The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Canuck You said:

At this point, You're not getting crap for him unless you are a major contender and have cap space, but who does?..Probability gonna let him walk and invest that money on the back end, i know it's harsh but I think it makes the most sense.

Letting Bo walk would be such bad asset management. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Serious option? No serious team would do this. This isn't even a serious plan. 

Whats your timeline for success? Who are you building around? It's been >50 years & we haven't picked 1st once, a Bedard/McDavid/Matthews type isn't coming here. How are u building a contender while picking 5th overall at highest?

I can appreciate wanting to start over, but that's more of the 'hope as a plan' plan than transitioning the roster is.

As for the rest, Miller & OEL were never who this is built on. And almost no cup teams win with their best players on ELCs, Tampa took 12 years from the time they picked 1st OV to win.

1.  Actually, many serious teams tear it down and build from the bottom.  At the very least, if they aren't drafting high enough, they sell off to accumulate draft capital and youth to rebuild their team.  By your faulty logic, it's been 50 years without winning a cup, so what makes you think a cup would ever be won here?  Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it won't.  This is in regards to both drafting high enough to select an impact player, and winning a cup.

2.  As it stands, there is no timeline worth speaking about because this team is not good enough.  Full stop.  By ripping off the bandage, the team is afforded an opportunity to start again and reset the window.

3.  While it is true that the practicality of the plan is out of mine or your control, as much as this may be "hope", it's theoretically and philosophically the only way forward to sensibly move towards winning a cup.

4.  Actually, this is incorrect.  If the team was built around other players, the various managements of this team would have just cashed out on Miller and not have made the trade for OEL in the first place.  They chose to invest in these players, and when you make that much money and have as much term as they do, you become the building blocks.  If Benning really thought this was a Hughes-led defence, he wouldn't have targeted OEL and his contract to improve the defence.  Same with Rutherford re-signing Miller if he truly thought Elias Pettersson was the forward worth building around.

You're also misinterpreting what I said about ELCs.  A team doesn't need to win with their core on ELCs, but it can't be capped out with ineffective, ageing players.  That's where the value of having young players on ELCs and bridges comes into play, and you get that by drafting well (which we have not).

3 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

At this point, You're not getting crap for him unless you are a major contender and have cap space, but who does?..Probability gonna let him walk and invest that money on the back end, i know it's harsh but I think it makes the most sense.

The stupidity of that move would be monumental 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Move guys who get us the best value in picks/prospects.  And stop trading away picks and prospects. 

We need to go full Ducks.

7 first rounders in 4 years and they have studs from the second round. Benning really f’ed us. Competitive rebuild wasted 6+ years of fans time.

Ok. 

I'm done with this new management group.

Do nothing bitches.

Why sign JT without following up on our needs on D? that signing should have triggered that we are going all in.

Half ass...they have so many forwards to dangle but ....nadda.

This so called all star management group are as good as those disgusting outfits our club had to wear last night. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Miller has 5 goals and 9 points in ten games.. and 226 points in 212 games since becoming a Canuck .... he's deemed as versatile.  LW/C.   So wouldn't count him out of the trade world.   Not yet anyways.   

You have AV for a handle.   How much do you know about those salaries anyways.   For example, the Sedins hadn't produced like Miller, on better teams...and couldn't do much of anything until after the lockout.    Did you forget that?    IF they didn't peak at 29/30 the WCE era would have won some cups    Hate to say this, but Miller actually earned his raise ... both of the Sedins second and third contracts were on the steep side for what they'd done so far.  And 21.5% of the cap for two players was a handicap. 

Yes the teams a mess.  There shouldn't be much more if any leash. 

You can be paid fairly and earn your contract, while also being a complete anchor to the direction to the team needs to be going.  This is J.T. Miller.  I have always maintained his contract is fair, but the very idea of him being on this team is what makes the contract for the Canucks and where they need to be going.

Case and point, Erik Karlsson is performing like an 11M defenceman this season and may even find himself in Norris contention if things keep up, but make no mistake, the Sharks would probably still do anything to move his contract to clear salary and open space to properly rebuild.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

How do you come up with this sort of assessment? Have you ever looked at NHL trades before? Ever seen a TDL? You're aware there is major talk about SJ and CHI getting out of the Jones and karlsson deals right? 

