The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

0-5-2 with 75 games left. Can we turn it around?

Rate this topic

PetterssonOrPeterson

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I'd rather we don't turn it around.

Last year we did and all it resulted in was a lower draft pick.

I'm perfectly fine with having a terrible season if it means a top pick. That's what's best for the franchise long term.

And being at the bottom will (hopefully) result in a long overdue rebuild.  

• Vintage 1

They have the tools. December-January I say they find there real stride. This team are sleepers to start. This year as terrible as it is at beginning, may not end that way. 

25-40 game mark & they still haven’t picked it up. I think management will make a move. It’ll be a big one, I think no stars are safe by deadline IF they continue to shit the bed. 

18 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I'd rather we don't turn it around.

Last year we did and all it resulted in was a lower draft pick.

I'm perfectly fine with having a terrible season if it means a top pick. That's what's best for the franchise long term.

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And being at the bottom will (hopefully) result in a long overdue rebuild.  

I've been longing for a proper rebuild since Torts said we had a stale core nearly a decade ago. 

It was even more evident then when we were falling off a cliff and had aging veterans with no prominent prospects in the pipeline at all except for Bo. 

Now, we have a team with a fairly young core. A core that has been very disappointing. 

Do you think Aquilini would really want to rebuild now? He was reluctant when it was blatantly obvious we needed one.

Always in denial and thinking we could retool on the fly for that precious playoff revenue. 

I hate to say it but I think he would be even more reluctant for an actual rebuild now, using our young core as an excuse.

It's absolutely frustrating to have such a stubborn owner who never thinks about the future of the team, and if he does think about it, then it's already too late by the time he actually realizes. His actions this past decade have shown exactly that. 

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I've been longing for a proper rebuild since Torts said we had a stale core nearly a decade ago. 

It was even more evident then when we were falling off a cliff and had aging veterans with no prominent prospects in the pipeline at all except for Bo. 

Now, we have a team with a fairly young core. A core that has been very disappointing. 

Do you think Aquilini would really want to rebuild now? He was reluctant when it was blatantly obvious we needed one.

Always in denial and thinking we could retool on the fly for that precious playoff revenue. 

I hate to say it but I think he would be even more reluctant for an actual rebuild now, using our young core as an excuse.

It's absolutely frustrating to have such a stubborn owner who never thinks about the future of the team, and if he does think about it, then it's already too late that he realizes. 

Agreed, I don't think ownership will approve a proper rebuild unfortunately.

If we're stuck in this fruitless attempt at competing every year, the best outcome IMO is to bottom out this year and get a very good prospect. It sure beats getting another mid 1st round pick.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

Agreed, I don't think ownership will approve a proper rebuild unfortunately.

If we're stuck in this fruitless attempt at competing every year, the best outcome IMO is to bottom out this year and get a very good prospect. It sure beats getting another mid 1st round pick.

I guess it helps if you just suck as a team.

There's not really much you can do about it, the team just sucks, you're too behind and can't catch up to the other teams, and you end up getting a high pick....

Tuesday Morning Reaction GIF by The Secret Life Of Pets

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

I've been at this for a while, manual process but I wanted to see how much of a bad start we are having historically.

Used hockeydb as source (Vancouver Canucks hockey team [NHL] statistics and history at hockeydb.com)

Things that stand out from analyzing the records (shown below)

• This is going to be one of the top 5 worst starts (though of the top 10 worst starts, 50% still made the playoffs)
  • The canucks don't start well often but it's their record over 20 games which seems to be the decisive factor in playoffs (unless we're so far below .500 before then that we can't break even)
  • Even with their best starts they missed the playoffs 3 times, including their best record.
  • There's no correlation between starts and the seasons that we made the Stanley Cup Finals.

So there's both doom and hope.

The missing context that is needed with this is that league expansion has made achieving the playoffs significantly harder.   These numbers would have to be corrected for that if you want to compare them to this year and our chances.  It draws an incorrect conclusion otherwise.

When there were 22 teams in 81/82 and 16 made it to the playoffs you could have a badly losing record and still make it in.  Almost every team made it.

In 81-82 we finished three games under .500

94-95 we finished the shortened season right at .500

88-89 we finished 6 games under .500

None of those records would be close to getting us a wildcard spot now.

Only one time on that list did we reach a level that would make the playoff nowadays 

It actually shows how bleak the situation is.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

seems like no-one wants a complete rebuild, proposals often want to keep at least one of the current roster players.  Competing teams will want players that can help them win right now.  I think the Canucks have players like that.  Players that want to win the next game.

<start here>   Win the next game.     

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aladeen said:

Please don’t turn it around, finishing last this season is exactly what this team needs. 

Aladeen’s fool proof plan:

Step1: Finish 32nd this season

Step2: draft Bedard

Step3: ????
Step4: Win Stanley Cup 2024

Step 5: Profit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aladeen said:

Please don’t turn it around, finishing last this season is exactly what this team needs. 

Aladeen’s fool proof plan:

Step1: Finish 32nd this season

Step2: draft Bedard

Step3: ????
Step4: Win Stanley Cup 2024

10000% lets go nucks, keep playing as bad as you are now for the whole season, bedard will be as good as ours

• Vintage 1

It's possible...

1. We need Demko to play like he did last season.

2. Hughes needs to get healthy ASAP.

3. We need at least 2 of  Dermott, Stillman, and Poolman to return so that we don't have to ice more than 1 AHL caliber defender.

4. The whole group needs to learn to play a grittier game or we should make trades to acquire gritty veteran players who know how to defend and grind out a win.

Edited by jyu
  • Upvote 1

Get a top 5 pick hope for Bedard. Time to dissect the team and have a proper rebuild. Don't care if FA pockets hurt. He should sell the team as he doesn't know what the fans want or how to run an NHL team. Each year it's mediocrity and an AHL lineup. Tired of it.