The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens | Nov. 09, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Goaltending needs to be at least average for this to work. We don’t have that right now. Spencer needs to step in till Dem figures his game out. 

The PK is also one the biggest issue with this team. Figure that out and we have more wins than losses. 

Exactly. This throw out the baby with the bathwater fire sale idea some have is drastic but maybe deal with issues in an isolated rather than big picture way. Focus on fixing the things that are broken without having it be something that involves changing the entire face of the team. Start there then work outward.

I also kind of laugh when people refer to us not having a competitive team since 2011....yet some of those people were the same ones ripping that team too. I remember it well...facing the wrath of the Bieksa/Burrows haters who wanted them gone back then. Sedins were too soft, etc. Yet now they cite them as special, back then they did anything but. Grass is always greener club.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Are Calgary and St. Louis?

I'm not a Calgary or St Louis fan, so really don't care.

That said I'd say Calgary makes the play offs, while I'm dubious about St Louis.

The Blues are further out of a spot, and have better teams to compete against- so not trending well.

• Cheers 2

I hope that they’ve told Myers to keep his game simple.

Let Hughes move the puck up the ice and don’t go past the other teams blueline.

I swear we get in more trouble when Myers has flashbacks to his Calder days when he could actually create offense.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

If they can solve the PK and play their aggressive forechecking style, this team will be successful. It doesn’t matter how you get there, in the end, a win is a win. We just need better than just average or below average goaltending for this to work.

Sorry but no they won't. This team sucks. Way to many defensive floaters (Miller/Boeser) and no defence. Recipe for disaster. It's not even Demko's fault. We're just a horribly flawed and constructed hockey team.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I hope that they’ve told Myers to keep his game simple.

Let Hughes move the puck up the ice and don’t go past the other teams blueline.

I swear we get in more trouble when Myers has flashbacks to his Calder days when he could actually create offense.

Myers is or at least was decent with 15-18 min of ice time. He can keep it simple. With more ice time, more danger for him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

It would be so typical Canucks if they came out and thrashed the leafs on national TV so optimism comes back. Heck they might even beat Boston. we all jump back on the bandwagon.  And then they get killed by Buffalo 

A couple wins doesn't change the structural and succession issues this roster has, clear cap space, or increase organizational depth.

This team is not a cup contender.

I'll always be a Canuck fan, but this roster needs some surgery and a well executed plan to actually build something. This isn't it. Regardless of a couple of wins/being 3 points out of a playoff spot.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Exactly. This throw out the baby with the bathwater fire sale idea some have is drastic but maybe deal with issues in an isolated rather than big picture way. Focus on fixing the things that are broken without having it be something that involves changing the entire face of the team. Start there then work outward.

I also kind of laugh when people refer to us not having a competitive team since 2011....yet some of those people were the same ones ripping that team too. I remember it well...facing the wrath of the Bieksa/Burrows haters who wanted them gone back then. Sedins were too soft, etc. Yet now they cite them as special, back then they did anything but. Grass is always greener club.

Either way it would be nice if they did something ... anything. I don't really care which way they go. Basically they're just waiting for two years until we get out of cap debt without telling the fans they're doing nothing in the meantime. But hey City of Vancouver feel free to waste $700 taking the family out to a circus sideshow in the meantime.

41 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Exactly what I think!

Yep, nailed it.

Thing is, how can they ignore the turnaround under Bruce's coaching (they can't/shouldn't). They're pinpointing him but what about his assistant coaches and the roles they're playing? What if they're going completely against what Bruce says/does...that was starting to work with this group? Undoing all that he did to, first and foremost, build their confidence and allow them to just "play". I hear coaches with a bunch of orders being barked out but can we examine their roles/coaching too because perhaps their messages aren't clear/concise and are confusing the team more than helping them. Let's face it, with coaching ego can get in the way. Someone's ideas are their own but maybe they're not best suited to a team.

Bruce was getting these guys to succeed....not sure why we're not looking at what happened after that for answers (as well)?

If I was stranded on a desert island surrounded by great white sharks with this guy I would slit my wrists and jump in the water  can you say TOXIC! 

A40623D6-6BA5-44BF-877D-2D0433CC518C.jpeg

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Id take Nurse here.   He makes the odd gaffe but physically he is excellent.   Great skater, plays hard, heavy and battles all game long.  

You would take Nurse at 9.2 million dollars for another 7 years? Talk about having an anchor of a contract. Nurse at 7.5 million for 7 more years is asking alot! There are 20 other defensemen I take before him at that cost. Makar at 9 milllion for 5 more years is a slap in the face to Edmonton having to sign Nurse for 9.2. McAvoy at 9.5 for 7 years is better by miles. Nurse is not worth 9.2 at 7 years. Nurse is being over paid by 2 million at that length of contract. Nurse is being paid like a top 10 defenceman and he is maybe in the top 20.

Edited by vancan2233

12 minutes ago, chon derry said:

If I was stranded on a desert island surrounded by great white sharks with this guy I would slit my wrists and jump in the water  can you say TOXIC! 

A40623D6-6BA5-44BF-877D-2D0433CC518C.jpeg

Could I suggest a moment of sober, second thought?

Perhaps the alternative, of slitting his wrists and throwing him in the water, is a better option?

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

Could I suggest a moment of sober, second thought?

Perhaps the alternative, of slitting his wrists and throwing him in the water, is a better option?

I do not get it, where has all this hate for this man come from? What back ground story did I miss? People are making him out to be "Trump the orange turd". Atricles on his wrong doing? Is this just a whipping boy for some of this fan base?

Edited by vancan2233

20 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Either way it would be nice if they did something ... anything. I don't really care which way they go. Basically they're just waiting for two years until we get out of cap debt without telling the fans they're doing nothing in the meantime. But hey City of Vancouver feel free to waste $700 taking the family out to a circus sideshow in the meantime.

I would just be happy if the management group had a vision, told the fans what the vision is, and made strides to make that happen.
Right now they seem to be serving multiple masters. Before the offseason, JR said the plan was to get younger, acquire draft picks, and improve the D and none of the moves they made seemed to point in that direction. They go and re-sign Miller to a massive extension and a couple months later iterate that the plan is to "build around the young core".
All I want to know is what the plan is going to be so the fans can temper their expectations around it. Right now, it seems like they're winging it day to day. Benning 2.0.