The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] time to change up our PK (assistants) coaching staff?

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

[Poll] Time to change up our PK (assistants) coaching staff?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Not sure how we can be dead last in the league approaching the halfway mark, without some accountability.

According to this, Yeo and Cull head up the PK:

https://www.vancouverhockeynow.com/2022/09/10/vancouver-canucks-mike-yeo-nhl-penalty-kill-bruce-boudreau

a good article that compares year over year, and discusses systems v. personnel

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/the-canucks-penalty-kill-is-once-again-historically-bad-6119955

Time for a change!

I agree with you totally with you Kenny

Last year Garland was a + player at even strength, he should be able to play PK

Mikheyev ( how ever you spell it?).........Toronto PK last year

Pettersson................................Solid Pker

Scheen.....................................Solid Pker

Who else?.................it's the friggin Ass Coaches

Boudreau mentions that Yeo studies the 5 best PK’s to develop our ‘system.’

A better approach might be to look at the skills/talent on our roster, and create something that builds off our unique strengths and talents.

He also mentioned that many of our PKers are also on the PP, so they can’t practice it ?!?!

this sounds very solvable, Lol

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Thanks 1

The way I see it, the main issue at the moment is the personnel.

But, saying that, although the coaching staff isn't the main issue, they are also not the solution, that includes Bruce.

Just wait until the off season, hire the coach that you want who has the structural and leadership qualities required and let him hire his assistants moving forward.

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think we can find better assistant coaches than Mike Yeo and Jason King that will help our special teams.

I introduce to you, two coaches infinitely better than Yeo and King

Ladies and gentlemen, your new Vancouver Canucks assistant coaches

Animated GIF

Fire Trash GIF

The Fyre brothers, Coach Dumpster Fyre and Tyre Fyre.  I believe they're swedish :bigblush:

Edited by Warhippy

55 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Which unit do you want to take Petey off of?

For games? I like having him on both.

For practice? Just alternate…there’s two units for each. Or bring in another team (UBC?) to play against, if they can. He just made it sound like they couldn’t practice PK if they’re on the PP.  Maybe I’m missing something

5 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Not sure how we can be dead last in the league approaching the halfway mark, without some accountability.

According to this, Yeo and Cull head up the PK:

https://www.vancouverhockeynow.com/2022/09/10/vancouver-canucks-mike-yeo-nhl-penalty-kill-bruce-boudreau

a good article that compares year over year, and discusses systems v. personnel

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/the-canucks-penalty-kill-is-once-again-historically-bad-6119955

Time for a change!

The guys management wanted lol

26 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I hope they don’t wait til next season to make a change.

Come on man, Alvin and Rutherford and their army of assistant GM's need time to assess

Is this bag of poo smelly?

Is it brown?

What kind of poo is it?

Is it really bad to have poo? Maybe bags of poo are ok?

Let's bring in someone to assess the poo

Then they will hire some consultants to tell them how to manage the poo in the interim

This should take us into about the trade deadline next year before they realize its a bag of poo, it stinks and no one should keep a bag of poo

• Haha 2

My guess is they are waiting out contracts. Any other notable coaches with contracts coming up soon? I don't see Boudreau as a long term piece. But if I recall management don't exactly have long term deals either. So I wonder just how set in stone we can be with coaches. This franchise really does lack any direction. Lol.

I have no clue what we are, what we are looking to do. We should blow it up. But we seemingly don't have long term pieces in management and looking like no long term head coach. We don't have the core to be buyers. We aren't making moves to make draft moves as evident by the Miller contract.

As soon as I saw Yeo signed I knew this team would go south. Every team he's been on has been terrible. We seem to be hiring the worst of the worst. I wasn't a fan of signing JR - sure he's won some cups but he's also made some really embarrassing trades in his time. Then we sign a rookie GM who is expected to clean up a massive cap hell JB left us in. We sign a great coach in BB and don't back him. He had some great assistants last year which is (IMO) the main reason we played so well in the second half, then they all disappear and we're left with Cull and Yeo who has destroyed every franchise he's touched, and he's doing his best to tank us as well.

As good as BB is, you can only go as far as your assistants and Yeo is really holding him back. There's a reason AV's record was so good - he had Bowness as his right hand man who is arguably one of the best head coaches in the league now.

Assistant coaches don't get talked about enough but they have a huge impact on the team and a direct impact on these skilled portions of the games like faceoffs and special teams and boy do we suddenly suck at all of them despite minimal personnel change on the ice in the off-season. Sadly we don't see mid-season assistant firings so will have to wait to the off-season to change up shop and sadly I think BB's head will roll as a result rather than Yeo's. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

As soon as I saw Yeo signed I knew this team would go south. Every team he's been on has been terrible. We seem to be hiring the worst of the worst. I wasn't a fan of signing JR - sure he's won some cups but he's also made some really embarrassing trades in his time. Then we sign a rookie GM who is expected to clean up a massive cap hell JB left us in. We sign a great coach in BB and don't back him. He had some great assistants last year which is (IMO) the main reason we played so well in the second half, then they all disappear and we're left with Cull and Yeo who has destroyed every franchise he's touched, and he's doing his best to tank us as well.

As good as BB is, you can only go as far as your assistants and Yeo is really holding him back. There's a reason AV's record was so good - he had Bowness as his right hand man who is arguably one of the best head coaches in the league now.

Assistant coaches don't get talked about enough but they have a huge impact on the team and a direct impact on these skilled portions of the games like faceoffs and special teams and boy do we suddenly suck at all of them despite minimal personnel change on the ice in the off-season. Sadly we don't see mid-season assistant firings so will have to wait to the off-season to change up shop and sadly I think BB's head will roll as a result rather than Yeo's. 

The main issue this year has been systems.   Yeo was specifically hired to fix the systems; instead they have gotten worse.  The roster on paper is as good or better than last year, so we're not looking at a complex, multi-variable equation here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Well? Do ya' wanna tank, or not! Kidding aside..........

I dunno. Maybe that was management's plan all along; bring in a flawed assistant coach in Yeo for Bruce, make BB look bad, give Bruce his walking papers, then watch our team with evil smiles, rubbing they're collective hands together in knowing they've hatched their evil plan to tank, dismantle the core, and draft Bedard.

Seems logical.......or not! Guess I didn't put the kidding aside, huh..........

Go Canucks Go!