The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] December 5 2022 - Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens - 7:30pm PT/10:30pm ET - Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

24 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean with the decisions this organization is making, tanking will take care of itself.

Playing our best D man over 30 minutes because you’re desperate for a win over the Coyotes in December…:picard:

So they should have played to lose and further worsening their record?

1 minute ago, CaptKirk888 said:

So they should have played to lose and further worsening their record?

Their record will get a lot worse if Hughes gets injured playing too much when he already has a nagging injury…

It’s not about playing to lose, it’s about not making short sighted decisions (which this organization struggles with)

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

11 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

These rumours have been around for more than a week before Elliotte mentioned them, LA has been in on Demko for quite awhile, Horvat and the team not talking contract is from the summer on, Schenn has always been the subject of desirable for a TDL deal, Boeser has been on the hot plate for a couple of weeks.

All this stuff is out there before Elliotte AND Dahli confirm they have substance.

Just because it doesn't play into the fan concept that if things stay the same they will be better or prizes are presents, just given away because it suits that fan's concept of continuity. Change happens or stagnation. There has been no change of significance for 4 years, pressure has been building.

If any of this is a surprise to some fans it is only because they aren't looking or depending upon very few sources. Ya, now someone says the name the sources crap, if you can't be bothered to look up yourself then maybe take the time to peruse the forum for when the thoughts of problems may have started or when the first mentions of trading started. If you can't be bothered to find information, current information and not the canned stuff spewed at every game or player interview why ask to satisfy your laziness. Did anyone ever find the Luongo trade demand from him and yet is was well known that happened but the player never said a word so why would any of the players say that now? There have been comments made like, "tired of all this losing" and Miller's "I want out" and Pettersson's "to see where the team is then, I want to play in the playoffs" now Pettersson knows enough that he can't do it all by himself so he must be referring to the entire team right?

So many fans want to believe these "professional mercenaries" want to stay here, why? Winning? What if the players don't want to be here how could they say that without words? How about inconsistency? Or padding their own stats? Stats players.

Enough of that vein of education;

The Canucks were plain lucky they won the last game, 8 power plays four really dumb penalties taken by the Yotes, 2 PP goals to win 3-2. As far as consistency they have been playing pretty much the same all along just getting a break from bad option goaltending, 2 goals on 3 shots type of thing and a goalie stealing a game. I know, Bruce's 32-15 -? record last year keeps being brought but the rest of the teams in the league took them lightly and there was the surge from a new coach being there, it didn't really mean that they were that good. If you believe that then why so bad for so long before? On purpose?

Sorry got away from the thread.

Montreal has is year one of a rebuild, they have a first line all younger than EP and their 2nd line younger than the Nucks.

They will not be taking delay of game penalties and too many men on the ice.

They are a bad match up for the Canucks, mind you many teams are but I think they win easily

Habs has the ability to showcase the future, whilst they tank to keep their fanbased engage; and their players are fully aware, that this year is about development.  Imo, this game will be like the game against the tanking Yotes and the Canucks will pull out another (meaningless/regular season) win.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think a lot of fans (most?) would be more than happy if our owner came out and announced that he's directed management to rebuild, and then said what the plan was.  

When the teams signs a FO longterm with full autonomy, then we can assume a real plan to win a cup, is coming.  The current FO, said all the right things but they are all signed to short term deals.  

3 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

These rumours have been around for more than a week before Elliotte mentioned them, LA has been in in Demko for quite awhile, Horvat and the team not talking contract is from the summer on, Schenn has always been the subject of desirable for a TDL deal, Boeser has been on the hot plate for a couple of weeks.

All this stuff is out there before Elliotte AND Dahli confirm they have substance.

Just because it doesn't play into the fan concept that if things stay the same they will be better or prizes are presents, just given away because it suits that fan's concept of continuity. Change happens or stagnation. There has been no change of significance for 4 years, pressure has been building.

If any of this is surprise to some fans it is only because they aren't looking or depending upon very few sources. Ya, now someone says the name the sources crap, if you can't be bothered to look up yourself then maybe take the time to peruse the forum for when the thoughts of problems may have started or when the first mentions of trading started. If you can't be bothered to find information, current information and not the canned stuff spewed at every game or player interview why ask to satisfy your laziness. Did anyone ever find the Luongo trade demand and yet is was well known that happened but the player never said a word so why would any of the player's say that now? There have been comments made like, "tired of all this losing" and Miller's "I want out" and Pettersson's "to see where the team is then, I want to play in the playoffs" now Pettersson knows enough that he can't do it all by himself so he must be referring to the entire team right?

