The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Bo goes then get rid of Rutherford!

Rate this topic

Steve The Poolman

29 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I don't give credit to Keenan for "the best team we ever had". Burke orchestrated much of that "best team".

You mean the teams that couldn't get past the 2nd round?

The team that was known as a goalie graveyard?

That team?

Sadly as much as I like the 1994 team and the 2011 team.

We've never had a "best team" that could get the job done.

Maybe someday.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

I was just talking about Conner Garland 

and how he scored 9 goals in his first 15 games

and it was "All Hail the Angry Elf"

he proceeded to score 10 goals in his next 62 games

Likewise the team got really hot when Bruce arrived

but 

went 14-13 from March 1 til seasons end

one game over .500 with some winner points and some loser points does not exactly qualify as an AMAZING late season run

Like Conner Garland, the team was really hot when Bruce arrived, then hot, then not hot to finish off the season

Bruce got 74 of our 92 points last year. 

35 of ourwins and had 15 losses. I'd say that was amazing for us to get 92 points. Really amazing. 

I'm not going to discount his performance last year. 

I think you really have to look at his overall effectiveness. 

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Bruce got 74 of our 92 points last year. 

35 of ourwins and had 15 losses. I'd say that was amazing for us to get 92 points. Really amazing. 

I'm not going to discount his performance last year. 

I think you really have to look at his overall effectiveness. 

how do you feel about Willie Desjardins?

101 point season!!!

• Haha 1

I think this smoke signal that JR has released about Bo likely packing his bags has more to do with a change in culture and leadership that is long overdue.   Bo's a fantastic player and we will surely miss some of what he has brought to the table but after changing GM's, Coaches, Assistant Coaches, Trainers and most of the players, nothing has seemed to shake this team out of their La-Di-Da Country Club Aura.  About the last thing left to try short of a complete teardown, is change the leadership in the locker room and I think that is what this is all about !

• Like 1

This is a mess that's for sure.    Realistically, the 3 guys we can trade easily that aren't cap dumps at this point this year are Schenn, Kuzmo (so far) and Horvat.    Secondary interest Miller and Demko.   Miller because he's cheap this year, and a team might be willing to take him as a summer problem to chase a cup this year.    Brock and Garland are just player for player deals, doubt that works out great for us and not that easy to do when they aren't scoring.  

At this point they need to pick a lane and commit.    Horvat might be forcing it whether management  like's it or not. 

11 hours ago, 6YPE said:

Im not saying it is or isn't about money, I'm not privy to what's going on. I was asking what the max limit is ?? What's acceptable?. What if its only about money and Bo keeps turning them down?? Then what does management do?? 

8 x 8 is probably more then they see worthy.   Can't see a team offering 9 x 7 for a one time 60 point 30 goal scorer ... and no he won't score 60, probably not 50 either.   40's for sure, he's shooting more and once his shooting percentage normalizes, a run of seasons like Naslund  is reasonable, as in two more after this one.   Then a slow decline then a middle six guy for the remainder.   Horvat has his charms and value for sure.    But like almost every player but some superstars, has his blind spots and faults.  

Wanted to sign both Miller and Horvat and trade other guys to fix our D.   Just hope they don't go after a Sutter deal.   As in a foundational guy they pay most of what Horvat would have earned with us anyways (80% and yes i get JB started with Bonino).    This one needs to be more like a Linden trade if this core or what's left of it, has any hope of a quick turnaround. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Keenan traded Linden.  And the futures he got ended up Turing into the leaders of the best team we ever had.  Sadly, our current owner will not allow trades (of key core players, like Bo) for futures.  

This was one of the best trades ever in the organization. Linden went for Bertuzzi and Bryan McCabe as well as a third round pick which turned into Jarko Ruutu.

Mc Cabe became the player traded to Chicago for the pick that allowed us to draft both Sedins. Sadly we get way too emotionally invested in our players here in Vancouver.

If Bo cant be happy making 8 million a year in Vancouver there may be other reasons he wants out.Family pressures or just a new opportunity. I am happy to see a player succeed elsewhere who gave his heart and soul to this team.I just hope we get back assets that make us successful as well.

Sometimes the trade makes sense to the brain just not the heart.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You mean the teams that couldn't get past the 2nd round?

The team that was known as a goalie graveyard?

That team?

Sadly as much as I like the 1994 team and the 2011 team.

We've never had a "best team" that could get the job done.

Maybe someday.

For me, it isn't JUST "cup or bust".....I had some of the best times of my life going to games back then (2010-2011 in particular). It was good hockey....and some of my favourite players who've remained as such gave me (us) some entertaining hockey, even if they fell short. I feel that the "brotherhood" that was established on that team really mattered.

