The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jason Dickinson, 2024 2nd-round pick to Blackhawks for Riley Stillman

12 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I think Dickinson just didn’t want to be here tbh, which sucks because I was really excited when we acquired him after his playoff performance. He went from a pesky, gritty 3rd line shutdown guy in Dallas to a floater who rarely got involved physically here in Vancouver.  Now maybe TG ruined his confidence but from his interviews and his body language, it felt like he wasn’t fully invested in the team.

Riley Stillman sounds like your stereotypical physical bottom pairing Dman whose physical and loves to throw big hits, which I like. I think he will be a fan fav if he plays as advertised.

Why is that?  

Dickie clearly cared because he gave out a few interviews where he admitted that he felt bad about how nothing was going his way.  But why did his physical play go away once he got to Vancouver?  

Why is it that OEL and Garland came to the Canucks and instantly looked 10 times more aggressive then anyone else on our team?  

Is it the 20 year hangover from the Bertuzzi incident that led to Sundin/Naslund/Sedins passing their "beat them on the power play" ways down the line?  

I would normally hate this trade because I would've rather ridden out the remainder of Dickie's contract, but the fact that we got Stillman has me intrigued.  I'm willing to give him a chance and he should get plenty of ice time with our injuries. 

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Rat players will always be rat players no matter who is in the opposing team's lineup.

Look at the following (I mean, Lucic was even on the ice at the time!):

And how did Cooke enjoy this:

Plus PIT cut him after he kept his stupid antics up.  Cooke caused the league to change the rules (again).  Then severed EKs achilles' tendon on a foot stomp.   Even the Rat's and pests had some sort of empathy before him not a good example.   Cooke has a screw loose.   Guess what happened as soon as enforcers left the league?   Crosby's entire career was in doubt.   From all the head shots.   And then players slashing each other's hands, became such an epidemic (a major code infraction) that the league had to step in and deal with it not just with GMs but on a team by team basis, threatening major suspensions if they kept it up  (ironically it was Crosby almost cutting Methots finger off that added fuel to that fire, but can't blame him for making his own space - nobody else was helping).   

The instigator rule is long gone.   But having actual policeman on the ice ... that's a different story.  And sorry Lucic is a big bully.  He rarely fought the toughest back then, and once (pretty sure it was Orr) when he did he was losing and cried for the refs, when he'd never let up while pounding away at lesser smaller fighters up until then and probably felt he was invincible.   Probert or McSorely or 300 other guys before them never cried for the refs....I have very little respect for Lucic 

I'd love to go 3 rounds with him.   His quality of competition was meh.   Meh meh meh.   At least guys like Shanny, Roberts, Tochett, Wendel Clark, Nealy were willing to leave their comfort zone.    Not at all surprised Lucic was on the ice.  Guys a bully.   And overrated as a fighter too.  Prout lol.   He's ok i guess.  Could barely handle him. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

This trade along with the Marino + ramonov deals should give people enough of an example as to what the market looks like to move money and aquire younger, Decent dmen. ( Not trying to lump stillman in with those two, So don't even try to come at me for that hahaha ) 

We cannot afford to make the big moves to upgrade the d without taking a MAJOR hit in other areas. Ayyeee now we don't need to dig into LTIR! 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, GB5 said:

To me it feels like the management group are getting an F in Canuck's history because they are doing a lot of the same things that were done by previous regimes. They say one thing and do another.

The only difference being that there are more people involved in the decisions now.

Management has no use for Canucks History; they are doing their own thing, one of which is restructuring (like moving a bad forward out and bringing a gritty and legit NHL defenceman in). 

They are not wasting every new penny of cap space right away but gradually freeing themselves from past burdens while improving the team. 

They are under no obligation to please every fan with direct correlations between press conferences and detailed and complicated decisions on improving the team.

To hell with the past, what past mngt did, what new mngt said 5 months ago, etc. 

This deal is perfect: we get a needed defenseman who is tough and stands up for his mates. 

We got rid of a cap drag forward who could no longer perform properly. 

Yeah, we paid a 2024 2nd, but we also got cap room and better overall team structure.

I appreciate new mngt's commitment to the players that were here giving it their all under BB and not wasting the great momentum that created.

I appreciate that there are lots of qualified people doing their best to come up with the best decisions moving forward.

• There it is 2

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

This trade along with the Marino + ramonov deals should give people enough of an example as to what the market looks like to move money and aquire younger, Decent dmen. ( Not trying to lump stillman in with those two, So don't even try to come at me for that hahaha ) 

We cannot afford to make the big moves to upgrade the d without taking a MAJOR hit in other areas. Ayyeee now we don't need to dig into LTIR! 

I could be wrong here, but I think we are firmly in the LTIR...  

are we going with a 21 man roster to get out of LTIR?  

Very interesting to see what Management had planned for that extra cap space.  

I don’t know the details but maybe once all the ltir stuff is settled to start the season we’ll see another move?

Also, it’s still infinitely funny to see JR/PA basically keep pushing forward like Benning never left.  I just hope they do a better job with the pro scouting end of things.

With Kuzmenko looking like the real deal, Petey looking elite and OEL/Garland settled in we’re looking like a pretty strong team.  

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I could be wrong here, but I think we are firmly in the LTIR...  

are we going with a 21 man roster to get out of LTIR?  

Well 700k over is just one guy on waivers, I don't see how we would need to dig into it. I'm a cap peasant ( not a wizard like IMM ) so I'm just hopeful this is the case I guess lmfao

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Screw said:

So how about Stillman?  Think he can stick in the top 6?