So many fans want to believe these "professional mercenaries" want to stay here, why? Winning? What if the players don't want to be here how could they say that without words? How about inconsistency? Or padding their own stats? Stats players.

Enough of that vein of education;

The Canucks were plain lucky they won the last game, 8 power plays four really dumb penalties taken by the Yotes, 2 PP goals to win 3-2. As far as consistency they have been playing pretty much the same all along just getting a break form bad goaltending, 2 goals on 3 shots type of thing and a goalie stealing a game. I know Bruce's 32-15 -? record last year keeps being brought u but the rest of the teams in the league took them lightly and the was the surge from a new coach being there, it didn't really mean that they were that good. If you believe that then why so bad for so long before? On purpose?

Sorry got away from the thread.

Montreal has is year one of a rebuild, they have a first line all younger than EP and their 2nd line younger than the Nucks.

They will not be taking delay of game penalties and too many men on the ice.

They are a bad match up for the Canucks, mind you many teams are but I think they win easily

Many of us here follow the team closely enough to know if there's some truth to these reports.  Hell, VC is quicker with Canucks news than any "media" head out there.  You think ownership has green lit a rebuild?  Lot's of people want that to be true but history shows ownership has no appetite for a rebuild.  They even reported last month that ownership doesn't believe in a "rebuild" since they think they don't work.  So what is it? Rebuild or no rebuild?  Any schmo can "connect the dots" for a story, but reporters should report news, not speculate.  Fried and Dalli used to report just the facts or would preface with "i'm hearing".  Not anymore, they went straight from Boeser is a scratch to "Boeser has asked for a trade".  These guys now just throw crap at the wall to stir the pot for clicks and see what sticks.  Frank Seravalli with his huge wiffs on Canucks news comes to mind.  Let's face it, these guys are not "insiders".  No one has gotten the scoop on this management team so far and they canned the one person they thought was leaking news.  So all they can do is speculate to drive views for their shows as stirring up the Canucks fan base is an easy pump for clicks. eg. how quickly the Boeser thing grew.

I used to like both of them for their even keeled reporting.  Not so much anymore that it's gone to reporting speculation as facts and many fans are tired of it.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

If we trade our first I'll do what I did with Keenan and just find something else to do until management is replaced.

But what if it’s not the management that needs to be replaced but the guy who owns the team? It’s no coincidence that new management comes in and has made the same moves as the last one. It’s rather the teams philosophy/mandate  then the management. Why JR came out of retirement to be told what to do doesn’t make sense to me either but neither does what this management has said (improve the defense, get younger and don’t trade picks) and what this management has done (trade a 2nd and a 5th while not fixing the D at all other than bringing Bear and Stillman in). I agree if things don’t change direction and we keep trying the same thing here, I might need to go off and do something to invest in my money and time to save my sanity. Things have to change or fans will be disengaged and not believe what this brass has to say. 

54 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup. I'm with you that will be the last straw. Unless we use it to get a Dobson, or Nemeth into the system. I would be okay with that but no mediocre bs.

I guess it's a small victory. I kept thinking well it's alright we let Tanev go, now we're finally going to get some quality RD in that can defend and score. Hmmmm, nope not sure what on earth he was thinking. That's where I lost hope

I like Dobson a lot but even then I'd be pretty angry giving up this year's first.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think a lot of fans (most?) would be more than happy if our owner came out and announced that he's directed management to rebuild, and then said what the plan was.  

I would be thrilled if they chose some sort of direction.

Right now this team is in purgatory which is the worst place to be. We keep clinging onto faint hope with this team which is torture.

Just rip the band aid off and tell us you’re going to go through a rebuild. Call it a retool or a mini rebuild, I don’t care how they phrase it just choose a direction. Show some leadership.

Edited by DeNiro

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would be thrilled if they chose some sort of direction.

Right now this team is in purgatory which is the worst place to be. We keep clinging onto faint hope with this team which is torture.

Just rip the band aid off and tell us you’re going to go through a rebuild. Call it a retool or a mini rebuild, I don’t care how they phrase it just choose a direction. Show some leadership.

The Rangers did it right and fans accepted it.  The results speak for themselves.

• Cheers 2