I get our history doesn't show we will ever make the correct decision... But to pretend like magically the Canucks player is worth nothing while other teams 3rd liners and bottom pair D pull 1sts and 2nd at the TDL is just a poor narrative my friend 

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Ok. 

Do nothing bitches.

Why sign JT without following up on our needs on D? that signing should have triggered that we are going all in.

This so called all star management group are as good as those disgusting outfits our club had to wear last night. 

Yup, good to see fans opening up.

I wish fans were like this a few years ago as well.

Could’ve avoided Miller signing and OEL trade :sick:

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Ok. 

Do nothing bitches.

Last in a draft with upwards of 5 franchise players. Last year had zero. I'll take this all day! Just need to be a seller. JR told the guys jobs are on the line, Including being dumped on waivers. Followed up with last night's efforts... I don't see how we do not sell.

Granted we of all teams would trade  top 3 pick for a massive package of middling 25 year olds lmao

Just now, J-23 said:

Yup, good to see fans opening up.

I wish fans were like this a few years ago as well.

Could’ve avoided Miller signing and OEL trade :sick:

I have no problem with those players, though I have been disappointed with OEL.

But if you are keeping them you can't go half assed. We needed to jump in with both feet. JT did his part by signing a good contract, managment then sat on their thumbs. 

OEL is obviously playing hurt which is hurting the team. He was easily our 2nd best D man last year.

Shelf him or at the very least split him and Myers up.

The positive on D was Bear.

Considering this was his first game, he was moving the puck, skating well and defending pretty good, considering he didn't know whatever the heck kind of system we are deploying.

Hughes Schenn

Burroughs Bear

Stillman/Rathbone- Myers

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I have no problem with those players, though I have been disappointed with OEL.

But if you are keeping them you can't go half assed. We needed to jump in with both feet. JT did his part by signing a good contract, managment then sat on their thumbs. 

I don’t have a problem with those players either. Cap hits and age on the other hand.…

Regardless, doesn’t matter, rebuild is imminent.

17 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol we are easily approahing a full deade of struggles.. at least they rebuild thru the entirety of it and have boat load of prospect to boost.. mean while the canucks? haven't even started the rebuild.. by the time we actually go into a rebuild and finally finish a rebuild? we'll easily be worse than any of the buffalo new jersey edmonton rebuild.. we haven't even started and we already approaching a decade

All I'm saying is that rebuilds almost never happen "properly." So get ready for that.

But at the same time, c'mon, Edmonton was pretty bad - we should not give any credit to their rebuild. They had multiple 1st overall picks and weren't able to make any meaningful improvement until they drafted McJesus. New Jersey's hasn't been bad but still took almost a decade, and Buffalo's was terrible as well - has everyone already forgotten how 5 different men went through their head coaching carousel? But I guess now they finally have a solid pool of young players to show for it. 

The only "proper" rebuild I can recently recall is what the Avalanche went through. 

• Cheers 1

Do we still feel good about the Pittsburg win. Team pulls it together and plays with structure one game in 10 and that is enough we feel that it is turned around. 
‘Just crazy. 
At this point we don’t have much choice but watching this group lose for a couple more weeks before we start winning enough to move us into middle of the pack. 
Cant make any major changes now, that ship has sailed until close to the deadline. The flat cap has just crushed movement in season. 
‘I just hope at some point ownership can step back and see this is a team going nowhere higher than to the middle. 
Weaponize the generosity of the owner. Use retention and stop bleeding picks and our best RHD prospects even though they are long shots. 

I do think in isolation the Bear deal was a good one, the Stillman deal was terrible and wrong minded and not a fan of the Dermott deal. The Management is acting like we are contenders, giving away pics for complimentary and depth players, signing PKers to huge deals to try to fill the roster. 
It is all just such a distorted view of what this team is just because we had a hot run with a new coach but still showed a lot of character issues during that run. 

I absolutely have the stomach for a rebuild. I no longer have the stomach for half measures and building towards mediocrity. 

• Vintage 1