The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Garland + Prospect for Meier

RWJC

Should the team continue trending upwards and it looks as though another Hail Mary wildcard spot is the direction this team decides to take again AND, (major rationale for this proposal), if they re-sign Bo, thoughts on?:

Garland and a solid prospect for Meier

Saves SJ some cap space, brings in a tangible F (but lesser replacement in Garland who is RW while Meier is LW) adds a decent prospect to their depth pool, essentially becoming a step forward in the club’s reconstruction. 

This would solidify current top 6 if Hogz can’t maintain on the Horvat line. 

If palatable, who is the prospect we would have to deal? Is Garland and a prospect even enough considering Meier is only 26, just locked in at a decent contract (6mill/4 years), and has maintained as a PPG player since last season. That’s said, he’s also due a signing bonus each year from 3 mill down to 2 mill per. That makes him pricey, so is a deal for him worth it?

The other problem is this doesn’t address D at all and trading out F for D should be the focus. I also think if you complete and identify your top 6, then it immediately frees up some other assets towards D deals, including Boeser, Hogs, Pearson, etc…

Read speculation that Meier will be dealt for a bit less than what Debrincat fetched, so perhaps this offer isn’t enough.

Anyway, thoughts?

Edited by RWJC

33 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They'd be asking for Lekkerimaki.  We need D; this makes fixing that issue even harder.

To a degree it’s a lateral move, but one the defines the top 6 without the constant juggling of where trying to fit BB6 and Garland. 

I think Garland + Boner maybe gets the conversation going. Again, need to keep as many D prospects as possible and to accumulate that as well. 

I don’t know, just think we should have a semi-permanent top 6 and then adjust the bottom 6 as necessary to eliminate redundancy and identify the types of players we do need in that space.

We already know the cost of a top 2-4 Dman, so that can be addressed in offseason if need be. At very least, with the glut of redundancy we have at F and now D, we should be able to ascertain who are the definite pieces to sell and look to exchange quantity for some quality. 

hence this proposal. 

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

This just compacts problems for us. Doesn’t make any sense honestly 

How? Hogz shifts down into lower 6. Both EP’s and Bo’s lines are complete. 
We utilize what we have to either establish a tertiary scoring/2 way line and a dominant checking line. 

the redundancies will be distilled from that and then we have our trade block established and prepared for the deadline (barring injury) where we absolutely have to be capitalize this year. 

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

How? Hogz shifts down into lower 6. Both EP’s and Bo’s lines are complete. 
We utilize what we have to either establish a tertiary scoring/2 way line and a dominant checking line. 

the redundancies will be distilled from that and then we have our trade block established and prepared for the deadline (barring injury) where we absolutely have to be capitalize this year. 

We would be compounding our cap problems. We don’t even have space to sign Horvat and Kuzmenko as it is. I guess I don’t follow.. we are taking on more cap in hopes we can trade the scrap pieces? 

1 hour ago, Devron said:

We would be compounding our cap problems. We don’t even have space to sign Horvat and Kuzmenko as it is. I guess I don’t follow.. we are taking on more cap in hopes we can trade the scrap pieces? 

*caveat is that if ownership/mgmt end up deciding to again remain with this core.

in essence you’d be locking up a top 6, which ultimately pushes out some tradable pieces and salary in BB6 and Garly. If you include Myers out, that’s 17.4 million (and a 5mill bonus do Myers) to finally pursue a top flight Dman.

the $$ increases to Bo and Kuz are afforded by moving out expensive bit players (for their role/TOI) in Pearson, etc, and perhaps moving out the salary of other redundancies on D.

it’s entirely doable. 
I prefer a rebuild, but this affords the continual push this ownership group seems to want to pursue.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RWJC said:

Should the team continue trending upwards and it looks as though another Hail Mary wildcard spot is the direction this team decides to take again AND, (major rationale for this proposal), if they re-sign Bo, thoughts on?:

Saves SJ some cap space, brings in a tangible F (but lesser replacement in Garland who is RW while Meier is LW) adds a decent prospect to their depth pool, essentially becoming a step forward in the club’s reconstruction. 

If palatable, who is the prospect we would have to deal? Is Garland and a prospect even enough considering Meier is only 26, just locked in at a decent contract (6mill/4 years), and has maintained as a PPG player since last season. That’s said, he’s also due a signing bonus each year from 3 mill down to 2 mill per. That makes him pricey, so is a deal for him worth it?

The other problem is this doesn’t address D at all and trading out F for D should be the focus. I also think if you complete and identify your top 6, then it immediately frees up some other assets towards D deals, including Boeser, Hogs, Pearson, etc…

Read speculation that Meier will be dealt for a bit less than what Debrincat fetched, so perhaps this offer isn’t enough.

Anyway, thoughts?

Meier is a RFA at the end of this season and due a 10 million qualifying offer. Hard pass

1 hour ago, CR7 said:

Meier is a RFA at the end of this season and due a 10 million qualifying offer. Hard pass

Ahh thanks, was looking at capfriendly and obviously suffering from dementia at the same time. 

sorry Timo, pass

6 hours ago, RWJC said:

Anyway, thoughts?

Need to be trading for decent RD man under 27 more then another forward..

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Need to be trading for decent RD man under 27 more then another forward..

Agreed, we shouldn't add another big-ticket forward.
If the Sharks aren't on Pearson's 7 team NTC list then I'd want the team to either trade for Simek (5'11, 200 lb. solid defensive D, $2.25 million * 2 years) or Matt Benning.

15 hours ago, RWJC said:

Ahh thanks, was looking at capfriendly and obviously suffering from dementia at the same time. 

sorry Timo, pass

4 @ 6M a year and I'm on board, but SJ handcuffed themselves with the deal they offered

• Cheers 1