The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Hogs is this generations Mason Raymond with even less finish. No thanks 

If we put a rock in front of the net, there would be a better chance of the puck glancing of the rock and going in than it going in off Hoglanders stick.  I 100% think a rock has more finish than him.  I've never seen a player so lost with the puck, he would be more useful if he just skated into the corner and sat down.  

Edited by BCNate
  • RoughGame 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Every bone in my body says Bo is as good as gone...

Had we started on fire 'as a team' management may have seen it differently, but I'd be hugely surprised, if they are going to give Bo a similar contract to Miller, despite him tearing it up just now, after Miller reminding everyone, last year was a contract year....

The team isn't burning the house down. Bo is doing his part, the rest.... not so much so. 

I will always cheer for a Canucks win, but I think its slowly dawning on me, that this is just the same old, same old...

I like the players, and I love the team, but they do not fuction as a unit. 
This is exactly where we were last season under Green and Benning. 

JR said the team was poorly constructed, and it looks like he was right, however I've seen little evidence of the new management team rectifying the issues, which were blatantly obvious last season and previous to that. 

If they feel reconstructing the won't be possible until Myers is off the Books, why don't they just ship him out now for a pick or young prospect, and let the chips fall where they may fall. 

That would/should be the first step (OEL is going nowhere). 

They could also go full Monty with a stealth tank, as we have lots of parts that would be of great value to others. 
compared to other teams like Sharks we should be able to sell 'stuff' to give us good draft picks and prospects a few years away?

Standing pat is getting us nowhere by the look of it. 

I hate the thought of tanking, and feel its like cheating, but wasn't headless hockey with nothing new in sight seems even worse. 

Fewl like I'm in a 'Star Wars' movie and feeling the pull of the dark side...

My real concern is Petey is not going to hang around for this...(I've stated this nummerous times). We are not even a proper play off team, and a rebuild...I just can't see him fancying that at all.

So maybe now is the time to take the Bull by the horns and get a real haul for Petey, Bo and maybe even QH?

Boeser will bring some, don't expect a major haul (maybe with retension)

Miller, while playing like this won't bring the moon.

The rest? Somethings here and there, and just hold on to the parts that doesn't fetch anything until their contracts runs out. 

I need to go for walk or forget about this for a day. Its depressing to know, that in order to get a challanging team, we have to start all over again... and even then, we know that we'll get screwed at the draft as usual, while the original 6, the Darlings of the NHL, and the project teams gets flooded with top 2 picks. 

What to do, what to do...

Bake Off Eye Roll GIF by The Great British Bake Off

Totally understand.   It just needs to start with one trade and go from there.   I think both Myers and Pearson are easy enough to unload at the TDL, Myers with retention.   

Both TO and OTT blew up their roster. TO - Lou "we had to work awfully hard to get the best odds for number one (Mathews)" .   OTT had a team that was one goal from the final.   It turned into a total gong show.   But they certainly had assets, and they ended up with a crazy number of picks despite losing Byram.  Plus that team actually does consistently hit on later picks.   Hard not to respect that. 

Getting pretty close to feeling like Brass is gaslighting the fanbase.  

Horvat i think should be traded too.  Miller vs Horvat is totally childish, and we have the room for both.   But why should we?   

I still have a tiny bit of hope.  It's not squashed completely...five games.   We better see 3 wins and full efforts each game or fuck them all.   I'm tired of pumping players tires that haven't done squat.   EP included. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BCNate said:

-Hoglander is not a good hockey player.  He is useless out there.  I think his rokie season was a case of "somebody on the team is going to get points".  He was awful last night.

-Podkolzin is looking terrible right now.  I think both him and Hoglander need some time in the AHL right now.

-Pearson look lost out there right now.  He has alwayss been a opretty vanilla guy, that is just a solid pro hockey player.  Not sure why he is so off.

-OEL looks atrotious,  Myers looks worse.

-Miller could do nothing last night, he looked slow, couldn't take a pass, nor could he make one.

-Demko gave up a huge rebound on the 2nd goal, but had no chance on the others.

-Mykheyev, Kuzmkeo, EP looked dangerous all night.  No finish whatsoever though. Petey had an open shot in the slot and put it up in the netting ( wrong neeting).  They ned to be better.  NJ buried their chances, we didn't, that was the ballgame.

-Bear and Studnicka looked just fine, I do like both those deals.

Schenn had one of the best shifts I have ever seen.  Two questionable hits from behind, then a fight that was straight ground and pound.  Somehow we got a PP, and gave up a shorty.

Love the Jerseys though.  

Devils and Sabres look like the real deal.  Anyone sleeping in the East better watch out, I think there are two less seats at the playoff table this year.

I think a major trade is incoming before next weeks eastern swing

The reason they all look bad is because the Devils team is so fast.

I said this last week.  Speedier teams in the east will destroy the Canucks because they are not built for speed.  The newer younger NHL teams coming up all have the same components.  Skilled speedy players.  

We don't have that.  Hughes made a fool of Myers last night.  Hischier jogged our entire blue line.  That's all their is to it.  

Teams we SHOULD be able to beat we will struggle like mad with because we can not compete with speedier teams, by and large these teams we should be able to beat are speedy teams

• Vintage 2
  • There it is 1

Just now, DarthMelvin said:

What's worse is that we gave Miller a huge contract based on the fact that he was the only contributor in goals. LOL Bad management. 

