The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Pittsburgh Penguins at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 28, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

What? 

Calder runner up from a 23rd overall pick is amazing.  

I've been Boeser's harshest critic but let's not jump the gun here.  I want to see a fully healthy Boeser for 40 games before we run him out of town. 

I think we'd all love to see him play up to expectations and what we thought his potential was way back in year 1 of his NHL career, but as we've all seen, he unfortunately has not been the same since he was rammed into the boards and got seriously injured and due to extremely urgent needs on defence, one of top forwards will have to go to free up $ and IMO, he's candidate number #1 if JR can somehow trick someone into just taking him off our hands even-stevens or actually getting anything back for him which would be a bonus.

Unless the team is put into a full rebuild - the only chance of possibly squeeking into the playoffs one day is to fix our defence.

The only thing that might save Brock is if his recent poor output continues and we end up stuck with him because of what we might have to give up to unload him (at present either salary retention and/or a high draft pick).   In that case, his contract will just become another OEL, L.E. Dickson, or Myers - Jim Benning legacy until burnt-up.  

Sad situation but reality!   Still can't understand why JR re-signed him given the serious situation this team was & is still in defensively and given Brocks decline. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I think we'd all love to see him play up to expectations and what we thought his potential was way back in year 1 of his NHL career, but as we've all seen, he unfortunately has not been the same since he was rammed into the boards and got seriously injured and due to extremely urgent needs on defence, one of top forwards will have to go to free up $ and IMO, he's candidate number #1 if JR can somehow trick someone into just taking him off our hands even-stevens or actually getting anything back for him which would be a bonus.

Unless the team is put into a full rebuild - the only chance of possibly squeeking into the playoffs one day is to fix our defence.

The only thing that might save Brock is if his recent poor output continues and we end up stuck with him because of what we might have to give up to unload him (at present either salary retention and/or a high draft pick).   In that case, his contract will just become another OEL, L.E. Dickson, or Myers - Jim Benning legacy until burnt-up.  

Sad situation but reality!   Still can't understand why JR re-signed him given the serious situation this team was & is still in defensively and given Brocks decline. 

Brock hasn’t been the same player since he got ran over by Clutterbuck.  He believes he needs to be “heavy” to protect himself.  He’s about 210 and should be 190.  Too bad he thinks that way though, because a 20 pound lighter Boeser would be quicker and way more effective.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Brock hasn’t been the same player since he got ran over by Clutterbuck.  He believes he needs to be “heavy” to protect himself.  He’s about 210 and should be 190.  Too bad he thinks that way though, because a 20 pound lighter Boeser would be quicker and way more effective.  

Good point and very possibly the reason he has slowed down so drastically.   If was a betting man I'd say he's about 220'ish ponds, because that's what his body mass visually appears to look like when he's dragging it around.    It's so sad to see what became of him and if we were only paying him $2.5M to $3M I'd say "keep him a bit longer", just to see if he can somehow turn things around but unfortunately due to other needs - primarily defencively - we should unload him once he hopefuly gets healthy and upgrade  a Dman,

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Agree with most of what you state, but the big problem with Miller is that extremely long contract that doesn't ever start until the 23-24 season and goes all the way into the begining of the next 2030's decade - when he'll be almost 40 years old (and almost certainly won't even be playing by then).  That contract will come back to haunt our next GM and next owners and go down as one of the worst contracts ever signed by this franchise.  Mark my words!

Miler will be 37 when his contract ends not 40. Also, by that time you will have players making $15-18 million per year. So an $8 million contract 6-7 years from now won’t really hurt this franchise much. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Good point and very possibly the reason he has slowed down so drastically.   If was a betting man I'd say he's about 220'ish ponds, because that's what his body mass visually appears to look like when he's dragging it around.    It's so sad to see what became of him and if we were only paying him $2.5M to $3M I'd say "keep him a bit longer", just to see if he can somehow turn things around but unfortunately due to other needs - primarily defencively - we should unload him once he hopefuly gets healthy and upgrade  a Dman,

There was a video on CDC years ago when Brock came back to a September camp after his injury. He met Bo in the weight room and bragged about gaining weight and being 206 pounds.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he was 220.  He really needs a leader on our team to sit him down and explain that he needs to be 190 and quicker.  I doubt while making 7 mil/year he will listen though.  Why listen?  except a guy who wants to be the best (internally motivated) would listen and d9 whatever it takes t9 be better.  Not too sure Brock has that in him though.  But at 190 hrs a heck of a good player.  Likely he’s traded to Boston and drops the weight and is a star again.  

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Hes always been slow.   When he was drafted, every scouting report called out his poor skating.  He doesnt have the mechanics.  It has nothing to do with bulking up or a hit by clutterbuck years ago. 

He literally drags down every line he plays on and one way or another needs to go.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

Can anyone confirm, are the black skate jerseys our alternate jersey this year? If so, do we know which dates they come out for? And why are we wearing reverse retro next game when we haven’t worn our black skate jerseys yet?

Because they are marketing the retros the entire league.  It's revenue. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BPA said:

Boeser won’t be playing with Horvat since Horvat needs to play with Miller.  That’s my point.  Who’s Boeser going to play with???  It’s probably Lazar/Aman with Pearson.  Not exactly top flight scorers and playmakers.  