'94 also was amazing so I look back on that as also being a great ride. The "celebration" at BC Place made me forget we lost...felt more like we won. It was incredible.

You're getting jaded my friend. For me, I still focus on the positive because I wouldn't do this thing if it got too negative (lies, I still would). Come back over to the good side, it's more pleasant here.

• Cheers 1

Re: Bo leaving

I'd hate it. He quietly goes about his business and is solid. Love him and it would break my heart but, at this point, maybe it is about getting "louder". Grumpier. He does so many things for us and it doesn't go unnoticed by me. If it is to shake up the room and we need a leadership change, it's sad that he'll be a casualty in that because we'll lose a whole lot of good stuff in him.

I still feel (and hope) this is like JT's negotiations...that they'll find a way to get it done and this is just the cat and mouse stuff. We know something's gotta give but maybe it'll be worked out and he stays. I really hope so...he and JT are a force together and I'd hate to see that end.

But maybe Bo doesn't want to stay and that's his prerogative...I'd wish him well. And we'd get one helluva return for him..but it had better be a defensively focused exchange if it's a trade that sends him off. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

For me, it isn't JUST "cup or bust".....I had some of the best times of my life going to games back then (2010-2011 in particular). It was good hockey....and some of my favourite players who've remained as such gave me (us) some entertaining hockey, even if they fell short. I feel that the "brotherhood" that was established on that team really mattered.

'94 also was amazing so I look back on that as also being a great ride. The "celebration" at BC Place made me forget we lost...felt more like we won. It was incredible.

You're getting jaded my friend. For me, I still focus on the positive because I wouldn't do this thing if it got too negative (lies, I still would). Come back over to the good side, it's more pleasant here.

I'm just tired of quick fixes, I want to see long term, strong growth with the team. Sure it's great to enjoy the ride. But when the puck drops and you don't know what team is going to play that night, it kinda brings you down. It's one of those things that, let's find out what's broken on the team and working on fixing it.

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm just tired of quick fixes, I want to see long term, strong growth with the team. Sure it's great to enjoy the ride. But when the puck drops and you don't know what team is going to play that night, it kinda brings you down. It's one of those things that, let's find out what's broken on the team and working on fixing it.

My fear is that the "finding out what's broken" part may make us worse, not better. There's risk of that. I do understand that risks have to be taken but I don't like panic moves that are reactionary because the team isn't winning consistently. With new players, it can take time and we have some new players who I really like (Mik, Lazar, Kuz, Bear). I want our future to be carefully weighed out and a plan, not one that's abruptly forced.

I'm overly patient at times.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

This is the first Canucks team in 30+ years where I honestly don't care if any of the players on the team now are on it next year.  I don't think this is a team I think it's a collection of individuals all looking out for themselves first.  The only guy who I think is a team first guy is Schenn, which would probably make him my favorite player which is sad cause he is a 6th defenseman.  I'm a Canucks fan for life but I personally can't wait till we move on from this group.  They all want to squeeze the team for every last dollar half of them don't show up at the beginning of the season ready to play and the ones that do, don't show up the following year.  This group is sad.  This management group is also sad, which is making me sad lol.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

My fear is that the "finding out what's broken" part may make us worse, not better. There's risk of that. I do understand that risks have to be taken but I don't like panic moves that are reactionary because the team isn't winning consistently. With new players, it can take time and we have some new players who I really like (Mik, Lazar, Kuz, Bear). 

No, you are a superfan, and I always respect that. I know even great teams are going to lose games. I just would like to see progress at the NHL level. Yes there's bright spots.

And that gives me hope. But seeing such wild results, I know to expect the unexpected. But as a fan it leaves me constantly wondering what the heck is going on?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

My fear is that the "finding out what's broken" part may make us worse, not better. There's risk of that. I do understand that risks have to be taken but I don't like panic moves that are reactionary because the team isn't winning consistently. With new players, it can take time and we have some new players who I really like (Mik, Lazar, Kuz, Bear). 

The turmoil that season has seen , JRs PAs unpopularity. Signing miller before Bo, problems in the room. The girl getting fired, FAs  legal situation I mean it seems endless. But you touch on a good point “takes time” if you couple all the other distracting things added to the new players we already have , personally I think we’re already in that “takes time phase”. All that said. There is hoards of potential with or without Bo. With or without miller. Either one moving out is going to bring a good return. I’m certainly not all down in the dumps about any of it. With the core base adding some more players coming back what’s so bad about that?  I’m looking forward to being excited about the potential of it all. GCG !!!!!

Edited by chon derry
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hiring Rutherford was a bad move. 

you mean selling the team to the aquillinis was a bad move. i believe JR and PA could fix this team. i think linden could have done it but  the owners want to make the playoffs every year even when they are not good enough.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1