The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour). Jake Livingstone D - NCAA - NHL Availability

SilentSam

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

If he is having fun ,  sees self improvement , and is given more opportunities in the top six, yes :)

I think it will be a “bridge type deal” 2-3 years ( 3 - 4 ) per ?   See how his game progresses,

Podz will be back up in the new year, and he seems to have a great relationship with EP, and Mihkey.   So glad he picked Vancouver.

Kuzmenko will be 27 before next summer. If he signs a short term deal it's for 6mil on a one year deal. These next two years will be his best chance at cashing out. If he signs a 2-4 year bridge deal is short circuits in 2 years. He'll go into that free agency with no real market pushing 30. At least this summer he can go in like "well, I was pretty close to point per game, I am 27. That's gotta be worth 6mil+."

Also, if he had a real relationship here I think there'd be more talk about him being interested in staying. From what I gather from what little his agent has said it's that there is no rush to work on an extension. Or more likely, we wanna see the free agent market. Which is why I am team trade him. If he stays, it's for a premium. But I am guessing he wants the most dollar he can get in free agency. I don't even think we have the ammunition to re-sign Kuzmenko. Bo needs a new deal, that'll immediately eat the 2.4mil in buyout money coming off the books next summer. And if Bo leaves we have no reason to even want to use that cap space on Kuzmenko going forward. Cause we'll be in a blow it up situation.

But, I suppose there's a chance that some time in May or June he's like "I like it here. Gimme 5x5mil" or something really nice like that. But I just don't see it.

On 12/9/2022 at 2:42 PM, SilentSam said:

BC born NCAA  D man will be a free agent to sign with an NHL Club in a couple of months.

I hope the Canucks are all over this.

ps. I’m sure this will slide through the charts a bit, but wanted to make other posters aware of another exciting time upcoming on the horizon that involves a very good local player from our province.

Please please please please please….

over and over, until the Canucks get a good RHD!

• Vintage 1

On 12/12/2022 at 11:53 PM, N7Nucks said:

Kuzmenko will be 27 before next summer. If he signs a short term deal it's for 6mil on a one year deal. These next two years will be his best chance at cashing out. If he signs a 2-4 year bridge deal is short circuits in 2 years. He'll go into that free agency with no real market pushing 30. At least this summer he can go in like "well, I was pretty close to point per game, I am 27. That's gotta be worth 6mil+."

Also, if he had a real relationship here I think there'd be more talk about him being interested in staying. From what I gather from what little his agent has said it's that there is no rush to work on an extension. Or more likely, we wanna see the free agent market. Which is why I am team trade him. If he stays, it's for a premium. But I am guessing he wants the most dollar he can get in free agency. I don't even think we have the ammunition to re-sign Kuzmenko. Bo needs a new deal, that'll immediately eat the 2.4mil in buyout money coming off the books next summer. And if Bo leaves we have no reason to even want to use that cap space on Kuzmenko going forward. Cause we'll be in a blow it up situation.

But, I suppose there's a chance that some time in May or June he's like "I like it here. Gimme 5x5mil" or something really nice like that. But I just don't see it.

Whatever the deal it has to have no restrictions on trading him later. No more of these NMC and NTC. That's BS.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 6:44 PM, combover said:

It’ll be interesting.

if he isn’t signed by the TDL what to do. 
I think  eps plans will have a lot to do with Kuz as will $$$$

I was stoked  he came here to 

but be honest if your an agent for a player you’d be doing a disservice to your client sending them to van unless $$$ and guaranteed opportunities were big parts of the deal . 

well, Kuzmenko's definitely got a top six role here in Vancouver. 

Money is the other issue...

On 12/13/2022 at 7:40 AM, Phat Fingers said:

Please please please please please….

over and over, until the Canucks get a good RHD!

what does Livingstone project to be in the NHL? bottom pairing defenseman? top four? top pairing? 

30 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

what does Livingstone project to be in the NHL? bottom pairing defenseman? top four? top pairing? 

I think it’s hard to project these guys.

and for dmen it comes down to so many variables.

including system and regular partner.

from what I’ve seen and read of him nothing is guaranteed but he has the tools and size and looks like his game could translate well to being a bottom pairing guy at least with upside for more.

• Cheers 1

On 12/15/2022 at 2:50 PM, EddieVedder said:

Do whatever it takes to sign this guy.  He would be a huge upgrade to the d and grow with the team. 

Can NHL teams talk to Livingstone during the season or have to wait? They must be able to talk as collegiate players often sign with NHL teams as soon as their season is done. Hopefully PA is already doing that with Livingstone. BC boy so get him signed!

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Can NHL teams talk to Livingstone during the season or have to wait? They must be able to talk as collegiate players often sign with NHL teams as soon as their season is done. Hopefully PA is already doing that with Livingstone. BC boy so get him signed!

Sort of. As far as I understand it, they can’t talk with teams about signing contracts, but staff from pro teams (like a Chris Higgins type, for instance) can maintain friendly ties and keep tabs on undrafted college players.

College players can’t have player agents actively representing them while they compete in the NCAA, other than some recent changes regarding NIL (name, image, likeness) representation that’s now being now allowed, so they can’t have an agent doing anything like negotiating a contract until after they’re done with their college career. I think college bound kids are also now allowed to hire a player agent for the years before they actually start playing NCAA, but that representation has to stop while they are at school, and then can restart after.

They definitely can’t talk about contracts, until they’re done with school, without breaking NCAA rules and losing their eligibility. However, there’s clearly enough wiggle room for contact and communication that a college player can get a fairly good idea of what he wants to do, as far as what pro organizations he’d prefer to sign with. There’s also the development camps, where undrafted NCAA players can be invited to participate with a pro team, get to meet the staff, see the facilities, get a sense of the city, etc.

Given that ELC terms negotiation is fairly limited, it really shouldn’t take too long to figure out the nuts and bolts of a deal, once the player is free from their college commitment. When there aren’t any obstacles in place, undrafted college players (at least the more sought-after ones) can and do tend to sign rather quickly, following the conclusion of their season and college playing career.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

On 12/18/2022 at 3:36 AM, EddieVedder said:

Top 4 for sure.  

Wow, if he projects to be a top four defenseman in the NHL, and is RHD, that would be a huge win for this management team. Would be in the step in the right direction. With that being said, I'm not confident that we can land this guy. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, combover said:

I wonder if he’ll be calling his friend Jack Rathbone to find out what life as a Canuck is like. 
just like it’s rumoured McDonough has done. 

spoiler - Were not getting positive reviews 

I am sure Boeser has glowing things to say about management, and some of the fans as well.

• Cheers 1