The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Bruins Sign former Renounced Coyotes Draft Pick Mitchell Miller to ELC [UPDATE] BRUINS RESCIND CONTRACT

AngryElf

8 hours ago, suitup said:

Hahahha buddy, you have some of the worst takes I’ve ever seen. It’s honestly sad watching you try to defend this guy who probably doesn’t even care or know who you are. If you’re going to preach empathy, maybe try to start with empathizing with the victims in your grey world. 

As many others have stated, Miller has shown no remorse even years after the incident. You’re either completely out to lunch or maybe you just like the taste of urinal candy. If you’re insecure about it you should just say that instead of defending Miller’s actions. 

I dont think he’s defending his actions. Maybe I’ve missed something in this thread or in the story, but if this kid has made changes and tried to be a better person after being a complete piece of sh*t, he is defending a chance for change. If people f*ck up in this world and there is no chance given for change, what point is there for someone to change? May as well keep being a piece of sh*t. If he hasn’t changed or learned his lesson, then f*** him. 

We all empathize with the victim and these are/were kids at the time, not adults and for a kid to have his actions/behaviour go unpunished by adults, is sickening. If it is in fact true that the mother of the victim went to the school and reached out to the faculty members and school board and they turned a blind eye because Miller was a star player, that is more disturbing to me and there should be action taken against those who ignored this mothers plea for help.

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

Based on how this all played out, I may have gone from hating the Bruins to them being my favorite eastern team..

I bet this was a player uprising. 

Please leave this forum ASAP!  

:emot-parrot:

Edited by Heretic
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't hate then like I used to and I'm able to recognize that players like Bergeron, Chara, and Marchand who won against as are absolutely capable of being good people and humans.

If Crosby and MacKinnon think well of you that's pretty telling imo.

But yeah, I've loved the pushback from the players, it's not very often you'll see hockey players openly push back against management. If there's anything to be salvaged from this scenario it's that the players respect the fanbase and culture more than management does.

Haha i never hated them as people, i hated that they made it so my wife whos from calgary can still laugh about us not having won a stanley cup

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I believe in redemption and second chances - but if you read the story closely, the other kid that bullied went and made a full and tearful apology, and was forgiven.

This Mitchell kid didn't, and only started apologizing when it was convenient, and did not do so directly to the kid and his family (I will take their word over the bully's). 

Moreover - there is no "right" to play in the NHL. Similar to politicians and other public figures, society can and should hold professional athletes to a high standard. I don't buy the excuse that he was 14 years old. He didn't impulsively steal a chocolate bar, or blurt out something a bit mean. 

The only amends he could have made that in my view COULD be acceptable, would be falling on his knees and begging for his victims forgiveness, and immediately dedicating a large portion of his life to helping his victim overcome his suicidal thoughts. He would have to truly demonstrate that his actions were not indicative of who he is - show us that he has a huge amount of regret for his actions. You cant just say "im sorry" or go through some sensitivity training program. You need to actually care so much that you cant sleep knowing how much damage you did to another human being. 

Not this nonsense apology that's designed to get him into the NHL. 

Mitchell is free to take his skills and make a great career out of ball hockey or something. 

This was a really great post, an emote didn't seem like enough to show that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I dont think he’s defending his actions. Maybe I’ve missed something in this thread or in the story, but if this kid has made changes and tried to be a better person after being a complete piece of sh*t, he is defending a chance for change. If people f*ck up in this world and there is no chance given for change, what point is there for someone to change? May as well keep being a piece of sh*t. If he hasn’t changed or learned his lesson, then f*** him. 

We all empathize with the victim and these are/were kids at the time, not adults and for a kid to have his actions/behaviour go unpunished by adults, is sickening. If it is in fact true that the mother of the victim went to the school and reached out to the faculty members and school board and they turned a blind eye because Miller was a star player, that is more disturbing to me and there should be action taken against those who ignored this mothers plea for help.

What you missed is that this kid has not made changes and did not try to be a better person. The guy had all the time to apologize anytime leading up to his court case, then from his court case to when his actions were made public, then from the time it was made public till now he only decided to send an apathetic apology through snapchat a week before he signed with the Bruins. That's him neglecting to apologize for YEARS. 