We had opportunity to trade Miller at the 2022 

TDL in a rebuilding move.  We pulled him from the market two weeks prior to the deadline and announced we were going to extend him.  Who was behind that?  IMHAO it was our owner. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Horvat i think should be traded too.  Miller vs Horvat is totally childish, and we have the room for both.   But why should we?   

When speaking of childish...Miller comes to mind. I would trade Miller before Bo easy.

Bo 2 goals...Miller 2 assists on those goals BUT Anyone can pass to Bo from where miller stands... And didn't Miller cough up the puck on a weak pass attempt with our net empty?

11 minutes ago, BCNate said:

-Pearson look lost out there right now.  He has alwayss been a opretty vanilla guy, that is just a solid pro hockey player.  Not sure why he is so off.

Former Stanley Cup winner, looks around himself.

Year after year, the team never improves.

Guy can feel father time getting closer, his career is getting shorter, and this team still sucks.

He has lost faith, and it is hard to blame him.

43 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Which have had many top 5 picks over the last few years. The Canucks never seem to fall into that bracket even with the third worst record on the season.

I'm probably one of the biggest fans of this team, and have been since the beginning. It seems I've only been teased every twelve or so years, but once, just once I'd like to see a SC parade in the streets of Vancouver. With this group of some very talented kids, there sure is something or someone missing.

Goal, we all thought Demko would be lights out, are they hiding an injury?

Defense, one or two pieces, but certainly not enough to challenge the elite teams.

Forwards, A very good top 6, and a decent bottom 6, but they struggle to get a vital goal, kill off a crucial penalty, and they aren't big enough to play deep into the playoffs.

I don't mind so much these deep dives into what might be wrong and how to go about improving the team.

But so many are just vitriol and chest-pounding ego trips by posters who think they know more than anybody.

And all the "I've had it with this team" posts are obviously bs cuz they're still here carping.

I love the Canucks, and CDC, and I'm not threatening to go anywhere; I just move on to hoping for a good game next game.

I've been here since the beginning of both, and agree with the poster who said something like,

"What Canucks fans want is a team that tries their best and plays as a team (and my preference is with talent and toughness).

So I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game and a better result and a more pleasant PGT after.

Cheers everyone!

GO CANUCKS GO!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gurn said:

Demko could be better, but Hasek wouldn't be looking like a Hall Of Famer, given our defense.

The deadly give aways, multiple odd man rushes against. Dude in net is lucky to still be alive, given how badly some of his teammates are getting beaten on plays.

No no Demko doesn’t get a pass here. Yesterday fine but any game before that he’s been just as much to blame as anyone else 

• Vintage 1

Just now, DarthMelvin said:

When speaking of childish...Miller comes to mind. I would trade Miller before Bo easy.

Bo 2 goals...Miller 2 assists on those goals BUT Anyone can pass to Bo from where miller stands... And didn't Miller cough up the puck on a weak pass attempt with our net empty?

You entirely missed my point.   I said there is room for both.   And the dialogue that Miller vs Horvat is childish. Unless the room is fractured then ok that's something else (Linden/Messier) but doubt that.    And why should we re-sign Horvat, if the existing team isn't good enough WITH Miller?   We shouldn't.    We have a stretch of easier games.    Much more of this .., well blow it up, pull the stink out from the stump. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We had opportunity to trade Miller at the 2022 

TDL in a rebuilding move.  We pulled him from the market two weeks prior to the deadline and announced we were going to extend him.  Who was behind that?  IMHAO it was our owner. 

Hmm, Im gonna say JR and Crew had that say....

But question: IMHAO - what does the HA stand for. I have thoughts lol

• Haha 2

The Devils were not only fast but big, they took care of our forwards down low & dominated the front of their net. It was hard to create chances & our PP was no help until the game was over.

I thought Ethan Bear looked good, I'd swap him & Myers.

Hoglander has been very ineffective this year, and Kuzmenko gets/creates chances but it never seems to result in a goal.

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You entirely missed my point.   I said there is room for both.   And the dialogue that Miller vs Horvat is childish. Unless the room is fractured then ok that's something else (Linden/Messier) but doubt that.    And why should we re-sign Horvat, if the existing team isn't good enough WITH Miller?   We shouldn't.    We have a stretch of easier games.    Much more of this .., well blow it up, pull the stink out from the stump. 

Your after thoughts do not mesh with your original statement. You also stated WHY SHOULD WE. To wit you explain here after my reply. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

No no Demko doesn’t get a pass here. Yesterday fine but any game before that he’s been just as much to blame as anyone else 

did you completely miss the part where I said

3 minutes ago, Devron said:

Demko could be better

?

I maintain, few goalies would look good with the way the team is going.

A goalie should not have to be a top 3 goalie in the league to have your team win games.

Demko has been playing poorly, his team has been terrible.

"Bubble" Demko gets this team 1, maybe two more points

so they would still suck.

29 minutes ago, Disgruntler said:
  • Trade Miller, retain $1.5
  • Trade Boeser
  • Sign Horvat
  • Trade Pearson, Garland, Hoglander for picks
  • Waive OEL, play Boner
  • Watch Bear, if he continues, extend
  • Does Schenn have an A? If not, give him one

Let's not retain salary on a long term contract.  Gillis was stupid enough to do this and it handicapped the franchise for almost a decade.  Any GM who even considers this needs to be fired on the spot 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Hmm, Im gonna say JR and Crew had that say....

But question: IMHAO - what does the HA stand for. I have thoughts lol

High Ass.   First thing that came to mind.  Alf gets a pass.   He's getting old and stuff.   I used to think LOL meant lots of love.    So get a text, someone died - LOL .. whoops. 

• Haha 3