The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour). Jake Livingstone D - NCAA - NHL Availability

SilentSam

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Haha, yeah. He’ll only have a “family advisor” at this point, but it’s kinda “wink-wink, nudge-nudge” when it comes to agents and skirting NCAA regulations. It’ll be a very quick process, once his college career finishes and he needs official representation for a deal. 

But it’ll be a while yet. Minnesota State (Mankato), Livingstone’s team, will play next on March 18 vs Northern Michigan in the CCHA tournament final. They’re also ranked either 12th or 13th nationally, so even if they lose their conference championship game (winners will get an automatic berth), they’re almost guaranteed to get selected for the NCAA national tournament. Earliest Livingstone should finish his season is March 23rd (first round of nationals). Latest is April 8th (finals).

Considering how late Livingston’s season will go can he sign with us and play enough games to burn a year off his ELC? Offer him that plus getting to play with Hughes on our top pair. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Considering how late Livingston’s season will go can he sign with us and play enough games to burn a year off his ELC? Offer him that plus getting to play with Hughes on our top pair. 

Yeah, there’s time. Even if he wins a national title, he’ll be done April 8th. Canucks last game is April 13th (and they also play the 10th and 11th). 

EDIT: It’s almost like the NCAA schedules their tournament around the NHL, making sure that every graduating player has the opportunity to sign and burn a year. ;) 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The other part of the equation is - do the Canucks have enough cap space to handle the inflated cap hit impact the signing bonus will have once he signs that late into the NHL season?  I'd presume at this point, if we do, we'd only have enough space to sign one more NCAA-based player for this season, unless whoever signs is ok with a 2023-24 contract... :unsure:

I think that “Brogan Rafferty” rule (see end of post) only comes into play on one year ELCs. So it might limit their ability to sign both Malinski and Andreev (since they’re both 24 and looking at one-year deals) to 2022-23 deals that burn the year, but shouldn’t prevent them from signing Livingstone, Hirose, and Bengtsson (23 year olds who should get 2-year ELCs).

Also, I think only Malinski (as a top target on many teams’ lists) really has the leverage to demand a 2022-23 NHL ELC and burn the whole thing.

I’d more expect Andreev to be willing take an AHL ATO for the end of this season and a 2023-24 ELC. Or possibly even just an AHL deal, depending on how much interest he sees from NHL teams.

Plus, the numbers only really get crazy when we get down to 3-4 days left in the season. Hopefully any one-year ELC targets are available with a couple weeks remaining in the NHL season, so those prorated signing bonuses don’t hit nearly as hard.

From CapFriendly:

How is the cap hit calculated for one year contracts signed after the start of the season?

If a player is signed to a one year contract after the start of the NHL season, that contract is subject to a unique cap hit calculation.

A notable aspect of the calculation is that the cap hit value is increased.

The cap hit is calculated as follows:
Cap hit = Signing bonus × total season days / season days remaining + base salary

Example:
Brogan Rafferty of the Vancouver Canucks signed a one year ELC on April 2, 2019. The contract has a base salary of $832,500, a signing bonus of $92,500, and there were 4 days remaining in the 186 day season:
Cap hit = $92,500 × 186 / 4 + $832,500
Cap hit: $5,133,750

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Signing age is the age on 15 September so Livingstone can only sign a 1-year ELC.

Oops. You’re right. McDonough was signing age 23, due to his late birthday, which sorta tripped me up, but the others have their birthdays in the coming months and will be signing age 24.

Hopefully we see our college UDFA targets knocked out in the first round of nationals. That should make their cap hits (including those nasty prorated signing bonuses) something closer to ~1.75M (if they’re signed around March 23-24 and my quick’n’dirty calculations are somewhat close) instead of a Rafferty-like $5M, if they signed April 9th or later.

I also would expect that only the top tier guys (Livingstone, Malinski, etc) on the Canucks’ list will command the 2022-23 deals. Hopefully some of the others will accept a 2023-24.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Jackalman said:

I'm no alphabetasist, but wouldn't that make him plan D?

Nope plan C.

Plan A: Right Shot D men (Livingston, Malinski)

Plan B: Left shot D men (Hirose, Pulli)

Plan C: Center depth (Andreev etc)

With limited contracts to hand out they have to prioritize D first and foremost. If there’s an extra contract for a center after signing them then sure.

But a long shot center man would be a luxury right now. They need to get their NHL center depth in order first.

• Cheers 2

Given some of our current prospects might make the leap to Abby next season , and some extra curricular work to grab a few promising NCAA players,   Abby could be icing a powerhouse next season.…. And the Canucks farm looks to be the brightest it ever has.

Brilliant that they’re FINALLY located within 2hrs of the Canucks training / coaching staff .

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 3/14/2023 at 11:56 AM, DeNiro said:

Nope plan C.

Plan A: Right Shot D men (Livingston, Malinski)

Plan B: Left shot D men (Hirose, Pulli)

Plan C: Center depth (Andreev etc)

With limited contracts to hand out they have to prioritize D first and foremost. If there’s an extra contract for a center after signing them then sure.

But a long shot center man would be a luxury right now. They need to get their NHL center depth in order first.

Sounds like Pulli signed with SJ today.

• Thanks 1