The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tank Hard for Bedard - Playoff chances are already Slim

Rate this topic

Provost

12 hours ago, Baggins said:

Gillis inherited a 9 situation to Bennings 1. In my 60+ years I've never seen a GM inherit a worse situation. Even expansion teams in the 90's got to start with a top draft pick, some younger players worth keeping around, and some middling prospects from farm teams. Benning had Tanev, the only player under 27 worth keeping, and a barren farm team. But that's what happens with seven years of fruitless drafting (the last Nonis draft was a complete bust). 

Gillis inherited a situation similar to Bennings? B.S.  Benning had only Bo and a couple of other pieces. The cupboards were bare. Gillis had a core built from Nonis and Burke.

In the end every Vancouver GM has had flaws. Quinn would trade, Nonis could draft, Benning sort of could draft but couldn't manage a team or cap or get the right mix.

Gillis made some moves, but couldn't draft. (Bo exception) Gillis also used NMC's like no tomorrow. But he could handle the cap.

We're certainly not going to lose out and that's not good for anyone anyhow.

I think it's a real stretch to think we'll get Bedard....but one can hope. It's just some in this fanbase will scream that it's a complete failure in a Bedard or bust way if when we don't get him.  But we should set realistic expectations...chances will be slim.

I still take great consolation in losses though....wins are great but losses have a silver lining for sure. 

I don't follow the prospects much at all...any good d men in the mix?

I like a guy who's name has smash in it (Dmitri Simashev) but he's way down the list. Any ideas of who we should target when we don't get Bedard? I'd love people's feedback as I know nothing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I think it's a real stretch to think we'll get Bedard....but one can hope. It's just some in this fanbase will scream that it's a complete failure in a Bedard or bust way if when we don't get him.  But we should set realistic expectations...chances will be slim.

I still take great consolation in losses though....wins are great but losses have a silver lining for sure. 

I like a guy who's name has smash in it (Dmitri Simashev) but he's way down the list. Any ideas of who we should target when we don't get Bedard? I'd love people's feedback as I know nothing.

@HighOnHockey is really good at the prospects. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

At this point, I'm happy if the team dedicates the remainder of the year developing team character, consistency,

defensive structure; playing the right way.  I like what I see/hear what the coaches and trainers are doing with

the players; individually and as a team.  Utilizing the final games to analyze the team and determine how they

are progressing and which players are on board.

I like that the pressure to make the playoffs is gone and it appears to me that the boys are enjoying hockey

more; likely due to having a focussed plan moving forward.

I'm not fixated on the Bedard lotto, but if the Nucks can hang onto a top 5 position, I would be thrilled.  Imo, they

desperately need a quality C (that isn't too far off from the NHL), a promising RD (might find him with the NYI pick).

I would love it if they could claim another (late) first and 2nd to make the upcoming draft significant for the future

of the team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I would love Bedard to be able to play for his hometown team. We've never had lottery luck so it will be a nice change. Lots  of other young talent in this draft so i hope we do finish in the bottom 4 and get a high prospect. Be great to find a defensive dman too, dream for me would be trading the isles pick for a later 1st one plus a second and getting dvorsky late and then adding a real solid size blueliner - don't care if he is not a scorer. With EPD i don't want another offensive first euro.

With Demko surely done for the year and hopefully at least one more sell by the TDL, we can make a real push for 4th last. Bottom 3 seems out of reach (unless we trade Miller?), but San Jose can certainly catch us.

I know we'd never throw games but we have 6 points worth against Anaheim alone. 

Seriously though it's good to see Arizona on a point streak, good for them, crawling their way out of a top pick at just the right time. That franchise will take any sort of winning as a positive though, they don't need the high pick.

18 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

I would love Bedard to be able to play for his hometown team. We've never had lottery luck so it will be a nice change. Lots  of other young talent in this draft so i hope we do finish in the bottom 4 and get a high prospect. Be great to find a defensive dman too, dream for me would be trading the isles pick for a later 1st one plus a second and getting dvorsky late and then adding a real solid size blueliner - don't care if he is not a scorer. With EPD i don't want another offensive first euro.

With the Barzel injury, the Islanders may flounder; ending up in the top 10.  In that case, they can choose to

take it or let the Nucks have it.  From what I've heard, next year's draft is as strong as this year, so having

the 1st unprotected could end up good for our team as well.

If they do get the NYI's 1st (+12th) the Canucks might pick up Reinbacher; especially if they score big in

the lotto and pick up one of the big Centres.  Having the 2 firsts gives them more flexibility for trading up/down

if they are targeting a particular player. Dvorsky has been moving up in the draft and is looking like a mid-pick

first now, but he is also a player the Canucks might want.

I don't know if they can get a late first, but trading for another 2nd round pick would help with the RD search.

I haven't looked at the 2nd round for this draft, but it seems that every year there are gems that are

uncovered.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

With the Barzel injury, the Islanders may flounder; ending up in the top 10.  In that case, they can choose to

take it or let the Nucks have it.  From what I've heard, next year's draft is as strong as this year, so having

the 1st unprotected could end up good for our team as well.

If they do get the NYI's 1st (+12th) the Canucks might pick up Reinbacher; especially if they score big in

the lotto and pick up one of the big Centres.  Having the 2 firsts gives them more flexibility for trading up/down

if they are targeting a particular player. Dvorsky has been moving up in the draft and is looking like a mid-pick

first now, but he is also a player the Canucks might want.

I don't know if they can get a late first, but trading for another 2nd round pick would help with the RD search.

I haven't looked at the 2nd round for this draft, but it seems that every year there are gems that are

uncovered.

At #12 the NYI get to hold while the wheel turns. If they drop down they can exercise the pick. I would be surprised if they didn't keep it. 

Canucks at #6 or better leaves to opportunity to drop up or down. I agree that Dvorsky is a big C and could be brought to Abby since he is a Euro. Really liked his game at the WJC. Hopefully Canucks drop to 4/5 and luck out on the lottery and get Bedard. That would be incredible.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

At #12 the NYI get to hold while the wheel turns. If they drop down they can exercise the pick. I would be surprised if they didn't keep it. 

Canucks at #6 or better leaves to opportunity to drop up or down. I agree that Dvorsky is a big C and could be brought to Abby since he is a Euro. Really liked his game at the WJC. Hopefully Canucks drop to 4/5 and luck out on the lottery and get Bedard. That would be incredible.  

If we do select 1st round this year with the Islanders pick I see us selecting Dvorsky and Sandin Pellikka. 

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That would have been true before we beat the Flyers.

A win by them and we’ll be 1 point back of fourth. Still closing in.

After the Ducks earning a point  the best outcome today would be a Flyers and Sharks win. This won't mean anything if those teams choke and lose and if Silovs steals another win tomorrow 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Is there a date yet as to when they do the lottery? Or how long after they usually do it?

First time I’ve really been interested in watching the lottery.

May 10 I believe.. err not sure if it has been announced yet. It was May 10th last year for the 2022 draft.

and just for fun... took about 10 trys. we got 2nd  three times before then though..

image.png.9ec7c7efa6b3fa50fdae0b60033e795f.png

Edited by Chicken.
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1