edit: Taking Demko out after 2, reduces chance of injury and allows him to slowly get into game speed so that when the regular season begins, his body and reaction timing are up to speed

Edited by AnthonyG

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

Lets think logically for a second… You have a guaranteed roster spot… its pre-season and you feel the need to go 110% to block a shot, be first in the corner, take a hit to make a play, or whatever it is….. you get injured on the play and miss 10 games.

Who do you think is going to be pleased with your pre-season effort? when you arent even trying out for the team, you’ve already got a spot.

The fans might be pleased that you gave 110%, but they’ll be devestated when you miss 10 valuable games in the regular season. The coach will be pissed because his opening night roster just shrank and his job to make playoffs got tougher, the GM wont be pleased because now he has to find a solution for 10 games. The owner will certainly not be happy because if they dont make playoffs because you missed 10 valuable games in the beginning, he just lost a ton of playoff revenue for a meaningless game.

if they are trying to win pre-season games, why take Demko out? Makes no sense right?

So you think they went into the first intermission and said "all right boys, that's probably good enough"?  And you call that thinking logically?

Again, why don't other teams do that?  Why didn't the Flames, a cup contender, do the same thing?

• Haha 1