Boeser haters are going to get their wish and see him run out of town.  He’ll probably do well with a change in scenery and possibly get that 30g mark.  Heck…even Dickinson has improved since leaving the Canucks.

I don't think anyone is running Boeser out of town.

The bottom line is that Boeser has been pushed out of the top 6.

Not purely his fault but he has been having injury problems while Garland and Kuzmenko have started to establish chemistry with Bo and Petey respectively. At this point, I don't think Bruce would disrupt the top 2 lines just to fit Boeser in the lineup. 

I think one subtlety that went unnoticed is Pearson moving to the bottom 6. Pearson focussing on the defensive side of the puck helped bring balance to the lineup. 

Is Boeser versatile enough to play a bottom 6 role like Pearson? Because Boeser would easily slot in over Hoglander:

Pearson-Studnicka-Boeser

Podz-Aman-Joshua

We shall find out when he returns.

I would like to see Boeser re-invent his game a bit and become more of a middle 6 winger. If he isn't able to do so, Boeser will clearly be the odd man out and we are probably better off to trade him just to open up the cap space for Horvat and Kuzmenko.

8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This doesn’t exactly instill confidence for me in the new coaching/training staff. Any soreness that doesn’t go away after a day or two is something a player should not be playing through as it’s likely a sign of an injury. If it were the playoffs, sure I can see that, players often play with broken bones, but it’s early regular season. No injury will ever get better by playing through it, the right course of action is to rest and heal until whatever is bothering the player is no longer there. Would much rather him sit until he’s healthy for a few games or weeks then aggravate whatever is wrong and lose him to surgery or months off. This is pretty basic common sense stuff here and they’ve already failed pretty badly in their new roles.

55 minutes ago, jyu said:

Not purely his fault but he has been having injury problems while Garland and Kuzmenko have started to establish chemistry with Bo and Petey respectively. At this point, I don't think Bruce would disrupt the top 2 lines just to fit Boeser in the lineup. 

I think one subtlety that went unnoticed is Pearson moving to the bottom 6. Pearson focussing on the defensive side of the puck helped bring balance to the lineup. 

Is Boeser versatile enough to play a bottom 6 role like Pearson? Because Boeser would easily slot in over Hoglander:

Pearson-Studnicka-Boeser

Podz-Aman-Joshua

I would like to see Boeser re-invent his game a bit and become more of a middle 6 winger. If he isn't able to do so, Boeser will clearly be the odd man out and we are probably better off to trade him just to open up the cap space for Horvat and Kuzmenko.

If he’s a middle six winger only getting PP2 time, there is absolutely no way he’s going to be able to justify his $6.65M salary for the next 3yrs.  He’d be overpaid by $1M-2M (depending on his pts/season).

It’s better to try and trade him (with possible retention) and get that cap space.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, BPA said:

If he’s a middle six winger only getting PP2 time, there is absolutely no way he’s going to be able to justify his $6.65M salary for the next 3yrs.  He’d be overpaid by $1M-2M (depending on his pts/season).

It’s better to try and trade him (with possible retention) and get that cap space.

A middle six winger that can slot in the top 6 is a nice luxury to have.

But as it stand, we have other holes to fill in the roster that we can't really afford a 6+ mil middle six winger.

I wasn't sure if we should trade Garland or Boeser before the start of the season. I know it's a small sample but the first 9 games of the season, and particularly the last 2 wins without Boeser sort of made it clear who is staying and who is leaving. 

In some sense, it's unfortunate that his salary is what it is. If it were 5-5.5, I think there would be more appetite to keep him around to see if he can re-discover his scoring touch while becoming a versatile player that can play up and down the lineup.

I think injury-free Boeser can re-invent his game and when he does, he will likely be worth his price tag. It's probably going to happen with another team though.

8 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Agree with most of what you state, but the big problem with Miller is that extremely long contract that doesn't ever start until the 23-24 season and goes all the way into the begining of the next 2030's decade - when he'll be almost 40 years old (and almost certainly won't even be playing by then).  That contract will come back to haunt our next GM and next owners and go down as one of the worst contracts ever signed by this franchise.  Mark my words!

I'm not a huge fan of JT's contract, I would have much rather traded him last year but let's not get melodramatic here. JT will be 36 years old during the final year of this deal.

Doom and gloom would be calgarys forte...

Huberdeau @ 10.5 mil till age 37

Kadri @ 7 mil till age 38 

Weager @ 6.25 mil till age 36

• There it is 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miler will be 37 when his contract ends not 40. Also, by that time you will have players making $15-18 million per year. So an $8 million contract 6-7 years from now won’t really hurt this franchise much. 

as I originally said, he'll be almost 40 and I guarantee you he will not be playing in the NHL in the last few years of his contract.    He'll be lucky to make it to 34-35 y.o. playing. I'll bet you $5 bucks on that!

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

as I originally said, he'll be almost 40 and I guarantee you he will not be playing in the NHL in the last few years of his contract.    He'll be lucky to make it to 34-35 y.o. playing. I'll bet you $5 bucks on that!

The gloves are off now :o

Season 3 Homer GIF by The Simpsons

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, jyu said:

Pearson-Studnicka-Boeser

Podz-Aman-Joshua

Boeser in a bottom 6 role? i dont think so....

• Cheers 1