The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 19, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Travis Green had to be replaced quickly, the team was suffering. Nobody said Boudreau was going to be a long term solution but someone that could bring positivity 

back to a deflated group. Now it's obvious even he can't do much with this group the way it sits. I have very little faith in Alvin and Rutherford to be able to build a winner

here any time soon. Can they pull off a rebuild? Doubt it.

Exactly.  Green was causing permanent damage with his outright refusal to conduct himself like a professional.  You simply can't allow a locker room cancer to coach the team with no negative consequences.  Bruce was needed after the unqualified baboon he replaced had completely destroyed the team's confidence.

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, R3aL said:

Our team anthem should be a cover of girls just wanna have fun with 

Canucks just wanna have fun 

that would be awesome entry music

then play , "don't worry be happy" when they get scored on

the Canucks like to think of themselves as being cutting edge

what other team has a goal song for goals against?

Edited by lmm
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Maginator said:

No. Trading 3 top 6 players (Garland, Boeser, Horvat) and potentially 2 top 4 defenceman ( Myers, OEL) isn't "finishing touches". Nowhere did I say this will turn around by next year and we will be a playoff team. I can see in 2-3 years time us getting there though.

I'm not going to knock management for the Boeser deal. Like I said in my post there were intangibles that could have effected his game last year (dad, TG). I don't think anyone in their right mind would have just let Boeser walk to Ufa as an unqualified RFA. Unfortunately we were handcuffed by his QO, courtesy of Benning.

Then Miller, I also don't think anyone in their right mind would have walked into this season without a deal for him after coming off 99 points. 80-90% of this board was happy with the signing... It's funny how quickly people turn.

Add-on: I think Alvin and Rutherford haven't been alluding to a quick "finishing touches" turnaround either. What I've gathered from Alvin is he's going to make moves to continue to get younger, and build for the future.

Just because they don't want to sell the entire team and go full Edmonton doesn't mean they aren't aware they need to take a step back in order to get younger & better in the future.

So in other words, making excuses for current management. Got it.

That's not really true. I think it's closer to 60/40, with 60 wanting him to re-sign. I was on trade Miller because he had the highest value we'd seen in years, but I knew we were going to re-sign him. That was just the Canuck way. I don't hate him, I just think we screwed ourselves cap wise by doing so.

Current management was the one who put us back into cap problems. These are rookie moves that shouldn't have been done. It's obvious that we had to trade Miller to free up cap for depth. We have no wiggle room for swapping out players, and we can't take on dead cap to take advantage of teams.

We are also at the bottom.

This is on the current management for accepting the status quo. For crying out loud, nothing was done for defense, except Stillman, who is a tire fire in his own end. That was a terrible trade.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I still there’s good bones in there, it’s just a bad mix of players and a coach who clearly doesn’t care and has little to no structure to his systems.

Firign BB should be the first move

There are definitely a handful of good players but that's not really important anymore.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Isn’t that what they’ve done?  Most teams who go with a youth movement,ent get to this point…….the point where a big b pivot has to be made to build around an emerging core.  Smart GM’s get their teams past this point, others sign MIller’s to retirement contracts.

Not sure what ownership has to do with it

The product on the ice is meaningless until management starts making good decisions. They won't. We're screwed until they're fired which will probably after be next year when we're horrible again. Smart management would have realized the team is poor and needs to revamped, cap space created, and a proper succession plan of draft picks assembled. They've done absolutely nothing in those regards and don't plan to.

They have spent lavishly on luxury items like an adolescent in their first time away from home.

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

So in other words, making excuses for current management. Got it.

That's not really true. I think it's closer to 60/40, with 60 wanting him to re-sign. I was on trade Miller because he had the highest value we'd seen in years, but I knew we were going to re-sign him. That was just the Canuck way. I don't hate him, I just think we screwed ourselves cap wise by doing so.

Current management was the one who put us back into cap problems. These are rookie moves that shouldn't have been done. It's obvious that we had to trade Miller to free up cap for depth. We have no wiggle room for swapping out players, and we can't take on dead cap to take advantage of teams.

We are also at the bottom.

This is on the current management for accepting the status quo. For crying out loud, nothing was done for defense, except Stillman, who is a tire fire in his own end. That was a terrible trade.

Mikhayev has been fine but that money should have been used towards the blueline and/or a Horvat extension.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Im not criticizing Steamer I know he recently lost his wife.

I mean what happened about being Harder to play against.

Surely the front office are all on the same page, I hope so anyway.

Our front office doesn't even know what book they are supposed to be reading.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, J-23 said:

Canucks in win now

BB5DAA97-7398-4AEA-B567-27026F49F21A.thumb.jpeg.03a5ef34fd6e2225be1119e23a22dfd8.jpeg

image.gif.b084424989893b7b5e2f088d3fa2e5c2.gif

what is this

the team with 2 ex-Canuck coaches

the team we traded with for Nikki Goldobin

the team we bailed out but taking OEL 's contract

the team we waisted a 2nd from signing Torts

the team we fleeced in the Kesler deal

the team with our 2nd this year for accepting Dicky

maybe there is a message here about dealing with bottom feeders

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I hoped this would be a step in the right direction this year. I always knew we needed a healthy good Demko to take that step. 

We also needed D -support. When they signed Miller it should have signaled going all in. They didn't, went half assed, didnt adress the D, Demko played crap and got injured.

and here we are. 

They should have been able to add and subtract numbers up to 82.5 and realize we had no money to sign Miller, Boeser, Mikeyhev, and a new defence, plus a third line center. It's annoying how dumb they are.

As much as I don't agree and hate the plan I agree with you. If they wanted to follow that dumb direction they should have probably traded away our future (firsts) and went all in.

Just all around dumb though is hard to take as a fan. We have no future or present.

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

They should have been able to add and subtract numbers up to 82.5 and realize we had no money to sign Miller, Boeser, Mikeyhev, and a new defence, plus a third line center. It's annoying how dumb they are.

As much as I don't agree and hate the plan I agree with you. If they wanted to follow that dumb direction they should have probably traded away our future (firsts) and went all in.

Just all around dumb though is hard to take as a fan. We have no future or present.

Look at the damage Mike Gillis left behind!:ph34r:

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Honestly, this is a good thing.

Get our young players away from the fire for a while. Let them form bonds in the AHL for the rest of the season. It will pay off in the long run to keep them away from this mess…

Just role out vets, make trades, clear out some cap for the rest of the season. It’s the best course of action.

I think we can all now accept the loss of Horvat…yes he is having a monster season…but thar monster sure goes away quickly when Petey is off the roster…seems to me Bo benefits a lot from opposing teams focusing their efforts on Petey instead of him. Cause I sure haven’t noticed him the last 2 games.

• Cheers 1