The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. New York Islanders | Jan. 3rd, 2023 | SNP, 7:00PM PT | New Years Edition

Rate this topic

Roberts

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

So what? I don't see anything wrong with folks who'd rather us bottom out also wanting to see effort on the ice, or with wanting to be entertained. That's what sports are about after all, entertainment. 

Effort is important, even if we bottom out we're going to need effort going forward beyond this season. 

I want the team to be highly competitive and lose. Think about that statement. 

I agree effort is very important but if one truly wants to tank. What’s there to complain about after a loss lol. It’s contradictory 

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I support the tank while simultaneously wishing for certain players to be moved out. 

But that being said, just because some folks would rather us bottom out doesn't mean we want to see a complete lack of effort. Every player on the team is being handsomely compensated to play a game, if they're not living up to their contracts people are going to talk about it. If criticism is warranted at times so is praise, it goes both ways and everywhere in-between. If you want to cheer for wins and revel in victory go for it, but you're not going to get the zen CDC you envision. 

It's a discussion board, folks are going to discuss.  

Luitenant chon reporting for duty. On team tank.the way things are becoming hopeless  I’ve been cheering for success this whole time and never thought I’d say it but I’ve been losing at this hope for winning so the reverse logic thing just might work ,maybe we can win at losing A363CEBA-BACA-401F-915E-45AA73DC2BE7.thumb.jpeg.db28609bc2233ab22907eefce2ba0397.jpeg

Edited by chon derry
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Devron said:

I want the team to be highly competitive and lose. Think about that statement. 

I agree effort is very important but if one truly wants to tank. What’s there to complain about after a loss lol. It’s contradictory 

That's not what I said, I said I want effort and to be entertained. I didn't say anything about us being highly competitive, I don't expect that. 

But I do want them to go out there and try, I don't think anyone who's rooting for a tank is expecting the guys to go out there and try to lose. I just don't believe we're good enough to win more often than not. 

Effort is important, and it'll be a big part of what builds the culture of the next core. 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, grumpyone said:

The Lindros trade was him for Peter Forsberg, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, future considerations —which eventually became Chris Simon — two first-round draft picks, and $15 million.

If you added one more 1st rounder to my offer it works out pretty close. ( you can't trade cash nowadays )

I'm pretty sure there was no salary cap back then and a completely different landscape. There is no way that remotely comes anywhere near getting it done imo. The offer would have to be absolutely insane. Petey, Hughes, Demko, Pods, D-Petey and 5 firsts just to get the ball rolling.

Boeser, Myers, Pearson, are all camp dumps. That's negative value. No one in their right mind is taking that for Bedard. Miller is evenish.

Edit: Remember that was a forced trade.

Edited by Gawdzukes

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's not what I said, I said I want effort and to be entertained. I didn't say anything about us being highly competitive, I don't expect that. 

But I do want them to go out there and try, I don't think anyone who's rooting for a tank is expecting the guys to go out there and try to lose. I just don't believe we're good enough to win more often than not. 

Effort is important, and it'll be a big part of what builds the culture of the next core. 

Agreed

• Like 2

I want the best for this team, and the best is Conor Bedard. He would completely change the Canucks for the better.

Doesn't feel great hoping for a loss, but it sure doesn't feel great hoping for wins and seeing this team perform the way they have.  Year after year hoping for playoffs and never being good enough. Enough of that plan, it isn't working. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Zerofaith said:

Mind your own business then don’t tell people what to or not to post 

Are you having trouble following along?

I said posters 'should'...then followed up with ' I dont expect a lot of CDC to agree with me'. Really my first statement was about what I percieve as a contradiction in some posters.

As I understand what the great poster @Coconuts points out...it's a discussion board.

But you, you had to get crude and edgy, right out of the gate without any real reason. Because I was 'tellng' you what to do? 

Weaksauce. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1

12 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

The “tank” that’s acceptable is one in which management moves out skilled veterans for futures, thereby allowing young 20-22 year olds (Hoglander, podkolzin, even Rathbone) to play. They’ll try their best and give an incredible effort, but by virtue of inexperience, we likely will win less. 

im 100% okay with that, and would even be stoked to watch a game where we lose, but we get to see podkolzin on the power play or get some time in OT. 

I honestly think that’s our best course of action. 1-2 years of that would put us in a great position for the decade that follows. 

For sure, if we move out guys like Horvat, Miller, Myers, ect and bring in futures, prospects, and young NHL players that'd be awesome. I'd sit and watch the growing pains, because of course there'd be some, but at least we'd be building towards something. I don't believe this veteran part of this current core is going to accomplish anything in Vancouver but that doesn't mean I don't believe we couldn't build a good team around some of the younger pieces we've already got. This isn't to say I think said vets are awful, I argued that we could probably be competitive this season if we flipped Miller, addressed our D, signed Horvat, and ran with him and Pettersson as our 1-2 punch. In retrospect I still think we'd be as competitive as we currently are, if not moreso with a better D. 

But hey, things have shifted and I don't think Horvat will extend. I don't hold that against him. Players only get to play for so long, careers can be brief and I wouldn't begrudge him wanting to go somewhere where he could make the playoffs consistently. 

I'd like to see something similar to what we're seeing in Abbotsford in Vancouver, they're a fun team with some young talent playing some exciting hockey. I'd make the trek to Vancouver to see a young team like that, winning team or not. 

I don't think a rebuild would necessarily have to be what Edmonton or Buffalo went through, and really, even if it went that way I've already sat and watched the team flounder the last ten years anyway. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2