The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yeah! Let's Just Go Get That Top 4 RHD!!

Rate this topic

HKSR

But seriously, have you guys actually done the research to see who the heck would be available that is a Top 4 RHD at an age that fits the Canucks age group???

Take a look yourself:

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2023/caphit/all/defense/all/desc/right?stats-season=2023&limits=age-15-29

Those are the active RHD aged up to 29 years old in the entire NHL.

Of that list, who is realistically attainable that could be considered a true Top 4 RHD? 

Reality is, if we want a Top 4 RHD, it'll come through drafting and developing our own, or else picking one up via UFA.  Acquiring a RHD via trade generally costs a fortune, which is why I'm quite disappointed the Canucks brass didn't make a push to acquire Marino when he was available.  Look how much Nils friggin Lundqvist cost! 

Anyways, my rant for the day to show some clarity in terms of RHD availability.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just look at the fall off in terms of $$$ and the names attached to it.

Tell us again how an RHD will be easy to just "trade for" and then be sad knowing we've drafted less than 10 total RHD since 2005

Then be even more sad that Tucker Poolman is on that list with his cap hit

Then be even MORE sad that the 2nd round pick we gave Calgary for Bear Cheese that was Rasmus Andersson is trending in such an amazing direction for his cap hit :( 

image.thumb.png.78ec2545bd8b1818eb97e4ddce0ff98c.png

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

But seriously, have you guys actually done the research to see who the heck would be available that is a Top 4 RHD at an age that fits the Canucks age group???

Take a look yourself:

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2023/caphit/all/defense/all/desc/right?stats-season=2023&limits=age-15-29

Of that list, who is realistically attainable that could be considered a true Top 4 RHD? 

Reality is, if we want a Top 4 RHD, it'll come through drafting and developing our own, or else picking one up via UFA.  Acquiring a RHD via trade generally costs a fortune, which is why I'm quite disappointed the Canucks brass didn't make a push to acquire Marino when he was available.  Look how much Nils friggin Lundqvist cost! 

Severson is probably the only one of the list we'd have any chance of getting.

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Take a look yourself:

I like Peeke 24 , 6'3 - RD - 24 min great contract 2.75 X 3 yrs--  #2 now

Schneider 21 - RD - 6'2 - Played solid in playoffs for Rangers..   Future #2

I don't think teams would trade either player.

These guys are not on your list? .

12 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Severson is probably the only one of the list we'd have any chance of getting.

Maybe, but we'd have to overpay I'm sure.  It'd probably include a 1st round pick and one of our top 6 wingers.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, wildcam said:

They're further down.  It's sorted by cap hit.

• There it is 1

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Just look at the fall off in terms of $$$ and the names attached to it.

Tell us again how an RHD will be easy to just "trade for" and then be sad knowing we've drafted less than 10 total RHD since 2005

Then be even more sad that Tucker Poolman is on that list with his cap hit

Then be even MORE sad that the 2nd round pick we gave Calgary for Bear Cheese that was Rasmus Andersson is trending in such an amazing direction for his cap hit :( 

image.thumb.png.78ec2545bd8b1818eb97e4ddce0ff98c.png

Exactly.  It is REALLY hard to trade for a RHD, let alone a bonafide top pairing or even top 4 RHD.  People are dreaming on CDC.  It would take a massive overpayment to acquire one.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Exactly.  It is REALLY hard to trade for a RHD, let alone a bonafide top pairing or even top 4 RHD.  People are dreaming on CDC.  It would take a massive overpayment to acquire one.

4 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Hockey 101:

You draft and develop RHD. You don’t sign/trade for them.

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

14 minutes ago, wildcam said:

On list say there 60 RD men how many of those guys can play top 4 and play over 20 minutes..Maybe 15--20 ?

I guess that is what makes cost so high especially  when you want player under 27...

Now we know why its so hard for management to trade for this player? 

7 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Hockey 101:

You draft and develop RHD. You don’t sign/trade for them.

I agree look at Ducks pick this past June -  Pavel Mintyuko 18 - RD - 6'3 -- Leading OHL in scoring sure like this young guy..
Wished he fell to us but we did get a very talented Swede RW..

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Maybe, but we'd have to overpay I'm sure.  It'd probably include a 1st round pick and one of our top 6 wingers.

I agree the cost would be even high for Peeke 24 - 6'3 - RD played top pairing last season..

Would cost -- Horvat --  -- 2nd  rounder 2023 ?

Peeke -- 3rd rounder  2024 -- Van

Chychrun would be the one I'd be after 24 on a good contract, has requested a trade and can play both sides. He's going to cost a tonne no doubt but we need to get rid of one of Horvat, Boeser or Kuz as we can't keep them all next year.  So trade Horvat for example and use the assets from the trade and probably a bit more to get this guy or trade Boeser and do the same but probably need to add more assets.  

• Cheers 1

So if we draft a RHD this summer, best case scenario is that he will take between 3-4 years to make a meaningful impact at the NHL level (can't just assume he'll be an immediate impact player like Quinn).  That will mean this player will be contributing meaningfully to the team while the core (whomever that is) is still in it's prime and thereby become one of the core players themselves.

Looks like that's the way to go - draft a RHD and fix this issue that should never even have been an issue if the organizational needs were properly addressed in the first place by the previous regime. 

The only question then is who to draft:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/2023-nhl-draft-rankings-an-early-top-40

Looks like Cam Allen is the front runner for the top RHD (possibly the best overall D) in the draft - but unlikely to be on the board if we are a playoff WC team.  Maybe Danielson, Brzustewicz, or Strbak. 

It also means possibly drafting for organizational need over BPA which I know many people don't like so.....

Ristolainen? Dumba? Murphy? Liljegren? Bear? Severson?

Just throwing names out there but looking at the trade route we need the Pro Scouting department to unearth a "money puck" RHD.  Someone being poorly utilized or flying under the radar.  Johannson looks like a great pick up over in the SHL and just might be ready next season.  Who else in college should we be keeping an eye on as we can offer NHL minutes for the right guy.  We need a few more of these types to really have a chance to luck out on one of them being a top 4 RHD for this current core.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If you're ok with Hughes for Dobson, you can do it, but then your seriously hurting the left side defence.

I'd do Hughes for Dobson, but only with another trade lined up that has us acquiring Chychrun.  Maybe Horvat for futures that get shipped to Arizona.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd do Hughes for Dobson, but only with another trade lined up that has us acquiring Chychrun.  Maybe Horvat for futures that get shipped to Arizona.

Chychrun and Dobson? Yeah I'd be fine with that. The best part is that's $8.6 million for two defencemen for the next 3 years, and both under 25 years old.

Edited by Ghostsof1915