The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Tank4Bedard said:

image.thumb.png.2ee49546550a1407de24dfd38278bc0b.png

I am still extremely salty about this. We were 1 pick away from Zegras... Hope we tank properly this year but yenno, that never happens. Gotta win meaningless games. Pod may have a good future but man Zegras is so fun to watch and is good. 

image.thumb.png.2953234c645f3af088f129808b6790e2.png

That OT loss ruined it for us..... 

There's actually people here who insist they would rather have Podkolzin than Zegras :towel:

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Hate to admit it but it's probably time to rebuild. Getting out butts kicked by NJ and Buffalo was pretty sobering. 

Do you sell petey and quinn as well? 

Are there any untouchables? 

We need to tank and bring our boy home. I gave up man, We suck.

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Hate to admit it but it's probably time to rebuild. Getting out butts kicked by NJ and Buffalo was pretty sobering. 

Do you sell petey and quinn as well? 

Are there any untouchables? 

Will our owner allow the trade of a key core player in a rebuilding move, where we get back high picks?  I don’t think he will.  If we do move a key core piece it will be for a player or players to help now.  Our moves are (.almost) always intended to help now.  Allvin said as much when we gave up on Myrenberg.  “He’s five years away”.  

The irony is we've been getting a beating by teams who have gone through proper rebuilds - Edmonton, New Jersey and Buffalo. They have shown us what it takes to become a power house out of nothing first-hand.

We never looked in those games, their high end skill trumped us all game long, and they were only for a few seasons.

Ownership clearly don't want a rebuild but I think it would be quite fun - we'd be looking for little victories here and there and the odd win would be explosive, as long as we have a long term plan. Even a crash 3-year rebuild would get us so many good young players on high picks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Needs some awfully savy GMing.   OEL and Miller aren't terrible anchors, and could be good support vets depending on how the rest is dealt with.  He's also still putting up the points, five goals and nine points in 10 games.    Actually i think teams would be interested in him despite his poor start.   It's a manageable cap hit, and he's very versatile.     Sure rather have him at 8 x 7, then Tavares at 11.5 etc.   

Horvat is a rental...that should get about what Miller could have without a contract - a first rounder, grade A prospect and a roster player back that doesn't move the needle but helps the trading partners cap work.    

There is a path where we can deliberately tank, and the turn the corner quickly.   To me that starts with a Boeser trade.   Guy deserves a fresh start on a different team, and if you want to look at it pure stat wise - he's not much different then what Duchene was doing points and goals per game anyways.   Or Reinhardt in Buffalo.   Brock and Horvat is the low hanging fruit.   We could retain on Brock and it wouldn't matter that much too.   Because we won't be in a position to contend during his current deal anyways.  One million ought to make him more appealing.   

It's truly too bad OJ didn't work out.  Like Ohlund or Edler did.   He was supposed to have the highest floor of any D that draft,  turns out that floor wasn't quite good enough even as a bottom pairing guy.   

QHs is another guy i'd be up for trading, same with Demko.   Goaltending is a fickle position,  COL needs a goalie, we need a young top for D ... COL cycle is way ahead of ours, trading Demko for one of their goalies, plus Byram back and something to even out the cap...id do that.   Not sure COL would, but it is their biggest question mark right now, they might do Rathbone and Demko, for Byram plus cap back.    

QHs already said i'd trade him for Dobson.  Not sure NYI would though.  Anyways, we need to do something.    Maybe it starts with a hockey trade.   And goes from there. 

Every bone in my body says Bo is as good as gone...

Had we started on fire 'as a team' management may have seen it differently, but I'd be hugely surprised, if they are going to give Bo a similar contract to Miller, despite him tearing it up just now, after Miller reminding everyone, last year was a contract year....

The team isn't burning the house down. Bo is doing his part, the rest.... not so much so. 

I will always cheer for a Canucks win, but I think its slowly dawning on me, that this is just the same old, same old...

I like the players, and I love the team, but they do not fuction as a unit. 
This is exactly where we were last season under Green and Benning. 

JR said the team was poorly constructed, and it looks like he was right, however I've seen little evidence of the new management team rectifying the issues, which were blatantly obvious last season and previous to that. 

If they feel reconstructing the won't be possible until Myers is off the Books, why don't they just ship him out now for a pick or young prospect, and let the chips fall where they may fall. 

That would/should be the first step (OEL is going nowhere). 

They could also go full Monty with a stealth tank, as we have lots of parts that would be of great value to others. 
compared to other teams like Sharks we should be able to sell 'stuff' to give us good draft picks and prospects a few years away?

Standing pat is getting us nowhere by the look of it. 

I hate the thought of tanking, and feel its like cheating, but wasn't headless hockey with nothing new in sight seems even worse. 

Fewl like I'm in a 'Star Wars' movie and feeling the pull of the dark side...

My real concern is Petey is not going to hang around for this...(I've stated this nummerous times). We are not even a proper play off team, and a rebuild...I just can't see him fancying that at all.

So maybe now is the time to take the Bull by the horns and get a real haul for Petey, Bo and maybe even QH?

Boeser will bring some, don't expect a major haul (maybe with retension)

Miller, while playing like this won't bring the moon.

The rest? Somethings here and there, and just hold on to the parts that doesn't fetch anything until their contracts runs out. 

I need to go for walk or forget about this for a day. Its depressing to know, that in order to get a challanging team, we have to start all over again... and even then, we know that we'll get screwed at the draft as usual, while the original 6, the Darlings of the NHL, and the project teams gets flooded with top 2 picks. 

What to do, what to do...

Bake Off Eye Roll GIF by The Great British Bake Off

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

I'm so pissed off..It's like we can't even draft properly let alone getting a high draft pick..Almost like something has to go wrong because We're all Canucks.

Maybe we could draft better if we stopped trading away picks and added extra ones instead?  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Maybe they can get the team singing Christmas carols! Get them in the festive mood and come to play hockey

I think I still have that horrible album; mine's at least 60 years old.

At least it's in the bin marked "Throw Away!"

(No digital remastering back then - no digital anything. 

They sped up the recoring to make the voices sound like chipmunks but didn't have the technology to keep it all in tune etc. 

Bloody awful racket.)

Play it as a punishment instead; get 'em mad as hornets; that's the proper mindset for hockey!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1