The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Severson is just a lateral band-aid from Myers. Not the answer IMO. Cap included.

If it was up to me, we'd but the bullet and just move Miller (extension be damned), Garland (Hoglander can take over that role for cheaper) and let Boeser play his way back to some trade value (and wait to see if McDonaugh/Kuz can cover his point production).

Going to have to get creative to fix the D though. Either take some chances on younger, unproven guys as returns for Miller/Garland/Boeser, or for the futures we get for those guys. Also will need to keep taking cheap gambles on guys like Bear, Dermott etc and see if they can level up. Keep targeting undrafted college/Euro guys as well and try to find out next "Tanev". And here's a though... Maybe draft and develop a couple as well...

We agree on most things, but I don't get your preference of boeser over Garland.  Garland drives the play, makes players around him better and works his tail off every shift........and he's cheaper than Boeser.  Any retool they do, should include keeping Garland, imo.

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

We agree on most things, but I don't get your preference of boeser over Garland.  Garland drives the play, makes players around him better and works his tail off every shift........and he's cheaper than Boeser.  Any retool they do, should include keeping Garland, imo.

It's not a preference of Boeser over Garland. It's a Hoglander can do much of the same things (or develop them), for less than half the price "preference". We don't need two small, shifty, pesky players (proven by them rotating in and out of the press box). And the cap savings can go to fixing our other glaring holes (3C, 1RHD, 2RHD).

As I said in that post, I'm not opposed to moving Boeser at all once McDonaugh shows up, we extend Kuz, Boeser is healthy and regained trade value etc. 

Separate situations. Not one vs the other. Just like I've never been "Horvat vs Miller". I move Miller simply because he doesn't fit it time line and cap situation. If there was no cap, I'd happily keep both as they're both good players. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 4

Just now, grandmaster said:

I’m conjunction with a sub or defence. Our franchise defender is playing like he belongs in the AHL.

What's baffling is the D has been suffering, along with the goaltending, and JR/PA will go out and get a bottom 6 forward :blink:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

At some point.....not sure where or when that point is....we have to start blaming the players. Multiple coaches, multiple GM's etc. and the on ice product is the same. This roster isn't bad, the blue line is thin yes but this forward group should be good enough to compete better with good goaltending. The roster is underperforming, I know it's league standard to blame coaches and GM's but the players are often the problem, maybe the roster does have to be blown up with the exception of a few core players....that's how all the other teams have done it that are on an upward trajectory around us while we are stale. This fan base, whether they like it or not will have to accept that there will be a point where we will have to full blown rebuild if nothing changes, I would personally rather watch a team struggle and play poorly knowing there's lots of cap room and high picks and exciting young players coming rather than watch a team struggle with multiple pricey contracts that has no cap room to improve.

HOw can the players be the problem when its the GM who builds the team?

this GM signed Miller and Boeser and traded for Stillman

I agree the players need changing

BUt if the new GM signs all the same players to long contracts, how does changing the GM help?

If the new GM doesn't find a new #2 RD or two what was the point of changing the GM or the coach?

If the best he can do is find Ethan Bear and Riley Stillman, he is no better than the old GM

the question is, is this GM, Patrik Alvin capable of re-inventing this team?

Or is he only capable of tweaking the edges?

So far he has not shown the ability to make the changes necessary

I do not have any faith in this our fourth consecutive rookie GM

47 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I know, I dont understand the Nickelback either.

And trading Miller is the wrong move. Big mistake. 

The Nickelback is obscene. :sick: Gross ... Like really an Alberta slime band ... what on earth are they thinking?

We disagree on Miller ... but I appreciate where you're coming from. I just think sometimes folks need to accept reality. In my eyes we're no where ready to compete and need some major restructuring and have for several years. By the time we get there JT will be a detriment cap wise.

He's a great player offensively for a win now team and clutch as well but a massive floater in my eyes. Not a fan of his constantly cheating on the offensive side of the puck and giving up on plays. Not a good example or teacher for the younger players. It's already rubbing off on Petey with his hotdogging and giveaways for shorthanded goals against. With his contract we don't have the cap to fix the areas that need fixing.

Edit: In my opinion if JT skated an extra 5 feet to mark his man goal side and then hustled to get back in the play on the offensive side he'd be much better. If that means he's a little tired and has to sub sooner that's even better. He stays out on the ice for super long shifts because he doesn't put in the effort on the defensive side of the puck. Hurts everyone.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, lmm said:

BUt if the new GM signs all the same players to long contracts, how does changing the GM help?

If the new GM doesn't find a new #2 RD or two what was the point of changing the GM or the coach?

If the best he can do is find Ethan Bear and Riley Stillman, he is no better than the old GM

Go after Carlo.

This road trip could tell the tale for the season. 5 games. By the finish the 20 game plateau will be close. Many GM's will be looking at their rosters to see if they should upgrade. I don't see Vancouver beating out Vegas-Oilers or Flames so is a wild card spot possible? I doubt that too. Sorry. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, lmm said:

Because when said GM assembles a roster of good players (or adds to), and on paper that roster should perform well and many of those players individually are not playing well or as good as they could be I don't see how you can just automatically blame the GM while players have impunity? These players are being paid millions of dollars.

The coach we have has a proven history of winning, in fact is one of the winningest coaches in the history of the league, we have a hall of fame President....at some point it's on the players. Allvin hasn't been the GM very long, if Benning had 7 seasons to put his stamp on the team it sure doesn't seem reasonable to write off Allvin in less than a full season. PA and JR haven't been here very long at all...

The fans that are frustrated that Allvin hasn't completely turned this team around in 1 off season with little to no cap room at no fault of his own don't understand hockey, the " Allvin isn't a good G.M because he hasn't completely fixed 7 years of bad cap management, poor assets management and bad contracts he didn't sign" holds zero water and lacks all logic.

Edited by Harold Drunken

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

If anyone here can take a minute to vote for a fellow CDC’er it would be a great help. The voting is all tied up and it’s going to take every vote possible.

Please vote for Chad's (AKA Roberts') jersey design 15 times by using this link: https://contests.chl.ca/yourteamyourjersey/victoria 

Thank you! And thank you to anyone who takes the time to help me out. Your time is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Roberts

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Nearly every single one of our is in retaliation to an illegal hit that never got called while we end up short handed as well.

With that said I'd like to do some sort of crazy package of Miller to Nash for jeannot so we can up that number ^_^

• RoughGame 1

26 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Nearly every single one of our is in retaliation to an illegal hit that never got called while we end up short handed as well.

With that said I'd like to do some sort of crazy package of Miller to Nash for jeannot so we can up that number ^_^

Feel free to hate Miller all you want, that’s your opinion but to offer up a trade suggestion like this is just asinine. This post makes my blood boil. I’m done with CDC for today.