The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

6 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

We'll see if this management is the first 5 minutes type or last 5 minute type 

Well, I think they got less for Bo than they should have because they didn't wait longer, so I hope they use the arms race in the east to their advantage 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Well, I think they got less for Bo than they should have because they didn't wait longer, so I hope they use the arms race in the east to their advantage 

Can’t really say.

The Isles could have backed out and acquired O’Reilly for cheaper if we were dragging our feet.

Who knows what other teams would have offered. Could Toronto have put together a better package? I’m not so sure.

Schenn scratched and sent back to Vancouver. Ouch. Poor guy, all he wanted was to re-sign in Vancouver and help a losing franchise win and we're going to ship him out too. I know we need to sell, but I was hoping we'd be able to shift guys like Boeser, Garland and Myers first. Not Bo and Schenn first. I get the former are harder to trade than the latter but it's a shame trading away our hardest workers and leaders away while we keep the scraps.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Man is it refreshing that our management are keen on getting shit done early rather than sleep until the last 5 minutes before the deadline.

What happened at last years TDL?

When do you have more leverage a month before the TDL or an hour before the TDL?

Waiting until just prior, gives you more leverage to pressure another GM into pulling the trigger and over paying. Teams that want to win and want to put themselves over the top will likely cave and overpay as the pressure mounts while the TDL is counting down.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Schenn scratched and sent back to Vancouver. Ouch. Poor guy, all he wanted was to re-sign in Vancouver and help a losing franchise win and we're going to ship him out too. I know we need to sell, but I was hoping we'd be able to shift guys like Boeser, Garland and Myers first. Not Bo and Schenn first. I get the former are harder to trade than the latter but it's a shame trading away our hardest workers and leaders away while we keep the scraps.

Perhaps nobody wants our scraps unless we add in sweeteners 

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

That wasn't the choice......he chose keeping Boeser over extending toffoli

Who says?  Toffoli and Virtanen's contracts were closer in value and were the same offseason.  Boeser's deal was already signed in 2019-2020 and almost $6 million so Toffoli didn't come into play at that time. 

Virtanen and Toffoli were both up in 2020 and $2.5 and around $4 million respectively.  If they had have not signed Virtanen, they could have afforded to fit in Toffoli.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hopefully it’s just a matter of short term pain for long term gain for both Schenn and the team. 
Team gets a second while Luke, his wife and newborn are all here in Van next fall for 23-24.

3rd round pick is a slap in the face for what Schenn brings to not just the team but the kids. Our drafting record is so rubbish, I'd rather we keep Schenn for a year or two while we have decent prospects coming up in the lineup for him to groom and teach how to play the right way. He's the perfect sentinel for Tocchet to get his message across young guys. We could have Rathbone, Hoglander, Raty and maybe even our 1st rounder in and out of the NHL next year - what better mentor than Schenn.

I'd accept a 2nd, we could get a decent player there, but a 3rd is pretty useless. Look at our last few 3rd rounders - not many NHLers there. Guys like Dipietro, Lockwood, Brisebois, Cole Cassels, Connauton, Rahimi - a bunch of guys who had so much hype and then never really cracked the NHL. Edler was a 3rd round pick but that's the only decent NHLer we've drafted in the 3rd round out of the last 40 years.

I'd hope Schenn is part of a bigger trade, for example using it to entice a team to take Myers, Boeser or Miller.

• Cheers 2

Incoming 4th round pick in 2025, a cap dump coming back and another big Canucks press / twitter feel good story on Canucks management and the evils of trading a committed player whose wife had just given birth a few weeks after firing Bruce 

image.gif.763e51aa7c009c97693268cb4edaf9c1.gif

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2