The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 22, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

I can see both sides to this. Watching live is preferable. You are right about the tv missing things. I was watching bertuzzi in that fateful game live and just before the incident moore grabs naslund on a shift and you can see bertuzzi lose it and try and get him to fight and then of course he punches him from behind. Not sure if the tv ever mentioned that 99% of the fans cheered the punch when replayed and about 80% cheered when the blood was shown on the ice too. 

On the other hand watching a lot of hockey and other sports also gives you a different perspective which can show things. Football/soccer fans know the importance of taking an overhead view of the shape and positioning and creating space. Plus tv fans rewind and watch things multiple times vs being there you can get unduly swayed by first reactions.

With so many things going wrong for this version of the Canucks i think there is some truth in differing takes but as the games add up we'll really see if they are this bad or if its a funk.

Spot on...  

Being live you often notice the pattern/ movement of players nor directly involved in the game. This you don't see as well on tv.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Boudreau,s been around the league long enough to know what yeos all about he wouldn’t have hired his own potential replacement. I could be wrong ,that happened once before …. No wait.  Lol

Yeah, I just don't get it.

I don't like Yeo, but what do I know?

BB made a great hire in Scotty Walker but we lost him.

Everything I looked up had BB hiring Yeo though (Yo-Yo?).

BB is a better coach than an AGM that's for sure, if this is the case.

• Like 1

Just now, DSVII said:

The top 3 (Bedard, fantilli, michkov) are good enough to be 1st overall in any other year. It's a deep draft.

I really like Michov and he looked every bot as good as Bedard in the WJHC........though he was getting more opportunity to show his stuff than Bedard

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

at this point, I think all bets with the KHL are off.  I see a mass exodus and league collapse on the horizon

I expect it to continue.

it’s an oligarch play toy.

they’ll just replace the exodus of international players with those from within their geographical boundaries 

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We need a 3C, we need two top 4 D that actually complement Hughes/OEL, we need more grit and defensive ability in the upper end of the lineup. We need more organizational/prospect depth.

I feel like a broken record here as I've been posting all these things for over a year now....

yep we've talked about the need for a 3C for a looooong time. If we could turn Brock into that, and then maybe bring in a UFA d this offseason we'd be much further along.

I really see only two potential paths to a quick d fix - UFA and and offer sheet. 

Make the ballsy play and lets offer sheet a young RHD. I mean who cares about "retaliation"? all that means is more picks. 

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Considering their situation and desperate need for success... The Leafs need to pay to remove Holl and upgrade big time.

Schenn for holl + 1st +3rd

3rd is for the cap dump holl, The 1st is for the ultimate hits leading cheap vet defender schenn. Gets them some cap relief which they need when people come back from injuries.

They paid over 15 picks including 4 firsts since 19' doing little upgrades like this. Obviously trading our only leader results in needing to go full sell though.

Go full Habs/ NYR. Dont sit around waiting, Don't add other teams failed mid 20 year olds for once please canucks 

wtf GIF

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'm baffled why BB is playing Lazar on the wing, tbh.

Yup... I'd be running Petey, Horvat, Lazar and Aman personally. That's still not where it needs to be for a contending team, but it's better than what we're seeing now.

Miller, ESPECIALLY with how he's playing currently, needs less defensive responsibility and to just go out and score on (more defensively responsible) someone's wing.

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Miller's not the problem. How is it possible that the captain of this team doesn't show up in the home opener? Horvat was quiet the whole game. That's not the effort and passion you would expect from a captain.

I don't think it's on one guy. To a man the team is just flat. It's like watching the team under Torts. Team just looks so stale.  

41 minutes ago, stawns said:

For the record, I don't think Miller is a bad person, I think he's not a good fit forthis group.  I've played with somany Miller's in my life and it's a tough gig.......on one hand, they can really lift you up and motivate you, on the other they drag you down deep when they are down and ultimately never knowing what to expect from them, in the dressing room and on the ice, is really stressful to be around.  

A player like Miller needs to be on a more veteran team, imo.  A team with guys who have dealt with the Miller's of the world before and know how to keep him more even keeled.  You can call that "lack of leadership" from Bo, Petey etc, but they are a young team and they need stability to grow together.

Boeser just needs a new start, he's done here.

I think your point was made when Schenn stepped up last night.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Nah don’t agree at all.

he’s leaving it to the slumping players to get themselves out of it and face responsibility. It’s rare that a coach can enable this through system play…the player has to rely on themselves to force change. They are solely accountable at this point, especially as they are being paid to perform under any reasonable expectation. It’s no different from the real world where anyone has to look at themselves to effect change.

Decent points, but Bruce is the Head Coach and thus wears a significant amount of responsibility for what’s happening. Along with the players, upper management, and yes, the owner.

7 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yeah, I just don't get it.

I don't like Yeo, but what do I know?

BB made a great hire in Scotty Walker but we lost him.

Everything I looked up had BB hiring Yeo though (Yo-Yo?).

BB is a better coach than an AGM that's for sure, if this is the case.

Yeo’s that Knob that no one likes. His Tyranical style with the fragility of this team would be a disaster. these new Russian kids are probly saying WTF did we get ourselves into. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is not a coaching issue, this is Torts all over again.A bunch of pouty, poor me, over paid sad example of hockey players taking their sticks and going home.

These guys can't even change their brutal entitlement on the PP and stay on for almost the full 2 minutes. This has been like this for a long time.

Thye need to go ASAP.

There’s something about Vancouver that makes NHL players want to retire prematurely going as far back as Messier.  It’s like every time we sign an aging vet for any length of time.  There’s a country club feel to Vancouver.  I felt it with Eriksson, Schaller, Sutter, Pearson, Beagle, and now Miller, it’s like there’s something in the air that makes you want to kick your feet up and pat yourself of the back for accomplishing mediocrity.  It’s more than just the nerves after signing a big contract, it’s an unwillingness to push hard.  It’s a take it easy and relax city, there’s no hunger in a lot of our vets right now

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

For the record, I don't think Miller is a bad person, I think he's not a good fit forthis group.  I've played with somany Miller's in my life and it's a tough gig.......on one hand, they can really lift you up and motivate you, on the other they drag you down deep when they are down and ultimately never knowing what to expect from them, in the dressing room and on the ice, is really stressful to be around.  

A player like Miller needs to be on a more veteran team, imo.  A team with guys who have dealt with the Miller's of the world before and know how to keep him more even keeled.  You can call that "lack of leadership" from Bo, Petey etc, but they are a young team and they need stability to grow together.

Boeser just needs a new start, he's done here.

I agree with this.

I think Miller needs to play on an already established team with stable leaders in place. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I think they get what they can and move on and be smart with the cap space

I think Bo will be the one moved...

He has been ok during this start, and with his contract coming up, he'll be a lot easier to move than both Brock and Miller in particular.

Something will have to give, its becoming blatantly evident, its not going according to plan... 

And at this stage its a question, how do we get the most, that can help us afterwards... and I believe that is Bo. Unfortunately...

Brock won't give us anything on D of real value... but cap space... We can survive letting go of a winger, but Bo will leave a massive hole.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1