His agent said he has committed to working with different organizations and one of them (The Carnegie Institutions) put out a statement clarifying that they only submitted a request to work together this past summer and they haven't actually collaborated. His draft year was 2.5 years ago and only now he tried to work with these organizations? That's pretty sad and completely disingenuous. I am a believer of second chances but he hasn't even proven to be deserving of that. He honestly comes across as quite disgruntled about getting caught and feels entitled to play despite making a disabled kid lick urinal candy. That's not a "mistake" that's repetitive bullying for YEARS. People learn from "mistakes" and "one time incidents" but this is another level. 

No one is excusing the bystanders in this scenario, they're just not the ones handed a contract by the Bruins. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

It seems the only thing that can save his hockey career, is IF THE VICTIM GOES ON PUBLIC AND VOUCHES FOR HIM cause otherwise, his NHL career is over.  The pushback is understandable cause there is a lot of reports, that has questioned his motives. 

Anyways, I believe an act of kindness will do more to fix the lives of both individuals but I understand that the victim, has no obligation to help him.  A really sad situation but nothing new...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

One thing I’m curious about is how the Bruins were able to simply rescind the contract?

Wasn’t it already filed and registered? Was it a mutual termination (with Miller agreeing)? Or are clubs allowed a grace period where they can back out of deals, even after they are signed and registered with the league? Or were the Bruins simply able to cancel the deal sometime over the weekend before all the paperwork actually went through with Central Registry?

It’s not something I’ve really come across before or read about in the CBA. I’m just curious how rescission of signed NHL contracts actually works? 

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

One thing I’m curious about is how the Bruins were able to simply rescind the contract?

Wasn’t it already filed and registered? Was it a mutual termination (with Miller agreeing)? Or are clubs allowed a grace period where they can back out of deals, even after they are signed and registered with the league? Or were the Bruins simply able to cancel the deal sometime over the weekend before all the paperwork actually went through with Central Registry?

It’s not something I’ve really come across before or read about in the CBA. I’m just curious how rescission of signed NHL contracts actually works? 

Could also be something to do with the league stating that he was ineligible.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

It seems the only thing that can save his hockey career, is IF THE VICTIM GOES ON PUBLIC AND VOUCHES FOR HIM cause otherwise, his NHL career is over.  Based on some reports, indicated the apology was a matter of convenient ?  I believe an act of kindness will do more to fix the lives of both individuals and but I understand that the victims' has no obligation to help him.  Really a sad situation but nothing new...

The victim was kind enough to accept the apology of the other bully because it was sincere. 

The mother shared that the victim still experiences suicidal thoughts as a result of this ordeal. 

It honestly seems good for society to have an example of how privilege and talent gets you nowhere if you're a s*** person. The NHL and its teams taking a hard line on this tells me we're moving into a kinder, more compassionate world. Let this kid be an example to everyone who thinks they're more valuable because of their skin color, skills, popularity, etc.

Bruins players taking a stand on this is also huge. I can raise my kids watching hockey, and show them examples of how their heroes, these professional athletes, are choosing to do whats right instead of what's in their own self interest. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

The victim was kind enough to accept the apology of the other bully because it was sincere. 

The mother shared that the victim still experiences suicidal thoughts as a result of this ordeal. 

It honestly seems good for society to have an example of how privilege and talent gets you nowhere if you're a s*** person. The NHL and its teams taking a hard line on this tells me we're moving into a kinder, more compassionate world. Let this kid be an example to everyone who thinks they're more valuable because of their skin color, skills, popularity, etc.

Bruins players taking a stand on this is also huge. I can raise my kids watching hockey, and show them examples of how their heroes, these professional athletes, are choosing to do whats right instead of what's in their own self interest. 

I get it - but I am so not sure, being canceled will lead to a kinder society cause the Miller types do exist and canceling them socially, will not make them disappear.  After reading more into the situation, I can understand how this is all playing out for him and he has no else to blame.  A really sad situation and nothing new but I still believe an act of kindness will do more to heal the wounds vs being canceled.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I am so not sure, being canceled will lead to a kinder society cause the Miller types do exist and will always exist.  After reading more into the situation, I can understand how this is all playing out for him and he has no else to blame.  A really sad situation and nothing new but I still believe an act of kindness will do more to heal the wounds vs being canceled. 

except he isn't being cancelled. Its called consequences and personal responsibility. If we start calling things 'cancel culture' when someone hasn't made the effort to make things right then we're really in trouble as a society. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1