I've also been wondering.  3rd pair, tough, defensive dman is what I can grasp so far.  He's only 24 so is still very young for a Dman.  Wondering how's his skating/pivots, first pass, defensive positioning/boxing out, does he have top 4 potential or has he already hit his peak at 24?

Looking at his stats, he played 52 games last season for 2G, 10A, 12Pts +/- -8.  First "full" season in the NHL as he played 24 and 34 games the previous 2 seasons respectively in the Show.

Found this article from 2021 that had him at #12 for the Blackhawks 25 players under 25.

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2021/9/7/22660989/2021-chicago-blackhawks-prospect-rankings-top-25-under-25-riley-stillman-12-analysis-outlook

Notably, he was second for hits per 60 behind only Zadorov and was second for shots per 60 as well.  This is from a small sample size and not sure about the analytics for his 21-22 season.  From draft scouting reports he's projected as a defensive 3rd pair dman (which he already is it seems). 

An article from the Panthers

https://www.litterboxcats.com/2020/7/8/21317094/riley-stillman-florida-panthers-prospect-profile-2016-nhl-draft-springfield-thunderbirds-oshawa

Notably was a good 2 way player in juniour/AHL and seems to be on a good trajectory to be a mainstay on the big club.  I think the only real questions are, passing the eye test of course and what his ceiling is.  Seems he's hit his draft ceiling already at 24, could he develop as a top 4 peice for us moving forward?  That would be well worth the 2nd while dumping Dickenson.  Excited to have a new young player on the backend with toughness to boot!  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Man, I hope this isn't a foreshadowing of Stillman knocking Burroughs off the top 6. 

Not immediately perhaps, with Dermott and Myers out. They'll probably both play for now. Gives both time to have to prove they should take up that spot more regularly.

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Man, I hope this isn't a foreshadowing of Stillman knocking Burroughs off the top 6. 

Not immediately perhaps, with Dermott and Myers out. They'll probably both play for now. Gives both time to have to prove they should take up that spot more regularly.

No, it means LD1,2, and 3 are now set (Q,O,&Stillman); Dermott is not as good as Stillman, says he can play the right side but we haven't seen it, and is injured with a concussion (and they can take a very long time).

Burr (can we call him that yet?) is still pretty safe on RD, but, as you fear, may be pushed down when Myers returns if Poolman continues to improve and not relapse.  (RD: Myers, Poolman, Schenn, Burroughs.  He has to hope we roll with 7 D and that he continues to outplay the 4LD (Dermott) for that 7th spot.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seems like they’ve been adjusting their plan since they got here. 

If you are going to start trading 2nd round picks then that is an indication you are all in now so we should be seeing some trades here to address the defence. We aren’t going to challenge for the cup with Poolman, Myers, Schenn and Burroughs on the right side of defence. 

We need to make a big splash and get a top 4 RHD pretty soon. 

I think giving Miller an 7 year extension was the bigger indicator of all-in. 

Its just an untenable cap problem that had to give somewhere. You can't lose someone like Kuzemko over it, e.g. just to keep Dickie and not burn an 2nd.

I don't like it either, but I'm actually surprised we got a useful player back. 

Looking back on what JR/PA inherited I only saw two viable ways to go, burn it down, or run with it. Run with it requires the loss of a 2nd, and hopefully no more to deal with JB's cap issues. I'm still shocked at moving Harmonic AND getting a pick back. That one should have cost us too.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Pretty sure he wasn't looking at trading a pick. It's the cost in the salary cap world. That's why you got to be very, very careful on the UFA's, and trades you make. And contracts you issue out.

it should maybe get a little cheaper to move money when the cap is 90+ but who knows, maybe this is the new normal now, mistakes are going to cost big to fix.

11 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yup.  But not right away we don't.  We have to get through this year.

And we're gonna give it a damn good kick at the cat.

(That was for those who didn't like the Stomp Some Dogs in the GDT)

Draft picks are not only down the road a ways but available from future deals too.

Colour me skeptical, we don't have a very good track record of acquiring picks as of late. The Motte trade was a step in the right direction though.

At least it's for next year and not this year, and we have every pick of ours aside from our 7th intact this season. Hopefully it stays that way. 

Unraveling the Benning era mess is going to take a while, I just hope it doesn't cost us much more in the way of assets. This management group still has a lot to prove because aside from a couple of signings this is still very much the team that Benning built. Hopefully they don't fall into the same trap of moving picks out that the Benning era management group did. 

Edited by Coconuts

17 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Surprised they paid a 2nd tbh. Thought they were set against that kind of move. 

DeaD set against that sort of move...

until reality sets in

• There it is 1

26 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

No, it means LD1,2, and 3 are now set (Q,O,&Stillman); Dermott is not as good as Stillman, says he can play the right side but we haven't seen it, and is injured with a concussion (and they can take a very long time).

Burr (can we call him that yet?) is still pretty safe on RD, but, as you fear, may be pushed down when Myers returns if Poolman continues to improve and not relapse.  (RD: Myers, Poolman, Schenn, Burroughs.  He has to hope we roll with 7 D and that he continues to outplay the 4LD (Dermott) for that 7th spot.

Yeah a few things still up in the air I guess.  Maybe Burroughs saving grace is that he is a right shot D, which is difficult to fill for the 6 or even 7 spot. 

I know its tough to have to type out all those extra letters, but no.......in answer to your "can we call him that yet?".    They'll only be one Burr. AFAIC.   

• Vintage 1