The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Bear | #74 | D

-AJ-

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He’s an RFA. He won’t have a contract as of July 1. How would he have insurance when he doesn’t even have a contract to insure?

Wonder what that worlds gold cost him. Probably at least a couple million dollars over the next year or two and who knows how it will affect his career. 

• Cheers 1

At this point they kind of have to walk away from Bear.  Maybe there’s an opportunity to sign him to a cheaper deal and park him on IR as the offseason winds down.  

As it stands, though, I can’t see him being a priority.  Sucks for him and the club, he had a good situation here.

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2023 at 9:01 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I would LOVE it if Bear signs a cheap deal with us. Even if it's just to rehab at minimum. If he comes back the same player he could be the guy who takes Myers minutes when we trade him at the deadline

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Does sound very much like we're not bringing him back unless it's on a very cheap deal. Unless he's willing to play for like $1M, he'll probably sign somewhere else.

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Does sound very much like we're not bringing him back unless it's on a very cheap deal. Unless he's willing to play for like $1M, he'll probably sign somewhere else.

He’s likely not getting much regardless of where he signs. And what team is going to sign him while he’s recovering from shoulder surgery? 

I think the Irwin signing sealed Bear's fate, we picked up a cheaper 7-8th defenceman who's slower than Bear but much tougher physically and maybe better on the PK. There was a bit of a hole in the 6-8th spot which Bear could have filled but I like the way our management is going - towards more rugged defencemen. You either move the puck and skate well (Hughes, Hronek) or you're a tough SOB to play against (Cole, Soucy), there's no more room for in-between players.

Rathbone and Hirose need to see if they're good enough skating-wise to stay. Myers is on his way out anyway. We're cutting out the fringe guys who can't do anything well and really focussing on elite guys who either puck-move well or defend well.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

iirc Bear is currently being paid by insurance so under zero pressure to rush a deal.  Glad to hear the door is still open as he could slide back in nicely given inevitable injuries throughout the year.

He would have to take a cheaper deal than what he was making to have any chance of rejoining the Canucks. Probably a max of 1.1 mil/ yr.

7 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

He would have to take a cheaper deal than what he was making to have any chance of rejoining the Canucks. Probably a max of 1.1 mil/ yr.

Yeah he’s basically snookered into a one year show me deal anywhere he goes.

I’m thinking he doesn’t sign until the season starts so it’ll be pro-rated anyways, maybe with LTIR money.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 4:21 PM, ilduce39 said:

Yeah he’s basically snookered into a one year show me deal anywhere he goes.

I’m thinking he doesn’t sign until the season starts so it’ll be pro-rated anyways, maybe with LTIR money.

Does Hockey Canada cover the injury ?

27 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Does Hockey Canada cover the injury ?

I don’t know the details but I read somewhere that he was insured, so he can take his time rehabbing without worrying about getting a contract to get paid. 

I think hockey Canada pays their insurance but I could be wrong!

• Cheers 1

On 8/8/2023 at 11:47 AM, ilduce39 said:

I don’t know the details but I read somewhere that he was insured, so he can take his time rehabbing without worrying about getting a contract to get paid. 

I think hockey Canada pays their insurance but I could be wrong!

I’m not sure it works that way with expired contracts.