The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Top 10 picks should always end up as NHLers, and often top of the lineup players.  Not batting 50%.

Petterson was the grand slam, literally every pundit had Hughes to be taken in that spot if he fell that far so it was a no brainer.  That was a no brainer.  At least with Petterson, the prevailing sentiment was that there were a couple other guys that should have been taken earlier... and Benning beat the consensus on that.

Can't remember, but who did Detroit pick again?  Give credit where credit is due man.  The guy could have went with another player like the wings did.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hiring Benning for his scouting was fine in isolation, but letting him be the main hockey ops guy was a mistake and that's squarely on ownership. 

Geoff Moulson admitted that having a GM without a president was a huge mistake in Montreal. Aquaman never owned up. 

GM without a president was the issue. I think JB had a hardtime dealing with ownership, which affected his team construction and player evaluation. A good president, much like a good boss, supports you and shelters you from pressure from the next level. Without the layer, the workload is too high and pressures to immense.

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

GM without a president was the issue. I think JB had a hardtime dealing with ownership, which affected his team construction and player evaluation. A good president, much like a good boss, supports you and shelters you from pressure from the next level. Without the layer, the workload is too high and pressures to immense.

I think injuries played the biggest part in the lack of success

21 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

People need to be shown a list of other 5th and 7th overall picks to understand how likely it is to get a star there. It's not 100% or even 70% of the time. 

People need to read the posts they are commenting on…

I didn’t say all top ten picks end up as stars.  I said you should get an NHL player and often at the top end of the lineup from those picks.  If you are running at 50% on picks in that range, no one gets to call you a good scouting/draft guy.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

People need to read the posts they are commenting on…

I didn’t say all top ten picks end up as stars.  I said you should get an NHL player and often at the top end of the lineup from those picks.  If you are running at 50% on picks in that range, no one gets to call you a good scouting/draft guy.

Yeah, if you aren't getting a bona fide NHLer in the top 10-15 of the draft, you aren't drafting well. Bona Fide NHLer does not mean star, just an NHLer who is playing every night.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, greenbean30 said:

Yeah, if you aren't getting a bona fide NHLer in the top 10-15 of the draft, you aren't drafting well. Bona Fide NHLer does not mean star, just an NHLer who is playing every night.

To carify. By playing every night you mean hockey. Not playing Fortnight or playing in the clubs every night. Ahem, OJ, Jake.

• There it is 2

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

With all the grief he's been getting (labelled a "Twitter troll", multiple members here calling him "negative" and equating him to trash worse than trash, constant complaints about his style and content), it would be supremely hilarious (in my mind at least) if @-Vintage Canuck- were actually Thomas Drance.  :bigblush:

Vintage Canuck and Canucks media on FB, Twitter etc all post at like exact same time. Pretty sure VC is an employee 

3 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

Vintage Canuck and Canucks media on FB, Twitter etc all post at like exact same time. Pretty sure VC is an employee 

I thought I knew who, but that person no longer works for the Canucks. The Canucks social media team changed during the pandemic (due to layoffs).

17 minutes ago, dougieL said:

The OEL trade is asking you to hold its beer

This wasn't a defend JB post...its was that the Virtanen signing was an unforgivable offense. Very similar situations; a player playing below their draft position being rewarded. 

2 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

I assume the account would just be passed along.

The social media accounts, yes. But that sort of tosses a monkey wrench into VC real identity.  Not that it matters, I still have upmost respect for the dedication and excellence over the years. It's probably better if we don't find out.